Sound Update?

All aspects of music, audio and sound effects development for all The Mana World projects.

Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Sound Update?

Post by Wombat »

I'm needing a sound update from either Saturn or from anyone that is currently working on sound.

If you are interested in working on sound, but don't know how, please add a comment to this thread while we figure this out. There hasn't been any new sound added for a while and I want to find out what is needed by the sound people to get started.

I PM'ed Saturn a while ago requesting if he'd like to draft a list of sound priorities or if I should. I'll continue to wait for Saturn's reply, but if anyone would like to see particular sounds in the game, please add a comment here as we develop what needs to be done.
Current character is "Abolish".
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Re: Sound Update?

Post by Reid »

Got 2 question :
What is needed to doing sound development? And do it is easy to learn it?

Also, why we don't use gpl music from other games?
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
Big Crunch
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Big Crunch »

i know that the char headsmasher1 does sound work for taw, perhaps he would be interested
sexy red bearded GM
bcs86
Warrior
Warrior

Post by bcs86 »

For sound effects I enjoy generating chirps, wah-wahs, and editing of the white, brown, and pink nose in Audacity.

Finding clever ways to create sound effects is interesting.
The program alone, and with some experimenting, suffices to create sounds such as wind and thunder - just from playing with generated noise.

For detailed sounds though, I've been occasionally recording things such as: tearing paper, hitting rolled up paper, breaking a pencil, capturing the sound of a creaky rocking chair, hitting siverware together, tapping ceramics, pots and pans, and other things to be warped and remixed not as-is.

Considering the means though, it would take more than one all-nighter before ever creating a good set of sounds for a given monster or weapon.

Player sounds should come first. Hit, miss, crit!, and pre/post casting. They are played regardless of whether the monster has sounds. They differ from weapon to weapon. It would fill a big void.

It is hard to do though. I've never been serious about it before.
There might be someone with better means.

If not, I can be talked into trying.

For measure, I did the awful SFX for the zombie in the graveyard.

Our angry grandpa proposed collecting a pool of sounds to just hack with.
I'd feel a little weird about putting a bunch of unrendered sounds in a git repository.
Whatever works. Not quite sure what he meant meant.

For the moment though I've got my mind set on something else TMW-eA wouldn't be interested in.
Sorry for being vague.
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

Big Crunch wrote:i know that the char headsmasher1 does sound work for taw, perhaps he would be interested
If you feel comfortable enough, can nominate him as a content lead for sound? With your nomination and his acceptance, I'll appoint him ASAP if he wants to start adding sound to the game. As it stands, we have 0 activity in sound, so someone with experience in this area already is highly wanted.
Big Crunch
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Big Crunch »

Wombat wrote:
Big Crunch wrote:i know that the char headsmasher1 does sound work for taw, perhaps he would be interested
If you feel comfortable enough, can nominate him as a content lead for sound? With your nomination and his acceptance, I'll appoint him ASAP if he wants to start adding sound to the game. As it stands, we have 0 activity in sound, so someone with experience in this area already is highly wanted.
I'll contact him and get him to submit some work.
sexy red bearded GM
Head Smasher1
Peon
Peon

Post by Head Smasher1 »

Wombat, hi, sorry it took awhile to reply, yeah, I'd love to work on this for you...

At the moment though, my only way of sharing my work with you is with mediafire, but if you want a sample of my best works, I have the links for you

The first version of the alternate cave music, often recieved well
http://www.mediafire.com/?6naa6p48etlgaz4

My Christmas special/ Elf Village Music
http://www.mediafire.com/?3ft3irri300dfgn

A sample of a really developed song... a teaser really [NOTE!! password is kirbyisno.1]
http://www.mediafire.com/?xmadwjor47c60md

The first song I did for TAW The Crypt Music Final
http://www.mediafire.com/?j9t0auttz9hdoro

These are all of my greatest works.... I also made a monster sound if you want that too

ALL of these works have differents versions and tweeks I've added to them that you can view later I suppose

If you'd like to view all my work that I've posted here are the links, explore at your disgretion

http://www.mediafire.com/?uwxh9ott1s9h8
http://www.mediafire.com/?ti59tqt9qat5h
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

I can't manage to get the crypt music of the alternate world... However I would like to know how to transform the .wav files into .ogg to make them fit into tmw (I am on Mac OS X).
Head Smasher1
Peon
Peon

Post by Head Smasher1 »

I can convert them myself.... but the addon for the software might take a little while to get in the meantime though, everythings a .wav as a precation..... oh anything you put on id like my due credit where necessary (not sayying you wont but its important that you do so for me if you decide to add trhe music)

I also do music apun request if you want somethin special..... otherwise I make what I can in my freetime and not on the job

For those of you who want the FULL bitter password protected song I need you to email me at bestbud74@yahoo.com otherwise I wont send it
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

I will review them as soon as I have available sound. (posting so I can keep up on tabs on this discussion hehe)
Head Smasher1
Peon
Peon

Post by Head Smasher1 »

A friend of mine showed me some program called Audacity which can convert the files to .ogg, but due to restrictions from where I work I cannot download the program.... *sigh* but don't worry, I'll convert em all
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

The cave one is the only one I have reviewed so far. It is very nice. I think it could use a flute of some sort with a melody over your current cave file but not to harshly over top of this current work. you can almost here a melody like re me do do re me do do. Idk though It does fit as is.
argul
Novice
Novice

Post by argul »

The first version of the alternate cave music, often recieved well
http://www.mediafire.com/?6naa6p48etlgaz4
damn i like that piece of music :)
It would be cool to get more music in the mana world.
Keep up the good work!
---
saturn
Novice
Novice

Post by saturn »

Wow, nice tracks! Music has been going really well. I can tell you a few tracks we need for CR1, but I don't know what is particularly needed for eA. As for sound effects, tons are needed, but I'm no expert on sfx, so..
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

Can you create a sound request list saturn and/or headsmasher1? If not, I will provide one.

Meway has also created a thread in content development requesting a list of 100 sounds most wanted in TMW-eA.

If you aren't familiar with TMW-eA music, please get the latest server and client data, tour around the game and listen to what is there on a localhost server. The latest versions can enable you to spawn reapers to test their graphics and you could create corresponding sounds to it. This would be the highest priority of requested sounds considering this is the most complex monster to be released for the game, to date and would enhance its official release.