woodland tileset

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Probably the scientist here is right, anyway my purpose was to differentiate more the 2 kinds of grass. It doesn't matter to me how this could be done, it just have to be good. And who told you that tmw plants have clorophyl? :P They maybe have mana flowing in them :roll: :P :oops:
ktm
Novice
Novice

Post by ktm »

ElvenProgrammer wrote:And who told you that tmw plants have clorophyl? :P They maybe have mana flowing in them
i always though of mana as some kind of invisible life force (key word here being "invisible", not "green" :wink:), kinda like the whole "gaia" idea... so they'd still have chlorophyll, they'd just need mana *too* to stay alive. whatever.

and about the lighter stuff in sd2: i always thought of they meant it to be some kind of clover, small flowers (probably blossomless, since there's others -with- blossoms, too) etc? doesn't really look like grass to me, anyways.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

here are my rocks. doesn't they rock? :lol:
the left one may look as if you have already seen it somewhere. you have - it's from the desert tileset. but hey, it was really hard rolling it all the way from the desert to the forest ;)

the right one is made by me using the same colors and trying to adopt the style of the left one.
ktm
Novice
Novice

Post by ktm »

Crush wrote:you have - it's from the desert tileset. but hey, it was really hard rolling it all the way from the desert to the forest
heh. good one :)

i think we could also use some bigger ones, btw. why restrict everything to 1x1 tiles?
oh, and as an alternative to all those dirt roads: how about some raw stone roads
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

Heh. Know what mana actually is? Mana is what Nintendo used to censor all of their games that dealt with holy power or God when they shipped them out of Japan. Secret of Mana was originally Legend of the Holy Sword (2). Crosses became hearts, domestic abuse became stern talking to... Nintendo censorship was a very confusing deal.

The tall grass (prarie grass) around where i live is paler and lighter than the shorter grass. Not that i'm trying to contradict science. i think in essence the scientific argument was true... but is not applied correctly. That argument is covered in the grass tile where different blades have different shades. The tall grass and short grass are two different kinds... when grass matures it doesn't get that tall. It goes to seed (and gets paler and lighter for what that matters) instead of growing forever.
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

Japan!
Last edited by Ultim on 02 Sep 2005, 05:01, edited 1 time in total.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

ktm wrote:i think we could also use some bigger ones, btw. why restrict everything to 1x1 tiles?
1x1 tile objects make the job of the mapper much easier. but when you want a really big rock i'll see what i can do.
oh, and as an alternative to all those dirt roads: how about some raw stone roads
not difficult to make and could look good. why not?
by the way: i didn't notice your link before i quoted your text. you should make your links [more obviouse].
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Nice rock, the one on the right.

I agree with the idea of stone roads, let's see what Crush can make :P
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

what do you think about that?
ktm
Novice
Novice

Post by ktm »

i think there should be little to no grass showing between the stones (but a few bushels here and there are okay), since people step on it. right now, it looks like everyone plays dont-step-on-a-crack 110% of the time. or, if you wanna make the road look unused, stick even more grass on, maybe add a few missing stones ("add" "missing" stones, weird sentence construction :roll:).
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Crush wrote:what do you think about that?
u adopt stone surface from desert by adding grass and coloring it to darker. Good try IMO. looks really gut. Myabe u should try main rock make a bit lighter.

if we back to trees case. u also can get dead trees from nomad tiles, a bit recolor them and add leafs. they should look good.

http://photobucket.com/albums/y67/iruka ... 0Tilesets/ <- source here

btw good to have u in team.
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

i think the grass looks too 8bit.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Crush: it is good indeed, but I was thinking more about having more distant rocks that make a path and of course more variation as ktm said the road could be covered by grass somewhere, or broken stones here and there.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Ultim wrote:Heh. Know what mana actually is? Mana is what Nintendo used to censor all of their games that dealt with holy power or God when they shipped them out of Japan. Secret of Mana was originally Legend of the Holy Sword (2). Crosses became hearts, domestic abuse became stern talking to... Nintendo censorship was a very confusing deal.
when you think the version of Nintendo USA is a bastardisation of the original, you should play the German version.

the German localizers had the goal of making the game as funny as possible. so they replaced every serious npc text which was not story critical (and some which were) by some lame jokes. all characters are portraied completely different in the dialogues. the most extreme case is the sprite which turned from a sad character into a funny character which takes nothing serious and - became a girl.
i wrote:u adopt stone surface from desert by adding grass and coloring it to darker.
no, i didn't. i made these roads myself.

looks as if nobody likes the grass coming out between the stones. i'll think about removing it.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

I like grass between rocks, but maybe it should show up only here and there, not everywhere, probably you used too much of it.