SFX licensing and authoring

All aspects of music, audio and sound effects development for all The Mana World projects.

Fern
Novice
Novice

SFX licensing and authoring

Post by Fern »

Hello.
I would like to use some sounds from TMW as a base for adapting, remixing and building some sound effects for the GNU FreeDink game: http://www.freedink.org/ (it's a modified version of the Dink Smallwood RPG game and engine)

I would like to know if it's safe to use some of the tmw sounds in a GPL content project. I know that the COPYING notice in the tmwdata repository is showing the GPLv2-or-later license, and The Mana World seems to be a clean project, but well, to the least it would be nice to know the author(s), so it can be properly credited.

The sounds that are going to be used are:
  • knife-miss1.ogg
    short-sword-miss1.ogg
    bow_shoot_1.ogg
    fist-swish.ogg
    maggot-dying.ogg
    slime-hit1.ogg
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: SFX licensing and authoring

Post by Crush »

TMW and everything which is part of it is free software licensed under the GNU GPL.

When your project is too, you can use these sound effects without remorse.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Fern
Novice
Novice

Post by Fern »

Crush wrote:TMW and everything which is part of it is free software licensed under the GNU GPL.

When your project is too, you can use these sound effects without remorse.
Thank you.
Is there some list somewhere showing the author of each sound or is it all just done in the forums?
We are trying to keep trace of authorship for each sound, just in case, because there seems there were problems with that in the past.
Fern
Novice
Novice

Post by Fern »

No answer on the authoring?
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

There is no such list AFAIK. You could maybe get a few authors if you search git/svn/mantis. There is a list of contributors on the wiki but thats it. If you really want to give credit, your best shot is to credit "The Mana World".
dariunas
Novice
Novice

Post by dariunas »

From the sounds of it, seems to have been licensing and ownership problems rather than crediting concerns which you've encountered before. However, if your software is GPL also, I would say don't be overly concerned with it. Once it's produced under GPL it's fine. If it turns out later that it is an asset which has some other kind of ownership rights, then you remove in the first instance and the reality is, no one would take the matter any further. As a non-profit game, it just wouldn't make much sense to...
Cosmostrator
Novice
Novice

Post by Cosmostrator »

Unless things have changed a great deal lately all of the sound effects are by me. As was said previously all contributions to the project are under the GPL so there should be no problem as long as your project is too. If you want to do a different license I'm sure something could be arranged for the sound effects that I did for the game.
-Cosmostrator