[GIT] Docks

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Frictor
Peon
Peon

Re: [WIP] Tulimshar docks

Post by Frictor »

Fother J, I'd like to apologize for the lack of proper documentation on that tile set. The issue has been fixed, but it will likely cause you and at least one other tile artist some trouble with ongoing projects such as this. Hopefully the required modifications can be done without losing too much. :oops:

The original source for Aethyra's docks tile set was Legends of Mazzeroth.
http://lom.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/l ... athrev=139

From what I understand of their art repositories, if it didn't come directly from TMW, then the art was probably Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike license, which seems to be avoided by the TMW devs for whatever reason. The contact with them for those tiles, if you're concerned about this, is leeor_net. You can probably contact other members of their team to get in touch with him if you need to.

Aethyra's own contact with the LoM group has actually been quite helpful in getting a Mac client up and running for us, and if you've merged the changes, and made the builds, you too I expect. If you need more information to find out about licensing changes for the tileset, feel free to contact an Aethyra staff member for more details. (And yes, I am one of those.)
On these forums I am primarily a messenger and an observer, so please don't shoot me! :P
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Frictor wrote:Fother J, I'd like to apologize for the lack of proper documentation on that tile set. The issue has been fixed, but it will likely cause you and at least one other tile artist some trouble with ongoing projects such as this. Hopefully the required modifications can be done without losing too much. :oops:

The original source for Aethyra's docks tile set was Legends of Mazzeroth.
http://lom.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/l ... athrev=139
You should tell everyone that got the tiles from you about the mix up.
Frictor wrote:From what I understand of their art repositories, if it didn't come directly from TMW, then the art was probably Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike license, which seems to be avoided by the TMW devs for whatever reason. The contact with them for those tiles, if you're concerned about this, is leeor_net. You can probably contact other members of their team to get in touch with him if you need to.
NC is incompatible with the GPL, and we want to only use the GPL.
Frictor wrote:Aethyra's own contact with the LoM group has actually been quite helpful in getting a Mac client up and running for us, and if you've merged the changes, and made the builds, you too I expect. If you need more information to find out about licensing changes for the tileset, feel free to contact an Aethyra staff member for more details. (And yes, I am one of those.)
We already had functioning OSX builds.
Seradest
Novice
Novice

Post by Seradest »

That Mean we can use it and i work for nothing ?
Frictor
Peon
Peon

Post by Frictor »

The other person was informed in IRC. As for using this tileset, that's an issue for TMW staff to deal with.

Also, I'm no lawyer, so I know little to nothing about what's compatable with the GPL.
On these forums I am primarily a messenger and an observer, so please don't shoot me! :P
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Frictor wrote:The other person was informed in IRC. As for using this tileset, that's an issue for TMW staff to deal with.

Also, I'm no lawyer, so I know little to nothing about what's compatable with the GPL.
I don't think you understand. If you released the tileset, you need to make sure everyone who downloaded an update zip, and even checked it our from your SVN repository, that the license isn't actually GPL v2 or later.

This is one reason why we only distribute GPL(-compatible) stuff.
Fother
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Fother »

Now this is momentum! Thank you everyone for working on this!

Seradest, I love the column improvement, you saved me work for replacing them, and yours looks a lot better than the rounded dock legs I was trying to add this morning! I'll pry through your PSD and grab them back into the tile set!
EJlol wrote:to give the tileset even more depth the / part of the should be a bit lighter. and the \ part should be a bit darker (because of the sun).
No problem, I'll go in and change these. :o
niels.ellegaard wrote:Just an idea: I tried decreasing the width of some of the boards, and I think that gives a slightly better 3D effect. The red line marks the width that has been decreased.
Looks a lot better, I'll copy these back into the set.

Frictor, thank you again! I probably should've asked you about it's stats before trying to mod it... but luckily the last remnants of any of the LoM set are in the texture for the dock planks themselves (which Ejlol was wanting to replace anyhow).

I'll post the changes/imports into the tileset in a little while (unless somebody beats me to it, :lol: ).

