Sprite Faces and Hair

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Kinetic wrote:So... it's like a mohawk?
Yes and no. Undercut hairstyle only has hair on the top of the head, mohawk also has hair on the back.
So undercut is more like an ellipse-shaped patch of hair.
Like the dude from the Cruxshadows.
And the synthplayer of Gottes Finsterniss, but I couldn't find any pictures of him. :roll:
Oh, and maybe the military 'flattop' hairstyle could also be called undercut?
Last edited by Modanung on 19 Jan 2006, 16:32, edited 1 time in total.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Kineticstorm
Novice
Novice

Post by Kineticstorm »

Modanung wrote:Yes and no. Undercut hairstyle only has hair on the top of the head, mohawk also has hair on the back.
Oh, and maybe the military 'flattop' hairstyle could also be called undercut?
Thats what I was thinking an undercut was. 8)
I can probably make it later if I feel like it... because I have more important things to do at the moment.
Matt wrote:We need beards !!!!
Yes, I want beards and goatees too... I will most likely make them when I make the undercut hairstyle. :wink:
I love you too. :)
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

ktm wrote:looks mor like a mullet if you ask me, only with dreadlocks. that reminds me, we also need said mohawk. and a stained wife beater and a can of cheap beer we can equip
Hahaha

A flattop would not look good in the game.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Why not? It's an artist's mission to make everything look good... and I don't see why we wouldn't succeed in doing a cool flattop.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
degen
Novice
Novice

Post by degen »

hmm i dont think the millitary flattop would look bad, kinetic is great at doing hairstyles i belive ha vcan make one for flattop's as well :)
Let em tell da' king
Da the east belongs to Morglum
Da east belongs to da orcs
Da east is green
Adarias
Peon
Peon

Post by Adarias »

Ive expanded the 3 hairstyles that are set for the male sprites so that they can be used on the entire set, and done in a wide array of colors to choose from, an array that im sure will be added to when people start saying things like 'wheres my hott pink?'

more to come, more to come.....
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Those colors look really nice. One thing to note though, in the long term we plan to implement a dynamic coloring system so that for example this hair sprite is only needed in grey, but will take any color in the game.
Adarias
Peon
Peon

Post by Adarias »

I feel the need to say though that colorize functions are ugly as anything and dont add a tremendous amount to the gameplay, but that will be debated later down the line. you will note that none of these stick to one H value, and thats the reason the colors look nice
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

But they do have about the same highlight overlay, right? So you could have a version without the highlights and place a translucent highlight-bitmap over it.
But you're right about the debate thing I guess. :)
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

This is where function takes precedence over form.
Adarias
Peon
Peon

Post by Adarias »

I lost this same argument on another project so i wont give much of a fight lol, but those sprites were smaller and it was uniform color, not haircolor.....(oversaturation and no color mixing can make hair look very odd indeed)
Kineticstorm
Novice
Novice

Post by Kineticstorm »

Those are very nice colors and edits... but I think you should have edited my new remade hairstyles instead of those old ones.

Nice job anyway. :D
I love you too. :)
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Yeah, my fault. I gave him the wrong one. :P
bahamutian
Peon
Peon

Post by bahamutian »

Well, from the looks of it, you already have the correct hue/saturation values for those colors to make them look right.

Truthfully, hair color only has to be handled client wise and the data representing it transfered from server to client.

I know that TMW is no longer using Allegro, but I'm going to assume that there is some kind of blit and masked blit function.

It should be possible to create a function to fill in the necessary values and use a grey-scaled source. For example, a yellow would have a specific H value corresponding to it, while a red hair color would have a different H value corresponding to it. The client could keep a Linked list or an array list of currently loaded hair sprites (including color). Coloring in the hair would be a bit-by-bit search for the grey color and then replacing it with the proper color and H value. THe lists of colors and H values would be stored on the client, so all the information that the client needs is the ID of the character and the color one time, or whenever it has been changed. This would not be saved on exiting TMW, so as to not have to keep a long term storage of changed values. I probably left out a little logic there, so if it doesnt make sense, ask and I'll clarify.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Adarias has a point about unnatural colours...
I was thinking... what if we use the three base colours as three hair sprites. So a bright red one, a bright green one and a bright blue one. And a white and black one for saturation and brightness. These could be mixed.
I'll try it out after I've deliverd NP's.