My first concept art

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Drawings are ok... although I think they're a bit too cartoonish.
I think the plants are too human, with their faces and the first one with the arms and legs.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Hexodin
Peon
Peon

Post by Hexodin »

Hi guys, i try but... very small...

bye
The Python Power - http://www.python.org
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

the shape is very good. it's not too small. it is in fact too large. as far as i know the engine supports only monsters one tile in size (32x32 pixels) at the moment (correct me if i'm wrong).

what it needs now is a proper shading. some brighter pixels at the left and upper edges, some dark pixels at the lower right edges, and it's perfect.

by the way: you shouldn't use jpeg files for pixel art. the artifacts caused by jpeg compression make it look blurred. the perfect filetype for pixel art is PNG, because it compresses lossles (what JPEG doesn't), it allows to use true color (what GIF doesn't) and it is very small (what BMP isn't). it is also the image format used in the game.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Crush wrote:the shape is very good. it's not too small. it is in fact too large. as far as i know the engine supports only monsters one tile in size (32x32 pixels) at the moment (correct me if i'm wrong).
Ok you're wrong there, there is a fixed size of 60x60 for the monsters at the moment. Still the graphics artists should not take this as a real limitation, as we could improve the client to support variable sizes quite easily (on a per-monster basis at least). But I guess we'd do this mostly to safe memory for the smaller monsters, that waste a lot of texture memory with their 60x60 frames. Best example would be the maggot:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/t ... &view=auto
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Hexodin wrote:Image
I think it's a bit too dark. And yea, it needs shading and clearer outlines.
And I hope you can do non-directly-from-concept redraws as well.

Doesn't look baad at all by the way.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Hexodin
Peon
Peon

Post by Hexodin »

So, i only pixelate the draw to show... i'm not good with pixel art. I think other peoples can do this work better than me :)
The Python Power - http://www.python.org
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

I think the pixellation is better than the concept. I'd like to see this animated. Not with conventional movement, but with a strange jerkyish wobbling crawling motion.. :roll:

Not a priority though.
This message used to be meaningful.
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

The concepts are great! Wonderful style i haven't seen before or since Mario! Of course they look like people. Of course they aren't proportioned right. This is an imaginary world from top to bottom. Cap crude drawing errors, cap hackneyed sprites and tiles, but for the sake of the game don't cap imagination! Good job, Hexodin, keep on putting stuff out!
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Ultim wrote:The concepts are great! Wonderful style i haven't seen before or since Mario! Of course they look like people. Of course they aren't proportioned right. This is an imaginary world from top to bottom. Cap crude drawing errors, cap hackneyed sprites and tiles, but for the sake of the game don't cap imagination! Good job, Hexodin, keep on putting stuff out!
I sure hope you wouldn't accept me drawing a beachball with teeth as a monster. :?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Modanung wrote:
Ultim wrote:The concepts are great! Wonderful style i haven't seen before or since Mario! Of course they look like people. Of course they aren't proportioned right. This is an imaginary world from top to bottom. Cap crude drawing errors, cap hackneyed sprites and tiles, but for the sake of the game don't cap imagination! Good job, Hexodin, keep on putting stuff out!
I sure hope you wouldn't accept me drawing a beachball with teeth as a monster. :?
Hey, that sounds cool.
Bear
Warrior
Warrior

re

Post by Bear »

Beachball with teeth >.>

Perfect magically enchanted beachball from a dark forest >.>

IMO, thatd make a great monster, in Ragnarok, LineageII, almost every other game i know , there are many many types of monsters, ranging from Books to pencils :o

I think a beachball would be great.

Also, to make the potted plant a little more reasonable, how about the POT is evil, and changes anything planted in it evil O>O

Like this, we can have a much greater variety of those plant monsters and still make sense out of it
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

a cursed pot to grow evil plants - that idea rocks Image
degen
Novice
Novice

Cursed pot hell yeah :)

Post by degen »

The idea of a cursed pot rocks ! then there could be a majority of different types of veggie monsters!
Just think of the possybilities that can grow out of that...
a new map, the mad scientist/mage that has bound spirits into veggies
rooted to the spot inside the evil castle. And monster that moves around could be the "Gardeners" that take cares and brings water to the magic veggies!

I like it :D

ooh and hehe i probably should post my "ideas" of monsters here as well
(here is the URL as well)
http://degen.no-ip.com/tmw_images/
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Those are the ones i have done so far :)
on paper i am working on a stone elemtal but i am stuck on 2 types
and each time i try to finish the other one i tend to think on the other which in a way is very very irritating but not that bad either they have started to become more detailed in both my mind as well on paper.

Here is the idea of the Stone "men".
first we have Rockun its a stone not big at all like the baby brother to the stone elemental. its to look like a boulder with a boulder...ish like torso with a "stone" head ontop rolling around. And the arms are to be (2 ideas) either floating next to the body as if magic bound it there (the elemtal part) the same goes for the feet. (damn i wish my scanner worked) well i hope you get the "smaller" version of teh Stone "men" then the Papa is to be a (double human size) more original Stone elemental version with a more umm guess you can use humanoid body. Limbs attached and that but all of stone.

And thus the easier earlier to meet Rockun (yes its from Rock-kun =P ) which is easier smaller and among the first Stone "men" you should meet ingame and Papa is the later harder one :)

well come up with ideas i have been sketching on them hopefully i will soon have a shape that i can use while making a sprite.

//Robin
Let em tell da' king
Da the east belongs to Morglum
Da east belongs to da orcs
Da east is green
Golgo
Novice
Novice

Re: Cursed pot hell yeah :)

Post by Golgo »

degen wrote:The idea of a cursed pot rocks ! then there could be a majority of different types of veggie monsters!
Just think of the possybilities that can grow out of that...
a new map, the mad scientist/mage that has bound spirits into veggies
rooted to the spot inside the evil castle. And monster that moves around could be the "Gardeners" that take cares and brings water to the magic veggies!

I like it :D

ooh and hehe i probably should post my "ideas" of monsters here as well
(here is the URL as well)
http://degen.no-ip.com/tmw_images/
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Those are the ones i have done so far :)
on paper i am working on a stone elemtal but i am stuck on 2 types
and each time i try to finish the other one i tend to think on the other which in a way is very very irritating but not that bad either they have started to become more detailed in both my mind as well on paper.

Here is the idea of the Stone "men".
first we have Rockun its a stone not big at all like the baby brother to the stone elemental. its to look like a boulder with a boulder...ish like torso with a "stone" head ontop rolling around. And the arms are to be (2 ideas) either floating next to the body as if magic bound it there (the elemtal part) the same goes for the feet. (damn i wish my scanner worked) well i hope you get the "smaller" version of teh Stone "men" then the Papa is to be a (double human size) more original Stone elemental version with a more umm guess you can use humanoid body. Limbs attached and that but all of stone.

And thus the easier earlier to meet Rockun (yes its from Rock-kun =P ) which is easier smaller and among the first Stone "men" you should meet ingame and Papa is the later harder one :)

well come up with ideas i have been sketching on them hopefully i will soon have a shape that i can use while making a sprite.

//Robin
I like the white ghost and that blob thing :D , the tree and the others are shaded wrong, but keep working on them there coming out great.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

More detail, better shading.
This message used to be meaningful.