More sounds for game?

All aspects of music, audio and sound effects development for all The Mana World projects.

Davius
Peon
Peon

More sounds for game?

Post by Davius »

I am a sound designer, and I have an account at freesound.org, and one of the first things I noticed about this game was that it could use more sounds. I would be happy to design or find appropriate sounds for more of the game. Things like cave drip ambiances for some maps, desert wind for other maps, ocean sound for the beach, stuff like that. and better sounds for actions like lightning (for sure), other magic spells, and sword and knife sounds.
Peon
Peon

Re: More sounds for game?

Post by 1234 »

1 thing i cant stand about this game is its music. its why i mute it 24/7 :lol:
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

I'm not sure about ambient sounds, but attack and getting hit sounds for every actor in the game are more than welcome. Effect sounds are also welcome.

Have fun while you're at it.
This message used to be meaningful.
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Davius wrote:I am a sound designer, and I have an account at freesound.org, and one of the first things I noticed about this game was that it could use more sounds. I would be happy to design or find appropriate sounds for more of the game. Things like cave drip ambiances for some maps, desert wind for other maps, ocean sound for the beach, stuff like that. and better sounds for actions like lightning (for sure), other magic spells, and sword and knife sounds.
SFX are badly needed. I have some xp with sound stuff. I do like the idea of ambient noises for zones. I'd help anyway I can to get that done.
You see in me in game all the time so you know where to find me to bug me about stuff. :)
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
Davius
Peon
Peon

Post by Davius »

@Rotonen Could you give me a list of sound effects that are needed and tell me where to send them when I am done?
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Here's a start: http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/SFX. I needs some updating.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Currently there is no good way to include ambient effects on maps, but having some testing material around will give us an incentive to work into that direction.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

Davius wrote:@Rotonen Could you give me a list of sound effects that are needed and tell me where to send them when I am done?
If you have some experience playing the game, you'll notice a lot of sound is needed for most of the monsters and the magic. I recommend getting an eathena server and tmwdata from git and seeing where it will take you. If you want some direction on sound, start with making sound for the snake attack, the mouboo attack, the jacko attack and the attack magic. Pick something off that list to start with and see where it leads you. Death sounds for the named could follow that.
Current character is "Abolish".
Davius
Peon
Peon

Post by Davius »

I know that more monsters and especially magic needs sound. I'll try to design unique sounds for individual spells and more for the monsters. Oh, can can your server handle clipping a sound to the particular length of an effect? Like for the #kaflosh spell...Some people can do it for longer or shorter. If I gave you long rain sound, could the program automatically adjust it to that particular length?

EDIT: Should I give you the zip with the archival AND game format or just the archival or just the game? Another thing...I might use some sound effects from freesound.org in what I create for the game...They are a creative commons site but they ask that the users give credit to the person who originally made the sound and their website. Would it be possible to get those credits into the game? You should create a new list for 'Sound Design' under development team in the F1 menu where you could list the people whose sound effects I use (and their emails if I can get them)

EDITEDIT: Just to be clear, what exactly are hit, miss, hurt, die, and misc. sounds... I wouldn't want to spend days on on sounds that turn out to be useless.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Davius wrote:EDIT: Should I give you the zip with the archival AND game format or just the archival or just the game? Another thing...I might use some sound effects from freesound.org in what I create for the game...They are a creative commons site but they ask that the users give credit to the person who originally made the sound and their website. Would it be possible to get those credits into the game? You should create a new list for 'Sound Design' under development team in the F1 menu where you could list the people whose sound effects I use (and their emails if I can get them)
We only use the GNU GPL.
Davius wrote:EDITEDIT: Just to be clear, what exactly are hit, miss, hurt, die, and misc. sounds... I wouldn't want to spend days on on sounds that turn out to be useless.
Hit: when the being succeeds when attacking
Miss: when the being fails when attacking
Hurt: when the being is successfully attacked (takes damage)
Die: being dies...

No other sounds are currently coded to be used in any client. Walking sounds would be nice for when they are used.
Davius
Peon
Peon

Post by Davius »

Creative Commons is a license that means the sounds can be used in any way as long as the creator is attributed. I can also contact all the original creators to get their personal permission to use the sounds in this game. As a sound designer, I know that it feels flattering when someone uses your sounds in a 'big thing'
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Davius wrote:Creative Commons is a license that means the sounds can be used in any way as long as the creator is attributed. I can also contact all the original creators to get their personal permission to use the sounds in this game. As a sound designer, I know that it feels flattering when someone uses your sounds in a 'big thing'
Not quite. Most CC variants are incompatible with the GPL (NC, ND, and SA directly conflict).
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

I really can't stand the lack of basic sfx anymore.

I'm gonna go make a scrap set that we can gpl. Something is better then nothing at this point.

So I'm off to make some chessy sound fx.
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
Davius
Peon
Peon

Post by Davius »

Well, don't make them horrible because they have to be at least ok to go into the game.
argul
Novice
Novice

Post by argul »

Well if it is the way of development here, that anything must be GPL,
so you might ask these guys from soundforge etc if they relicense their stuff....maybe?
---