Monster Size?

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

yuminig
Peon
Peon

Monster Size?

Post by yuminig »

What's the maximum and minimum size limit for monsters in terms of pixel measurement?
The Scarlet Rhus
Novice
Novice

Re: Monster Size?

Post by The Scarlet Rhus »

Technically, I don't think there is one.

~there may be guidelines, though...
The Scarlet Rhus

P.s

I don't think this is quite the right board.
/quit tmw
yuminig
Peon
Peon

Post by yuminig »

Sorry. I'm not familiar with everything yet, I don't know where to post the question.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

There are no restrictions on sprite size. But, each sprite occupies a single tile.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

500x500 would be a truly collosal size. Are you sure that you have the freetime to pixel and animate a 250.000 pixel monster in reasonable quality? I think you might be underestimating the effort.

A 100x200 monster (20.000 pixels) would already look huge compared to a character sprite (32x64) and be larger than anything we already have.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
yuminig
Peon
Peon

Post by yuminig »

I'm just asking just out of curiosity. who knows maybe I'll be first one to make a collosal monster :lol:
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

Crush wrote:500x500 would be a truly collosal size. Are you sure that you have the freetime to pixel and animate a 250.000 pixel monster in reasonable quality? I think you might be underestimating the effort.

A 100x200 monster (20.000 pixels) would already look huge compared to a character sprite (32x64) and be larger than anything we already have.
Would a 500x500 pixel monster even fit on the screen?
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
Ceros
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Ceros »

SpamMaster wrote:Provided the window size was set at least 640 x 512, yes, which I assume most people's are.
Netbook players would be SCREWED, though. "Uhhh.. I can't even target him. Whut."
Jurgi
Novice
Novice

Post by Jurgi »

SpamMaster wrote:Provided the window size was set at least 640 x 512, yes, which I assume most people's are.
Notice, that player is always in the middle of the screen. How do you imagine monster, that occupies entire screen? And player: next to it? Walking on the monster? It will look ridiculus, that is the main problem. Such really big monster should be "massive" (so you can't walk through it). So, the maximum reasonable size is imho 1/4 of the smallest screen size. E.g. 250×250 px.
Still more than enough of work to pixel it. :)
★ Variety Jeer, my weblog ★ Jurgi recommends Opera 10 ★
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

As long as you're able to attack the sides of the monster, it can be larger than the gameworld for all I care.
This message used to be meaningful.
Fern
Novice
Novice

Post by Fern »

Maybe it would be interesting if it was some kind of big semi-transparent slime, you can walk inside of it but you receive damage while you do it (its inside is acid or something), and the only way to kill it is attack it's heart in the center (the tile that actually occupies).

it might be a nice monster for archers to kill, and being a slime perhaps it's not so hard to pixel. Or might use instead some kind of cloud with the particle engine or something. Shrinking or changing color as it gets hurt... could be an interesting boss.