turtle [FAIL]

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

turtle [FAIL]

Post by meway »

just what it says its a turtle needs some shadeing than im done, injoy.
Attachments
turtle2.gif
turtle2.gif (3.97 KiB) Viewed 2380 times
turtle.gif
turtle.gif (4.03 KiB) Viewed 2380 times
turtle-sprite.PNG
turtle-sprite.PNG (3.25 KiB) Viewed 2382 times
Last edited by meway on 04 Nov 2009, 18:24, edited 4 times in total.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Re: turtle [WIP]

Post by meway »

so i suck at shadeing
Attachments
turtle-sprite.PNG
turtle-sprite.PNG (3.59 KiB) Viewed 2372 times
Last edited by meway on 26 Oct 2009, 07:56, edited 1 time in total.
SpamMaster
Novice
Novice

Post by SpamMaster »

The second line of frames still has the shell pattern reversed.

Fail until further notice.
Have a spamful evening, sir.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: turtle [FND]

Post by Crush »

Oh dear. It seems like you still didn't understand the fundamentals of shading yet. Fortunately you have the perfect practice task for the polygonal approach to shading here.

Try this:
-Go back to the first image you posted
-Drop the different colors for the shell segments for now (you can readd them later through the hue slider)
-Picture the whole object in 3d in your head. Color each of the cells in a different brightness depending on its angle relative to the light source. Those facing the lightsource have to be brightest, those facing away from it the darkest.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

SpamMaster wrote:The second line of frames still has the shell pattern reversed.

Fail until further notice.
i do have to flip the side's view back around nice to notice that looking at it from a rotateing point of view and crush :./ i can never get the shadeing right :( alslo check out my butterfly ! :)
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

Crush wrote:Oh dear. It seems like you still didn't understand the fundamentals of shading yet. Fortunately you have the perfect practice task for the polygonal approach to shading here.
Crush i do understand I'm just lazy :P oh and thanks for the advise here's the turn out product.
Attachments
little more contrast
little more contrast
turtle3.PNG (8.87 KiB) Viewed 2117 times
shaded turtle
shaded turtle
turtle.PNG (4.22 KiB) Viewed 2288 times
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

I edited my last post so both turtles were next to each-other this way you can see the difference easier the new one is the one that has more contrast.
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

Even after I talked to you in IRC I still agree with Crushes assessment of this work.

Shading is not about making things look darker but to add shape and depth to a 2D picture by tricking the eye by showing the contrast of light and dark on an object. I really can't explain it better in words. I suggest looking at some more pixel art tutorials and focus on the shading sections. Try to understand what they write and not just look at the example pictures they show. Some example picture I have seen are of what NOT to do.
"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing, but too much of an awesome thing is, um, really really dumb. And bad." Strong Bad
Saphy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Saphy »

Shading aside, the turtle have the right perspective compare to the butterfly. The side view doesn't look right though, it seems as the legs are detaching themselves.

Nevertheless, shading should be trivial, but as a general rule, you shouldn't just make the shadow darker. Think of what you want the shadow to look like, and what environment the turtle will be in. Shading of turtle in forest is different from grassland and is different from underwater.