Love Potion/Magic (was: Game Concepts)

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Dimond
Warrior
Warrior

Love Potion/Magic (was: Game Concepts)

Post by Dimond »

I've thought of concepts that can possibly be expanded later. Perhaps these ideas can be considered to be implemented and such. Please do not "bash" or "troll" this thread, meaning giving comments causing time-wasting conflicts and are offensive. I would like immediate deletion of these comments right away, thank you.

This is my current concept:

Love Potion/Magic - Love potions could have the affect on you or another player to "fall in love" or do a series of movements/emotes. There could be a small quest where a person can gain a bit of experience or gold after the succession of creating a love potion. Maybe the person brewing the potion has to do a specific thing for another player of their own choice to be able to experience the affects once consumed. For example, if you wanted Superkillzer9998 to follow you around saying "I LOVE YOU" and performing smiley emotes you would have to extract his blood or whatever. I'm sure I got the basic idea through, but of course this creates potential abuse/problems. No matter how you think about it, a player is going to do something regardless of if he wants to or not. But hey, we have #joyplim don't we? :P

I'll love to hear feedback!

-Dimond
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Game Concepts

Post by Crush »

Dimond wrote:Please do not "bash" or "troll" this thread [...] I'll love to hear feedback!
So you only want feedback when it's positive?

Whatever, moved to feedback forum and gave it a proper subject line.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
dayve
Novice
Novice

Re: Love Potion/Magic (was: Game Concepts)

Post by dayve »

I can see it as great fun, if you are the one doing. I can see me logging out if i was forced to do anything I didnt want. Also casting it on same sex or different sex will start a lot of fights too.

So Change the action to be inline with joyplim. Something like tiny hearts popping out when you are on same screen, and a 5 minute time limit. Make the reward hard, like 10k if married within an hour and 50k if it lasts a month. ;^)
Dimond
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dimond »

That's sounds great! Perhaps the player could jump up and down excitedly and land with a giant pink heart in the background with the his and the brewer's initials. For example, if I had Fred drink a love potion his heart would have F. + D. in the background. This way it won't cause too many problems with others being "forced" to do things or whatever. Also, depending on how strong the brewer or the ingredients, it changes how long it lasts... Say that if you weren't that great and barely made the love potion, it only lasts about 20 seconds or less, but if you were excellent it can last for 1-3 minutes. I'll get back to you on the quest, I'm still thinking about it at the moment, thanks Dayve for the idea and comment.

-Dimond
dayve
Novice
Novice

Post by dayve »

if you want to do this the break into groups.?

first thing is collecting items as i understand it. So new items or already in use?

chocolate - flowers[mini quest to find the right one and how many?] - hearts are what come to mind.

then 2 or 3 comon items, acorns , roots and eggs?

second would be the brewing. will this be white or black magic? or either?

what stats are needed?

the brewing could be like the setzer and use most of those NPCs reducing the art workload.

that is the first two steps as i see them.
DarkWater
Warrior
Warrior

Post by DarkWater »

dayve wrote:
that is the first two steps as i see them.
I am about ready to smack you both!!!
I am relentless, unpredictable, waiting for your last breath- Princess of Darkness
Dimond
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dimond »

Okay, this is the current and now added features/ideas for the love potion so far:

- The player consuming a love potion will have the brewer's and player's initials in a heart background and possibly do an excited jump action.

- The potion's effects has a time limit that is decided on how well it's brewed.

- Certain ingredients or maybe a chant needs to be done if you want the person who you want to experience the effects be effective. The side effects of not doing so could be something effecting the brewer or the player.

- Brewing could be another part in the magic system, perhaps love potions are medium-hard to brew and you need a certain brewing level to do so correctly or the side-effects can be deadly.

Alright, the quest could be a series of mini-quests that play a role in learning how to make the love potion. This is a real quick idea for dialogue for the NPC and such:

NPC: "Hiya deary! Are you here for my marvelous heart chocolates for a special someone? Or maybe my own brew of this lovely mauve perfume?"

Player: "No, but do you happen to know how to brew a love potion?"

NPC: "A love potion?! Well, no deary, something like that... no... I don't think I can tell you." Her face shows worry.

Player: "Here, <NPC's Name> said he wanted me to deliver this to you." You hand her the box of chocolate.

NPC: She opens the box and gasp at the letter inside, she appears to be reading and and sudden joy appears on her face. She puts the letter in her pocket. "Please thanks <NPC's name> for this, and bring him this note." You've receive a note to <NPC's name>.

Okay, this is probably the first step to learning how to create a love potion. Delivering the box of chocolates and also the note to the NPC that doesn't have a name yet. After getting some exp/gold/items from this mini quest, then you can talk to the NPC about the love potion again after solving and learning the problem between NPC and NPC#2. Here is some other dialogue once you deliver the note to NPC #2.

