woodland tileset

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

i wrote:Crush: water looks odd, but clifs are gr8 ^^ - good job.
I agree, water could be improved adding submerse objects, like broken bottles, stones, coins, dead corpses :lol: 8) ...
ktm
Novice
Novice

Post by ktm »

...and/or by varying water depths (poor man's way: just make some areas darker, done). some reed, water lilies or other water plants would be nice too.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

About water, I'd make it more transparent, so you can see what's below better, the way it is now it seems to be only a totally gray plane.

The cliffs improved a lot, they really start to show a natural movement. Go on this way! :wink:
degen
Novice
Novice

Post by degen »

Crush: thanks for comment, and yes i started working on the castle wall tiles :)
btw i came to think of how about adding a section to the water with a little shore?
since most water goes in a upside down " ( " and not a " [ " stil there are some 90 degree\s angles but not around it fully. (i can try make a few examples of that as well)
Last edited by degen on 19 Sep 2005, 16:54, edited 1 time in total.
Let em tell da' king
Da the east belongs to Morglum
Da east belongs to da orcs
Da east is green
Crush (2)
Peon
Peon

Post by Crush (2) »

some assorted new stuff.

the big 2x2 rock some people wanted, two new water gimicks, two signs and a cave entrance.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

The cave entrance is really well shaded in my opinion, though I would have made it a little bigger.

Good work with the underwater, it really seems more real now, still I suggest to make the water a bit more transparent.

The small sign it's nice as well but it took me a while to notice the death sign which is really perfect. I'd make the wood a bit lighter to increase the contrast. Probably the other sign as well, and I'd like it lower.

The big rock really show you're a master of dithering, I'm not completely sure about the so light veins, maybe having them a bit darker could improve it.

Anyway I see we're not so far from the complete status for this tileset :D
degen
Novice
Novice

Post by degen »

crush btw how do you build your tiles for grass?
do you make them issometric or just top down view?

<-- kinda curius :)

ooh and great work on the cliffs and water.
think i have said that before :)
Let em tell da' king
Da east is green
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

degen wrote:crush btw how do you build your tiles for grass?
do you make them issometric or just top down view?
i started with a plain dark green tile and added noise. so i got a square with random green shades as a base.

on this base i drew single grass blades with different green tones. i used darker shades for pixels away from the light source (right and down) and brighter shades which were directed toward the light source (left and up).

was a hell of work but i'm statisfied with the end product
ooh and great work on the cliffs and water.
think i have said that before :)
Thanks.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

ElvenProgrammer wrote:The cave entrance is really well shaded in my opinion
i do not deserve any compliments about the shading. i were a very bad pixel artist. i've used the forbidden tool (gradient fill).
degen
Novice
Novice

Post by degen »

hehe gradient is evil :D or so many people say well if it works it works am i not wrong? and if you use gradient there is nothing that says you can afterwards compliment it with chess shading :wink:

Well either way i ahev outdid myself again (i tend to say that alot lately)

VOILA !!! yes its a SoM tree (32x32) a min size i guess but no less hmm ooh its less alriught ok its a bush .... but it comes from after taking as much notice to details from SoM trees but i really failed in adding a darker shading to the bottom ...!!! (have been building grand plans for a giant tree, in tiles ofc .... probably take a year -_- )

Feel free to use it and try to improve it :)
somone is bound to succed!
Let em tell da' king
Da east is green
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Avoid simmetry please, but very nice indeed, yes it's gshowing the som feelings
degen
Novice
Novice

Post by degen »

ok this is a admited failure i only wanted to try that purple shading you can see that they used in SoM :P it didnt go that well or i am jsut impatient either well i am off to bed so here you go ( who knows i might inspire someone)

(might be a bit hard to see but shading was in: green->turquise->light blue -> purple )

well ooh well ...
Let em tell da' king
Da east is green
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

how beautiful, a rainbow tree ;)

try to use as few colors as possible. and for the start you shouldn't try that "shadow with alien colors" technique yet. just use a very dark green.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Anyway it really have a nice style, I wouldn't throw it away so quickly, for sure it needs a bit of improvement, but I like it.
degen
Novice
Novice

Post by degen »

wow thanks alot for the positive critism ^^

got a 3 hours webdesign course later this evening guess i will be pixeling all that time :D (our teacher is showing pshop in a very very _very_ basic way :) )

mm well when i get spare time or need a set of change from tiling the wall section for castle/desert walls i will be sure to improve that as well as crush pointed out perhaps starting with a darker green shading ^^

Elven i have also been thinking alot on how to keep the SoM style on bushes yet making it less symmetric i think i have come up with a way to get that.
And also i have been thinking alot on how to make a tile for such leaves (that could be put together in different ways to make a variety of tree's) which i think could be very nice ^^
Let em tell da' king
Da east is green