EDIT: When I was posting this, Frictor was the last message, but it looks like an entire conversation got posted by the time i submitted this, lol.
"Fother" Jarrett Huxley
Evil Pixel Artist
Wiki Page | Trello | Google+ Profile
Seradest
Novice
Novice

Post by Seradest »

oh cool ^^
i mean its funny too help
Frictor
Peon
Peon

Post by Frictor »

Sorry Jaxad, but I'm just the messenger today, and neither the software nor the art is under AGPL.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Frictor wrote:Sorry Jaxad, but I'm just the messenger today, and neither the software nor the art is under AGPL.
The person that initially committed it broke the copyright on the piece by breaking it's license. The AGPL has nothing to do with this.
Fother
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Fother »

Alright, suggestions/changes imported (beam, north/south perspective fix, innershadow), needless tiles removed, and CC LoM tiles removed/replaced with new ones. Also resized and reorganized to 512 px wide, so more rows can be added without it shifting in tiled. I have to make the shadow set from this (which shouldn't be too hard, unless someone else wants to give it a go before I come home from work ), plus I need to finish up some of the accessory tiles from the x2 set (stuff you'd expect to be laying around a dock/boardwalk) and post those this weekend.
Attachments
tulimshar_docks_x1.png
tulimshar_docks_x1.png (50.6 KiB) Viewed 1576 times
Last edited by Fother on 06 Mar 2009, 14:21, edited 2 times in total.
"Fother" Jarrett Huxley
Evil Pixel Artist
Seradest
Novice
Novice

Post by Seradest »

Fother J wrote:Alright, suggestions/changes imported (beam, north/south perspective fix, innershadow), needless tiles removed, and CC LoM tiles removed/replaced with new ones. Also resized and reorganized to 512 px wide, so more rows can be added without it shifting in tiled. I have to make the shadow set from this (which shouldn't be too hard, unless someone else wants to give it a go before I come home from work ), plus I need to finish up some of the accessory tiles from the x2 set (stuff you'd expect to be laying around a dock/boardwalk) and post those this weekend.

What is this ?
Why can we see the end of the joist ?
Its a Question dont think i am angree or so XD

And by the way can we use this titleset in smaler for bridges in the forest who are only yellow woods ?
Fother
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Fother »

Seradest wrote:Why can we see the end of the joist ?
Its a Question dont think i am angree or so XD

And by the way can we use this titleset in smaler for bridges in the forest who are only yellow woods ?
There were points intersecting the docks where I grew up every so many planks (and they were mostly flush to the level of the planks themselves, though I did tripped on them a few times. They don't have to be used however, since tiles 1 and 3 (at least I think the index in tiled starts at 0 for the first tile) could be used instead, and the east-west dock legs could go either way and still look fine. I edited my previous message to include a tile that didn't seem to make it into the last post.

As far as reusing these for the woodland (due to the new trees being more towards yellow than red), this might look odd when paired with the fences and houses since they're more of a red wood. These docks are intended for Tulimshar, and it's likely the ones for the Hurnscald Woodlands will either be a different distinctive style or maybe even a re-color... but that's just my speculation... Jaxad0127 knows the details.
"Fother" Jarrett Huxley
Evil Pixel Artist
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

(I made this picture before you posted the latest tileset with that extra tile, and I was to lazy to check if you fixed it already, so if you already fixed it, don't hit me please :P )

Yellow and Purple: I'm missing parts here, most of the times I'm missing beams. though the / part are missing the side things
Red: They look like they have the same height as the dock, ehm, well they just look weird :S (My english sucks to much explain it properly :wink: )
Green: There are 2 lines on that tile
Orange: Some tiles are 1px off. The beam that hits the water is 1px smaller.
Blue: I want a tile without the beam here, I couldn't find it on the tileset?
Black: That one is my fault, I forgot to add the correct tile there :P
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

When you make the east ramp darker you should also make the west ramp brighter.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Fother
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Fother »

My fault, I posted that change a bit hastly last night and retouched it again in the morning. The proper thing to have done would've been to test it myself before posting. :oops: The west ramp is lighter, but not enough where it's noticeable, and perhaps the east ramp is too dark? I'll also correct the outer planks caps (they're too bright, and inconsistently shaped). I'll also add in beam connectors tiles for the ramps and add in the missing plank caps).

I'll make the corrections/additions once I'm home from work somewhere in the next 6 hrs. If there's any other tiles that you think should be added to the x1 set, please let me know (broken planks, etc). Also should the shadow set be added within this set or retained for a x1b set that closely matches where these tiles are located on x1? Thank you all again for your help! :D
"Fother" Jarrett Huxley
Evil Pixel Artist