woodland tileset

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

woodland tileset

Post by Crush »

hello
i observed this project for quite a long time and now i thought that i could contribute something, too. so i started working on a woodland tileset. here is what i got so far. what do you think of it?
im quite proud of the lake shore and the big tree. but im not really statisfied with the grass tile and i will most likely replace it sooner or later. the paths aren't that good either. they lack "structure".

maybe there is a map designer out there who wants to experiment a little bit with formations of the small trees and tell me if i forgot some tiles?

the next things i want to add are:
-various rocks (maxbe with some engraved runes?)
-bridges
-roadsigns
any more ideas?
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

well... Broken link? :P i cant see the picture.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

imageshack is a little bit laggy at the moment. just give it some time.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

It is really a nice start. I have some suggestions though: feel free to use all the colors you need, I mean the leaves could use a better shading, using more green shades. I think the small trees could be a little taller, another tile at least, and I'll make the big one bigger as well, I mean the trunk could be 2 tiles in width, and more leaves on top of it.
The grass is nice even though I'd like to see more variations to it.
I could not understand what's the object in water...
The water is nice as well even though it requires more variations to build more complex shapes. The path could use some more texturing, it looks a bit flat at the moment.

Good try. I think with the proper corrections this tileset could become great. :D
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

thanks for your support and suggestions
ElvenProgrammer wrote:I think the small trees could be a little taller, another tile at least,
the problem is the taller the trees the more difficult it becomes to create enough tiles to build any desired formation of trees with them.
and I'll make the big one bigger as well, I mean the trunk could be 2 tiles in width, and more leaves on top of it.
i am worried that even larger trees would be a big problem for map design.
1)because there is just one over layer the large trees can't overlap each other (unless i create a huge amount of tiles for every possible overlapping scenario like i did for the small trees). that would limit the creative freedom of the map designer.
2)just think about how many tiles would be hidden behind an even bigger tree and how many players and monsters could be hidden in that area. a map with lots of large trees would be unplayable.

of course i could create another tree which is even bigger as a gimmick, but i would recommend to use it sparingly.
I could not understand what's the object in water...
The water is nice as well even though it requires more variations to build more complex shapes.
the "object in water" tiles over the lake are the variations you need for building more complex shapes ;)
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

You would be wise to take heed, EP had some good points. If you don't want to make the small trees bigger, make them look more like large bushes. When EP was talking about the water having more complex shapes, he meant this: The shore you have is a string of outlining tiles. When you have outlining tiles like that, which run around anything, you need at least twelve different kinds of outlining tiles: Outside corner northwest, north side, outside corner northeast, east side, outside corner southeast, south side, outside corner southwest, west side, inside corner northwest, inside corner northeast, inside corner southeast, inside corner southwest. You have eight of these. If you still don't understand, draw an uppercase H with your water tile, then try to outline it with your shore tiles.

i really like your original style, though. Not many people do the airbrushing method for game graphics (though i don't see why; it's often easier and looks better). Have you already checked your graphics against snapshots from in-game to see how your stuff looks next to everything else? i would try that before changing your large tree.
Detail your dirt.
Nice water.
Don't use the airbrush technique on grass tiles. Or any other tile similar to it (sand, dirt, whatever). For grass try defining each blade of grass. It's difficult but i think you can pull it off.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

i didn't use airbrush. the grass and dirt were made by an even simpler method. i made a single colored square and added noise - finished. you are absolutely right. thats a really cheap hack. im currently working on a better grass tile.

everything else was pixeled by hand. airbrush is simply too inaccurate for proper shading effects.

the water surface is a copy&paste from the pond in the desert tileset. i just used the "make tileable" command from gimp and removed the scratches on the ground by hand. only the shore is really made by me.

about that additional shore tiles you requested - i tried building an H as you told me and i had no problem doing so. i still dont know what you are talking about. did i misunderstood you somehow? here is a picture:

about the dirt: i already tried a few things to make it look more structured but it didn't came out very well. any ideas what i could try?
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

About the big tree, here is a screenie of what I mean:

You see, this one is bigger? :wink:

About the small trees again a screenshot:

This is what could be achieved using 3 layers and 3 tiles for a tree. I know there's a lot of monothony, that's why we will need a less repetitive scheme and 2 or 3 variations of the tree...

Well about the water, you see you can make no more than horizontal/vertical shapes, having something diagonal could really improve the design. Also rocks in the water, leaves floating around, and so on...

About the dirt you could use a lighter brown to delineate some small rocks here and there.

I will be looking forward the next update :arrow:
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

ElvenProgrammer wrote:Image
:? and you want to use all three layer for a tree without any any pre-overlapped tiles? looks as if it could work. i'll try it.
Well about the water, you see you can make no more than horizontal/vertical shapes, having something diagonal could really improve the design.
that sounds easy, but will be more difficult then it seems. but i'll see what i can do.
I will be looking forward the next update :arrow:
while you wait: here a screenshot featuring my new grass tile and my bridges (which also work well as a pier, by the way). what do you think of it?
i know. with the higher grass the water looks a little bit displaced. but i already know how to fix that. i have to integrate the grass into the lake shore anyway to allow the map designer to put the brides over the lake. but before i do so i need to know what you think about the new grass.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

The bridge is really nice, I'm not completely sure about the grass, the texture is nice, maybe one shade of green is a bit too bright.
ktm
Novice
Novice

Post by ktm »

for some added variety, how about making copies of the bridge, one with handrails, one a bit damaged/rotten? looks nice btw - the bridge and water. the grass is okay, the trees suck (sorry).
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

I think the bridge should be made of planks in stead of poles and the planks should be wider then the current poles.
At least, that's what I think.

Also about the edge of the water: I think it's a bit of an abrupt end, it doesn't look like an edge.

And ofcourse I agree with ElvenProgrammer. :P
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

here is a pic of my new 2x3 tile trees Elven Programmer ordered:
this time i used more different colors and a less random shading style. but the trees still seem a little bit "shapeless". i'm already experimenting with some techniques to change that but i'm open to suggestions.
Modanung wrote:I think the bridge should be made of planks in stead of poles and the planks should be wider then the current poles.
At least, that's what I think.
i had an early version of the bridge with planks based on the bridge from the mountain tileset, but i came to the conclusion that unworked logs fit much better into the forest theme.
Also about the edge of the water: I think it's a bit of an abrupt end, it doesn't look like an edge.
you are absolutely right. i alredy planned to leave some more pixels at the left and right side of the water to gain more room for the corners.
ktm wrote:the trees suck (sorry).
sorry but saying that something sucks but not why it sucks or how it could be improved doesn't help much.
Last edited by Crush on 28 Aug 2005, 23:36, edited 1 time in total.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Crush wrote: Image
A bit better IMO. maybe u should try make some tree variations, amd try with not-so-ideal shape. real trees dont looked that way. Assuming nice try. keep doing good job.

btw bridge. i dont like it. IMO its too simple.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

this tree has been made by a completely different technique. what do you think of that style?
i know that it still needs some improvements here and there. i just want to know what you think about this approach in general. do you like it better then the other style?

oh yes and for your information my todo list:
-perfect 2x3 tree
-2nd version of the perfect 2x3 tree
-resizing the lake
-diagonal water tiles
-putting the grass tile under the 2x3 trees and the lake tiles
-variations of the grass tile
-slightly wrecked and completely destroyed bridge tiles
-better looking paths
-rocks and other gimmicks
-a really big tree
(oh my god is that long... but im sure its worth it)