Emoticons contest

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Oh I misunerstood you, anyway I still agree with Modanung, I like the way they are now, even though this one could be a nice and innovative idea which should not be discarded, I'll keep evaluating it...
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

I don't want people to spam my chatwindow with truckloads of smilies.
I don't mind them having a maximum of one smiley floating above their head though.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Verious
Peon
Peon

Post by Verious »

I think it would work best if the emotion icon was only sent with a chat message and not by itself. Theoretically, it wouldn't take any additional space in the chat window since it would appear next to the message.

It could also be regulated by all of the standard chat functionality such as time between broadcasts and other anti-spam techniques.

There could also be a checkbox to turn this feature on/off.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

I think it will cause people to send a lot of single character messages just to show an emoticon.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Ok the contest is over. We have no winners though but Modanung will probably continue to work on his smilies set when not doing other tasks.

Thank you anyway for ideas provided
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

Modanung wrote:Making things smaller is easy, making things larger is another thing.
How true, how true.
ktm
Novice
Novice

Post by ktm »

Elven Programmer wrote:Just a quick idea, if we want to implement both and expression of emotion is expressed by face than it could be probably more interesting have a symbol over his head more than a face showing again the same expression. I was
thinking in particular at those you can find in anime:
[...]
and many others such an beating heart, broken heart, waterfalls when crying, black smoke and whatever you can think on
awesome idea ^_^
one could easily do that, too, simply by increasing the emoticon size (and subsequently use only parts of it) so it partly overlaps the player, like so:
we'd want animated images then, to let the sweat drop flow down a few px etc
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

To be honest, i've played games with both and it doesn't really matter. What's important is that you key in on the emotion and really get the player to identify with it. Everything else is a footnote of a footnote at best.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Just posting the latest update:

Added some smilies and I changed the base sphere, they're all more spherish now.
Tenche
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tenche »

nice ones ;)
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

If i may:
Bottom right, the confused one. Try making his mouth a smaller version of the mouth of the one above it (minus the tongue, of course). And if you're looking for emotion ideas, all the ones like O_o are great inspiration. i'd suggest one with the smiley narrowing his eyes at the player in scorn.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

It was meant as a frightened/schocked smiley... the confused one is still to come.

This one is for "WHAAA, GIANT SLIMEY MONSTER!!!" and "WHAT?! You sold the heavy armor you borrowed from me for 50 GP?!?!"

But ofcourse you may. ;)
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Do me a :] .
This message used to be meaningful.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

And what about a T_T ^_^ XD OO' :P
Hehe I know yoiu don't like at least 3 of them
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Rotonen wrote:Do me a :] .
A WHAT? :?