[WIP] Snowland tiles

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

arikel
Novice
Novice

[WIP] Snowland tiles

Post by arikel »

I've been working on snowland tiles.
arisnowtest.png
arisnowtest.png (130.96 KiB) Viewed 3795 times
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: [WIP] Snowland tiles

Post by Crush »

The cliff tiles are not that great yet. They are suffering from unnaturally straight lines and too perfect circular curves. I know, the medium forces you to work in straight angles, but a good pixel artist does his best to hide this. I would also suggest to use a color palette with cold colors instead of a warm ones. You also need some shading - The diagonals facing the light source should be considerably brighter than those facing away from the light source. They also don't tile very well.

But at least they are better than the current ones.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
arikel
Novice
Novice

Post by arikel »

The idea was to replace some tiles in the tileset currently used for maps such as 019-1.tmx, so that it doesn't require any remapping of these areas. That's why i sticked to these lines and curves, and that's why i had this posted in the Off Topic section.
I'm aware of the lack of shading, i'm working on it. I'm not sure i understand what you mean about the tiles not tiling very well, though.
I tried colder colors, but i wasn't convinced it looked better :
snowtiles.png
snowtiles.png (45.81 KiB) Viewed 3738 times
Thanks for your comments.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I'm not sure i understand what you mean about the tiles not tiling very well, though.
This:
snow-mountain-tile.png
snow-mountain-tile.png (5.36 KiB) Viewed 3724 times
Do you notice the very obvious horizontal and vertical line at the border of the tile?

Another element for the todo list: The transmission at the lower border. I would expect some snow banks to form at the foot of the mountain.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
arikel
Novice
Novice

Post by arikel »

I see, i'm trying to fix that (not easy).
arikel
Novice
Novice

Post by arikel »

I'm still working on it...
arisnowtest3.png
arisnowtest3.png (136.69 KiB) Viewed 3619 times
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Can you please put the snow on the top of each stone back in? It really added a lot to the tileset.

All other changes I spotted (shading, snow at the bottom) are definitely an improvement.
  • NOT a game master

arikel
Novice
Novice

Post by arikel »

Crush wrote:Can you please put the snow on the top of each stone back in? It really added a lot to the tileset.
Sure. I had to get rid of it for a moment to rework the tilability, but here it is. I also had to work again on the shading of the light side, since the snow ruined it, but i don't think i did a good job on that so far.
arisnowtest4.png
arisnowtest4.png (144.9 KiB) Viewed 3561 times
posa
Novice
Novice

Post by posa »

i don't understand of graphics developing.. but before ppl getting started developing these 3D's areas, is the mana world capable of support the whole map in 3D?
Posa
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

posa wrote:i don't understand of graphics developing.. but before ppl getting started developing these 3D's areas, is the mana world capable of support the whole map in 3D?
Posa
I don't understand what you're worried about.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

posa wrote:i don't understand of graphics developing.. but before ppl getting started developing these 3D's areas, is the mana world capable of support the whole map in 3D?
Posa
Where are you getting 3D from all of these maps are 2D
Pixel Battalion
zick
Novice
Novice

Post by zick »

@Arikel
Looks much better than the old tileset ... I'd like to see maybe some variations in the wall tiles though, like some where there's no snow on the top of a couple stones, maybe some with slightly different colored stones. Just to add a little variation, you know break the monotony. But be careful not to burn up all the space in the tileset on lots of different variation. I have that problem with a tileset I was trying to make, it was sorts of variations.

What about making the big ice crystal an object instead of taking up space in the tileset? I don't know just some ideas
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

zick wrote:@Arikel
Looks much better than the old tileset ... I'd like to see maybe some variations in the wall tiles though, like some where there's no snow on the top of a couple stones, maybe some with slightly different colored stones. Just to add a little variation, you know break the monotony. But be careful not to burn up all the space in the tileset on lots of different variation. I have that problem with a tileset I was trying to make, it was sorts of variations.

What about making the big ice crystal an object instead of taking up space in the tileset? I don't know just some ideas
We can do more tilesets if needed. Or do layer tricks.
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

*bump* so what happened to that? :)
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi,
The cliff tiles are not that great yet. They are suffering from unnaturally straight lines and too perfect circular curves. I know, the medium forces you to work in straight angles, but a good pixel artist does his best to hide this. I would also suggest to use a color palette with cold colors instead of a warm ones. You also need some shading - The diagonals facing the light source should be considerably brighter than those facing away from the light source. They also don't tile very well.

:arrow: This stayed at this point. I personally preferred the stony tiles from the first post's image (brighter), but both blue and brown stones are worth to be kept and could bring variations.
(We don't have maps where an icy fog makes you get lost into a frozen forest, for instance. The blue stones could be used where the map are looking colder, and gloomy, maybe.)
:arrow: They're promising but we can too easily see the grid among those tiles.
Personally, I'd be for adding the new tiles next the ones here:
http://gitorious.org/tmwdata/mainline/b ... s/Snow.png

But if arikel could improve his work on the 'grid problem' (and I know it's hard), they could finally replace the existing cliffs, IMHO.

Regards.