Classics in the background

All aspects of music, audio and sound effects development for all The Mana World projects.

Elvano
Peon
Peon

Classics in the background

Post by Elvano »

Hey lot

I just stumbled upon an intresting article here (I advice you to read this).

Thank you Nard for pointing out a mistake I made:
Nard wrote:Classical music doesn't fall under CC by SA when the Author died long ago, it belongs to public domain and should be marked: Image. However It can be arranged, and when the arrangement differs significantly from the original published work
I don't know if we do this already, but I sure think it's worth a try.
(again read this article if you haven't still or watch the youtube version)
Elvano~
Wisdom and knowledge are both treasures in life.
While knowledge allows us to do great deeds,
it is wisdom which helps us to use it responsible.
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Re: Classics in the background

Post by WildX »

The problem is finding music that actually fits a videogame, specifically Evol and the area of Evol where it is played. I don't see why anyone would be against this idea if the piece fits perfectly! Any suggestions?

TMW Team member

Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

I wanted to use some classics books references on the town's library, so applying this idea to music seems good to me.

We just need to keep in mind that we need to wait 75 years after the death of the author/holder of the license before to use the art. (At least, it works like this in france/europe)
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
Elvano
Peon
Peon

Post by Elvano »

WildX wrote:Any suggestions?
Not yet, but when I listen to some of Bach's music I'm sure we'll find something useful. (It has always room for adaption, right?)
Some of them even have an RPG kinda of feel to it.
Reid wrote:We just need to keep in mind that we need to wait 75 years after the death of the author/holder of the license before to use the art. (At least, it works like this in france/europe)
Really? I thought it was only 70 years ._.
Elvano~
Wisdom and knowledge are both treasures in life.
While knowledge allows us to do great deeds,
it is wisdom which helps us to use it responsible.
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

It would be pretty cool if we could find something that sounds good with the game and is also a piece of classical music. As for adapting it, I guess that would be fine, maybe giving it a bit of a videogame feel (unless that butchers it, which it probably would).

TMW Team member

Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Elvano wrote:Hey lot

I just stumbled upon an intresting article here (I advice you to read this) which reminded me of the fact that alot classical music falls under the CC licensing. This meaning we can use them in their current form or adapted as background music for all sorts of maps.

I don't know if we do this already, but I sure think it's worth a try....
Classical music doesn't fall under CC by SA when the Author died long ago, it belongs to public domain and should be marked: Image. However It can be arranged, and when the arrangement differs significantly from the original published work (such as the Maurice Ravel's orchestra arrangement of Moussorgski's "The Bogatyr Gates (in the Capital in Kiev)"), then it can be the object of a different copyright/copyleft; This is the way editors protect their printed works: So you have also tro take care about cadenzas or similar stuff. However, noticeable amount of PD classical works are available on the net, that could be the topic of a specific thread if you want (printed and executable forms).
Reid wrote:We just need to keep in mind that we need to wait 75 years after the death of the author/holder of the license before to use the art. (At least, it works like this in france/europe)
Really? I thought it was only 70 years ._.
Artistic work, whether it is music or any other kind of art, is ruled under an international convention: the Berne convention. The duration of the copyright, and its unprescriptible part, may differ depending on the countries where the copyright is applied, the nature of art... The minimum duration is usually 50 years post mortem auctoris (Art.7). Since 1993, this duration is 70 years post mortem auctoris in European Union.

Note: The art. 6bis of the convention is concerned with the moral rights of the Author, that cannot be abandoned.

See also:
Rome Convention for the Protection of Performers, Producers of Phonograms and Broadcasting Organisations (Related rights)
Droit d'auteur(French wikipedia article is much more complete than english one, some concepts , though mentioned, may differ from english derived laws).
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

I would guess that Public domain is already allowed. If it is not, it should be. There are no limitations on it. Perfect for any project, paid or not. No attribution required, but I still prefer to, when possible.
EDIT: Sampling Plus, I've mentioned in the past. It was a free license for sound before CC. It's only flaw was that it did not protect the author enough (like adhering to attribution), thus it is more free to use than most CC, but attribution we would adhere to anyway.

Ledmitz = Ardits = KillerBee = Mystic = Mystical_Servant = Tipsy Skeleton = BoomBoom = Cloak

Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/

I noticed the no by CC (CC BY). It only requires attribution. Could this type of license fit? What would be wrong with accepting things more free than SA?

Ledmitz = Ardits = KillerBee = Mystic = Mystical_Servant = Tipsy Skeleton = BoomBoom = Cloak