Sprite Faces and Hair

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Kineticstorm
Novice
Novice

Sprite Faces and Hair

Post by Kineticstorm »

Since I didn't see any different faces and hair for the new sprites yet I made some. I am not going to finish them until I get an answer that they are good enough. Talaroc and other graphics people can most likely do a better job but thats why I am posting this to see if these faces/hairs are good enough to be for the player in the game. If they aren't good enough then I won't finish them but maybe they can be like NPC hair or somethin'. :wink:

Tell me whatcha guys think, :wink:
I love you too. :)
Ghost
Peon
Peon

Post by Ghost »

:? You're not on the graphics team why? (assuming that you're not)

:P Those look terrific. I'm pretty sure they'll put those in the next release. :x Including more skin colors.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Really nice! :D
No other comment

I'll get my mowhawk to fit on the new character sprite too. :wink:
Oh, and are we going to switch to greyscale in-game colorizable hair (and other objects)? It would spare a lot of colorizing and filesize and it will give more variaty/freedom to the game.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
HaLLanHype
Novice
Novice

Post by HaLLanHype »

Looks pretty good
Kineticstorm
Novice
Novice

Post by Kineticstorm »

Heh, thanks guys but the hairs need a bit more work...
Like I said I won't finish them until some graphics people who can do better respond and tell me what they think... If someone is doing hair already and my style doesn't fit their style and they are better, then I won't finish em.
Ghost wrote::? You're not on the graphics team why? (assuming that you're not)
No, I am not on the graphics team and I kind of don't want to be. I don't like making spriting into a job. I just like to sprite stuff that comes into my head. I want to be able to play the game without having to worry about making something before the deadline. Basically I'm a player that likes to help make games. :?
If that make sense to anyone...
Modanung wrote:Oh, and are we going to switch to greyscale in-game colorizable hair (and other objects)?
That would be cool. :wink:
I also want to know the answer to that.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

I think my hair (showed in my avatar) is the only other high-res hairstyle that has been done... I haven't seen any other for that matter.

Oh and I thought of a comment... maybe it could use some shadow (more dark pixels on the right side), I think it will add some depth. But I think Rotonen will decide that.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

I think they're very nice. Indeed Modanung's Mohawk was the only other new hair style that has been drawn. Some of the heads seem to need more shading indeed, for example comparing the light blue with the yellow one, but you already said it needed some more work.

And don't worry about Talaroc maybe being able to do better ones. We have such loads of graphics to do, and I guess Talaroc will speak up when he sees some areas that you could improve. I think this hair looks perfectly fine though.
Kineticstorm
Novice
Novice

Post by Kineticstorm »

Thanks, and the hairs do need more work but I got sorta lazy... :oops:

Also, I might reconsider joining the graphics team (If I am accepted...) since its summer now and schools out... and I will have ALOT of free time. :wink:

No one commented on the faces yet... :?
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

I think it looks good. :)

I'd just say this: remember to make the hair and face graphics separate, so that people can change their hair in-game (I'm pretty sure this was an intended feature, yes?) and so that all permutations are possible.

So yeah, keep it going--a wide variety of hairstyles and faces (male and female) is ideal. I'll be doing both male and female sprites, as well as a variety of skin tones.

And in any case, don't worry about what "people on the graphics team" can do. The only reason my graphics are coming out as well as they are is because I'm taking for-freaking-ever to do them, and like Bjørn said, we need a lot of graphics. Yours look like they're coming along nicely, so keep 'em coming!
Kineticstorm
Novice
Novice

Post by Kineticstorm »

Yeah, I was going to make the hair seperate but I think it looks better with the faces attatched. :wink:

I guess I'll work on them more and do all the views.

And I'll try to do some clothes/armor maybe.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Really nice work, some of them are really cool, and if you want to join the development team, well let me say you're welcome, just talk with Rotonen on #tmwart
Kineticstorm
Novice
Novice

Post by Kineticstorm »

I finished the 4 views for each hair and face.
I didn't do any other colors but purple because its my favorite. :wink:
Tell me what you guys think, :)

Hair and face together.

Hair without face.

Face without hair.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Wow, really nice... I espacially like the top one.
Great work.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Very cool indeed! Sorry, can't think of any criticism about this. :)
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

I like the long hair style. Maybe you could try different color combinations? Since I don't like the ones I choosed for blonde for example