woodland tileset

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Crush wrote: Image
I think that it starts looks right way.

btw way. first u need forest-sand tile - and then make paths using that tile. if u neew help in something just ask. or maybe u rather prefer make whole tileset on your own?
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

i already made a sand tile... don't know if anyone integrated it with the official tilesets though. What we do need, though, if we don't already have it, is a forest border tile. Something that is half transparent, half forest (so you can put sand, rock, ice, even water under the tile to show through the transparency and make it look like an edge).
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Ok, here comes the boss, don't run away! :P

1st version of the tree: my suggestions are, make the trunk just a bit higher (not completely covered by leaves), and the lower parte of the tree could be thinner. About coloration looks very nice, but again a bit too bright, maybe you could try decreasing saturation?

2nd version of the tree: ok this is the right way, a shape that doesn't look the default one. Again I'd make the lower part a bit thinner and the trunk higher. And somewhat it looks a bit repetitive especially the 3 lower shades, I guess with some little retouch they could be greatly improved.

Ultim: well I'd like to integrate a whole tileset more than a single tile. If you're willing to help, maybe you can give a try improving the current tilesets. Most of the tiles are still low resolution rescaled ones.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

And once again, black outlines aren't all that nice.

From the consistencial point of view, how are these going to fit in? Perhaps a composite image of the both would be nice (we still need the areas between desert and forrest, it just doesn't magically shift from one to another).

Despite all this, my true message is here, keep up the good work. :)
This message used to be meaningful.
ktm
Novice
Novice

Post by ktm »

Rotonen wrote:From the consistencial point of view, how are these going to fit in? Perhaps a composite image of the both would be nice (we still need the areas between desert and forrest, it just doesn't magically shift from one to another).
on a transition from barren land to forest, you usually you first get small bushes, then bigger ones, then small trees. maybe with a few dead trees inbetween. as for the transition from sandy desert to forest, i'd also put a lot of dead bushes in. also, once you get some trees, they tend to stand in goups, which then get bigger until we get one solid forest area.
it's gonna be hard to show that on our -kinda small- maps though, unless we do it over like 3-5 maps... most rpgs cheat there by making you travel between such areas only by cannon/boat/plane, or by switching to some type of overworld, thus not having a smooth transition. zelda 3 did it by switching from forest->grass desert->sand desert, which was kinda abrupt. i might fire up some part of the ultima series some time to see how they did it (they had one huge continuing worldmap)
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

here the improved version of the 2nd tree. isn't it beautiful?

about the consistent style with the other tilesets: i'm not really sure at what tiles i should orientate my work. first there is not much vegetation yet, 2nd almost everything else is desert themed and so doesn't fit green trees per definition and 3rd the look of the other tiles isn't that consistent either. the player tileset would have been my first choice, but i've read that you are going to replace it soon.

about the intermission between forest and other sceneries: i think we should keep that for later when the forest tileset is almost finished.
ktm
Novice
Novice

Post by ktm »

Crush wrote:here the improved version of the 2nd tree. isn't it beautiful?
indeed :D just two things: maybe the top left border could be lightened up a -little- more. and the green of the trees and the green of the grass could be made to match a little better (maybe swap them? in general, i think leaves tend to be slightly darker than grass, not vice versa)
Crush wrote:about the consistent style with the other tilesets: i'm not really sure at what tiles i should orientate my work. first there is not much vegetation yet, 2nd almost everything else is desert themed and so doesn't fit green trees per definition and 3rd the look of the other tiles isn't that consistent either. the player tileset would have been my first choice, but i've read that you are going to replace it soon.
there's already some pics of the new player sprite scattered around the forums, if you want to have a look... but in general i'd say, make the trees a little more slender, then it'd fit to the new model fine. apart from that, since there is virtually no forest stuff yet, you pretty much have a carte blance there.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Crush wrote:here the improved version of the 2nd tree. isn't it beautiful?
To be harshly honest... no. I think it's way too bright; it hurts my eyes. Could you please at least turn down the saturation of the tree a bit? And the brightness as well probably.

Apart from that I think the shading looks like it's been done with the MS Spraycan(tm)... it's so noisy. I'd say try drawing leaves instead of dots.

Also the shape of the tree is very... smooth... for a tree. it could use some bumps or something.

I have to say, you did a really good job on the grass. It could use some grid killing, but apart from that I LOVE it... I'd almost dig an in-game hole in it and... nevermind.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

here is the tree and a variation of it with reduced brightnes and saturation and some other filters applied to reduce the noise a little bit.
about the general style: sorry modanung, i won't change it. i already tried making a tree with single leaves for hours and failed miserably. looks as if i still lack the skills. when you think you could make a tree type with bigger leaves then why don't you make one? the more variations in the tileset the better.

about the shape: yes, it is unrealistic simple, but i did so intentionally to reassemble the style of SNES rpgs. just take a look at the SoM screenshots on the first page. the trees got a quite idealized shape, too.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

i reworked the water tiles. the corners are rounder now.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Ok the tree is looking good. I'd just make the trunk a bit lighter maybe (not sure though).
About water, that thingy in the water still doesn't make sense to me. Wouldn't be better to have a simple rock?
And I'd like to see water border tiles as full tiles, I mean with no transparence, but with grass.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

ElvenProgrammer wrote:About water, that thingy in the water still doesn't make sense to me.
it will make sense to you when you try building a map with the tiles. these four tiles are very important for building some shapes.
And I'd like to see water border tiles as full tiles, I mean with no transparence, but with grass.
relax, its on the todo list ;)

while you wait, here are the diagonal water tiles you wanted me to make:
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

Well i love this grass ;)
But something is still strange..if you fix this they will be perfect :)
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Crush wrote:
ElvenProgrammer wrote:About water, that thingy in the water still doesn't make sense to me.
it will make sense to you when you try building a map with the tiles. these four tiles are very important for building some shapes.
I was referring to the white thing on a rock in the water. I can't understand what is it...

And don't worry, I can wait for the water/grass tiles but you see how they're needed: the lower border of the lake doesn't have a nice transition to water.

As Rotonen says: keep up the good work :P
I'm eager to see this tilest completed so we can build a forest town :wink:
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

how about now?