[WIP] Witch Doctor Mask/Hat

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Black Don
Knight
Knight

[WIP] Witch Doctor Mask/Hat

Post by Black Don »

something else I have been waisting time on.
witch_doctor_hat-preview.png
witch_doctor_hat-preview.png (8.79 KiB) Viewed 4280 times
Now we can finally know the magic words.

OOH EEH OOH AAH AAH TING TANG WALLA WALLA BING BANG
"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing, but too much of an awesome thing is, um, really really dumb. And bad." Strong Bad
hkurn
Peon
Peon

Re: [WIP] Witch Doctor Mask/Hat

Post by hkurn »

the sideways positions have two mistakes I think:
1. the light is coming from southwest, so the left-facing mask should be brighter than the right one and should be brightest on the right-most corner
2. I would place the eye slots one pixel further towards the nose like this: (also changed the lighting):
witch_doctor_hat-preview-eyesandshading.png
witch_doctor_hat-preview-eyesandshading.png (1.8 KiB) Viewed 4268 times
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

hkurn wrote:the sideways positions have two mistakes I think:
1. the light is coming from southwest, so the left-facing mask should be brighter than the right one and should be brightest on the right-most corner
2. I would place the eye slots one pixel further towards the nose like this: (also changed the lighting):
witch_doctor_hat-preview-eyesandshading.png
Nothing is wrong with the light direction. Moving the eyes one pixel make almost no noticeable change at this resolution.
"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing, but too much of an awesome thing is, um, really really dumb. And bad." Strong Bad
Beelzebub
Peon
Peon

Post by Beelzebub »

Not trying to say either is better just some constructive criticism.

I do see a small difference in eye placement and I think the second one is slightly better. However I agree with Don regarding the lighting.

One thing I thought was the "Grass" (or whatever it is) may look a little better if it was raised slightly or even overlapping the wooden part a bit. Again I think it looks great as is, just attempting to give a bit of constructive criticism. By the way, I love the idea Don... wish I would have thought of it.
Ereh Nwod Nuf Rof Sdik Tae Lla Ew
Hykaro
Novice
Novice

Post by Hykaro »

nice works.
an African mask.

Hykaro
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

I will give in on the eye placement on the side view and adjusted the lighting a little but the lighting example was way off its show the light source coming from the opposite side of how everything else is lighted in game. As for showing the palm leaves/grass wig going over the mask every time I try to do it the mask just looks broken and the grass is coming through it. I like the Idea just having trouble making it look right.
Viscous Viscera
Peon
Peon

Post by Viscous Viscera »

You could probably try and make it cover the whole face, as in, the hair as well. African masks are meant to be long...
Good work anyway! +210! :O
❝There are two types of secrets: One that is not worth keeping,
...and Second that is too good to keep❞
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

Not sure what kind of African Mask you are talking about since Africa is a huge country with many different styles and cultures. Take Egypt and the Congo for example they both have masks that are stylized in a very different from each other.

egypt masks

Congo masks

Both places are in Africa and I could do this with each major region for the continent so if you have a specific idea of how you think the mask should look please feel free to give me an example.

P.S. the mask is a cross between several African styles and south pacific islands Tiki styles.
Jumpy
Knight
Knight

Post by Jumpy »

Don you're great :)

would effecvtevely be wonderful to have mask from all parts of the world

question is : would they be sold in shop or gain in quests or given when connectedd regarding the internet localisation or as a choice in the set up menu ?

Regards
DBMP - BMS - HFDI
Don't Bring Me Problems - Bring Me Solution
and Have Fun Doing It : P

lvl 99 89 56 51 47 42 7
Loisl
Novice
Novice

Post by Loisl »

Well done, the mask is great.
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

after tweeking has been done
Attachments
witch_doctor_hat-preview2.png
witch_doctor_hat-preview2.png (10.17 KiB) Viewed 3994 times
hkurn
Peon
Peon

Post by hkurn »

the lighting looks good to me now. (maybe add 1-2 pixels of the beard to the rear view as well?)
i like it.
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

some thing to go with this mask ...........grass skirt .......maybe..

i love the green in the mask..

thats my 2 pennys
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Yeah, hey, yay"---Nirvana
Ces
Novice
Novice

Post by Ces »

skipy wrote:some thing to go with this mask ...........grass skirt .......maybe..
Now, I must have been dreaming, but I was quite sure we had a grass tutu in-game a year or two ago!

I love both the mask and the accompanying hairstyle. :mrgreen: This must be my favourite of the current masks. Good work!
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

hkurn wrote:the lighting looks good to me now. (maybe add 1-2 pixels of the beard to the rear view as well?)
i like it.

Pixels that get to close to the shoulders will cause layer issues with a bunch of the chest armor sprites. This is especially true of any pixels that are to look as though they are coming from in front of the face. For that same reason I never showed the horns on the devil mask from the back view. After you start testing stuff and understand how EA handles the drawing of layers for the cloths you will see what I mean.