[WIP] yeti

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

hkurn
Peon
Peon

Re: [WIP] yeti

Post by hkurn »

yes bcs68! :D really great pose!
this is shading WIP:
yeti_front_mad.png
yeti_front_mad.png (1.17 KiB) Viewed 3761 times
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Next to playerset:
yeti_front_mad.png
yeti_front_mad.png (5.4 KiB) Viewed 3761 times
While editing the picture I noticed that it is in 256 color mode. It is not necessary to adhere to any palette restriction. You can use full 32bit RGB with alpha channel.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
hkurn
Peon
Peon

Post by hkurn »

I'm using only 14 different colors, that's why I don't need full RGB ;)
anyway, here is one finished shaded frame:
yeti_front_mad1.png
yeti_front_mad1.png (1.29 KiB) Viewed 3699 times
and a first try at walking animation:
yeti_front_mad1_anim2.gif
yeti_front_mad1_anim2.gif (4.7 KiB) Viewed 3670 times
please comment :)
John P
Warrior
Warrior

Post by John P »

he is hilariously scary... or scarily hilarious, I'm not sure which.
gnowun uno
Peon
Peon

Post by gnowun uno »

Looking kool so far. Can't wait until its finished and ingame. :D
---
Your mileage may vary. Void where prohibited, licensed or taxed.
Ces
Novice
Novice

Post by Ces »

The head movement looks a little off to me. I’m not sure of this, but maybe some vertical movement as well?

I like the yeti concept. The style actually reminds me of several comics and animations I loved when I was younger. :mrgreen:
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

heh, that will look funny ingame on a map with 10-20 yetis around :)
Fother
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Fother »

Honestly... keep it without the fur texture (if you do add a little, add a bunching of fur here and there [lightly, but not too much])... it looks really good like this... now I'm dying to see the left/right and up movements :D

I'm also curious as to the attack (snow ape slap with bottom jaw teeth showing?), and the death animation of course! (falls on butt real hard and then falls back?)

Awesome 8)
"Fother" Jarrett Huxley
Evil Pixel Artist
Wiki Page | Trello | Google+ Profile
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

hkurn wrote:Image
Sorry, but the arm movement looks a bit stupid to me. I think it looks more like climbing* than walking. How about trying a horizontal movement instead where both fist are alternately in front of the chest?
Fother J wrote:Honestly... keep it without the fur texture (if you do add a little, add a bunching of fur here and there [lightly, but not too much])... it looks really good like this...
My vote is for keeping the fur texture.

*no, we won't have a climb animation, especially not for monsters.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
hkurn
Peon
Peon

Post by hkurn »

Ces wrote:The head movement looks a little off to me. I’m not sure of this, but maybe some vertical movement as well?
I'll have to see how it looks really walking (with movement on the screen), then maybe add vertical head movement.
Crush wrote:Sorry, but the arm movement looks a bit stupid to me. I think it looks more like climbing* than walking. How about trying a horizontal movement instead where both fist are alternately in front of the chest?
yes I didn't spend much time on the arms.. i have to draw an arm that is halfway between the frontmost pose and the fully retracted pose, and the left arm goes from fully extended to half-way back and the right arm goes from the base frame to the medium pose.. that way I only have to draw one additional arm position.. I think it could work better that way than now.
Crush wrote:My vote is for keeping the fur texture.
I think once I have a good animation I'll shade with fur and see how the result looks like.. I'll see from there.

But now some other stuff: I just sketched a more aggressive sideways pose, can you please comment on the aggressiveness and the plausibility of the stance belonging to a yeti?
yeti_left.png
yeti_left.png (3.66 KiB) Viewed 3539 times
edit: I just changed the animation.. I'm not entirely happy yet, but let you comment first:
yeti_front_mad1_anim4.gif
yeti_front_mad1_anim4.gif (4.48 KiB) Viewed 3526 times
edit2: another version:
yeti_front_mad1_anim5.gif
yeti_front_mad1_anim5.gif (4.52 KiB) Viewed 3527 times
hkurn
Peon
Peon

Post by hkurn »

yet another version... :shock: (cannot attach more than 3 attachments)
yeti_front_mad1_anim6.gif
yeti_front_mad1_anim6.gif (4.43 KiB) Viewed 3518 times
in this animation the shoulders jump around... the _anim4.gif shoulders jump the least..
Beelzebub
Peon
Peon

Post by Beelzebub »

I agree with Fother in the fur detail, it looks pretty good as is without the multitude of pixel variations. As for the animation (I am no professional) but it looks a bit spastic. However the shading and basic idea for the animation looks like you are on the right path. For the attack animation I think a swiping of the claw, with a nice sweeping arch would be most natural. (dunno how to describe the visual except like he is swinging fast and disrupting the air)
Ereh Nwod Nuf Rof Sdik Tae Lla Ew
John P
Warrior
Warrior

Post by John P »

I completely agree spastic! That is why I love it and that is how I picture this creature.

I am sorry, but I will talk a little content for a bit, but it is necessary for graphics imagination ;)

1) Is it possible for a creature to have an 'aggressive/chasing' walk AND a separate passive/calm walk?
2) Is it possible for a creature to have variable passive/aggressive? Can some yetis spawn passive and others spawn agressive?

If so...

I imagine this guy with a calm slow saunter, very little arm or head movement, when he is passive. Then, he spots a player and boom! He is in spastic chase mode coming at you like the yeti from ski-free or whatever that game was called.

If not...

He either needs to be aggressive only (to justify being spastic) or needs a calmer walk :)

PS - is this new yeti original work bcs?
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

We don't support a separate aggressive mode yet. As for spawning some passive, and some aggressive, sure. Just two separate monsters with different sprites.
bcs86
Warrior
Warrior

Post by bcs86 »

John P wrote:is this new yeti original work bcs?
It's hkurn's yeti with a different pose. Nothing was referenced to make the pose.

Here is an attacking pose. It is crappy. Nothing referenced. It is minimally shaded, needs texture and polishing. Just hoping to help. The human player set is more important to me ATM. I need to get over my fear of shading.
yeti.png
You can check the yeti in Wesnoth that I might have been thinking of enviously, but there is almost nothing in common except fist-pounding method of attack which doesn't look anything alike.