Player: You give NPC #2 the note.

NPC #2: NPC #2 unfolds the paper and slowly reads, while coming to the end, he smiles. "Thank you for bringing this note."

Player: "What happened between the two of you?"

NPC #2: "Well, I meet NPC a while ago, she was struggling in the process of making chocolate." He looks up and seemed to have remember something in the past, he chuckles. "At that time, I was famous for my chocolate and I helped her in the arts. We became friends that way. She was became so good she was famous throughout the Mana World as the best chocolate crafter there is." "One day on Valentine's day, I've created a new milk chocolate that turns color depending on the customer's mood, but NPC was upset that she didn't get any customers that day because of my chocolate. She also had a new chocolate, but since all her customer's were busy buying my chocolate, it didn't matter."

Anyway something like this, I don't want to continue on to the dialogue just yet, just a little bit to get some ideas out there.
So far, the steps of the quest go like this:

1. Get the box of chocolates from NPC #2 and deliver it to NPC #1.
2. Deliver the note/letter to NPC #2.
3. After NPC #2 explains the conflict, he will ask you to deliver another note.
4. Deliver the note to NPC #1 and gain exp/gold/items.
5. Ask her about the love potion and do 2-3 more mini-quests before continuing.

Dayve: Yes, so a box of chocolates and I'm thinking hearts as a new item to help create the love potion. Perhaps a icon of a note/letter if possible, and a vial of the love potion itself. That's all graphically. I don't feel like writing too much more right now, so please comment and give suggestions of revising and such.

-Dimond
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

great idea dimond!!! i love love potions xD muahaha keep the good ideas coming!
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.
Dimond
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dimond »

Okay, I've thought of more in-depth information behind the quest, not really the ingredients to brew the potion, but I'll try to get to that later. For now I have Fred and Maudie, two NPCs whom have conflicts. Quest:

SHORT VERSION:

Fred is a professional and famous for mixing his potions from his own formulas and putting it into his chocolate creating odd, interesting, and tasty affects. Every Valentine's Day he comes out with a new release of chocolate but while experimenting he runs out of ingredients. He rushes to the store before it closes but accidentally bumps into Maudie. Maudie spills her chocolate she had in a paper bag and Fred is extremely sorry and apologetic and offers to pay for her ingredients needed to make another batch of chocolate. When they come back a blizzard hits and it's impossible for Fred to find his way back home, so Maudie invites him into her home since they were only a few feet from it. Overjoyed, he insists to make Maudie his chocolate to show his gratitude, Maudie only let's him use her kitchen if he eats her chocolate. Both work and when finished, they eat in unison. Maudie is shocked at the wonderful taste, but even more amazed when the chocolate turns into a white creamy color, changing the flavor. She then finds out Fred's identity and begs him to take her as his pupil. Fred accepts, realizing there is need for improvement. Both become friends, and have stores which both a new release of chocolate. They agree to open at the same time on Valentine's Day, but Fred's waiting customers breaks into a fight which he solves by opening early. When Maudie learns of this she is outraged and brews a love potion for people to fall in love with her chocolate and boxes labeled with "Maudie's Special Valentine's Chocolate: Free Sample!". She sneaks in Fred's shop and replaces his chocolate with hers and rushes back to her store expecting a flood of customers. The love potion works, but goes wrong. The customers trash Fred's shop, Fred is shocked and devastated when he discovers Maude did it. The crowd then decided to go after Maudie and trashes her shop. Both shops trashed, friendship ruined, help these two get back together!

DETAILED VERSION:

Fred is an experienced with creating edible goodness, chocolate. Not only a good crafter of chocolate, but a brewer too. Following formulas (that usually Fred himself made), he combines the result of his brew to chocolate which usually turns out as odd, tasty, and fantastic. Famous, he has a shop which is highly populated on Valentines because he release a brand-new chocolate which have amazing affects. Not too far from the special day, he works on formulas and experiments with different chocolates, and before he knew it, he was out of ingredients. Determined to come up with his special treat he rushes on a cold, cloudy evening to a store close to closing.

Maudie is a woman practicing to be a professional at chocolate and has made a batch of her own, contained in a paper bag. Inexperienced and not given a proper instructor, her chocolates are slightly deformed and taste is never the same result (usually not very good). She had just exited her home and slowly descended her front stone steps. She was going to go over to a friend's to see her opinion about the batch, but Fred accidentally bumps into her and she slips, dropping the paper bag, spilling the chocolates into a brownish mess. It is raining lightly creating a brown watercolor effect with the contents of the bag.

Maudie gives a shrill, shocked, but proceeds to anger, whilst Fred is sorry and bends down to help her up and clean up the mess. Maudie then mumbles about having to stop by the store, for she had not enough ingredients to make another batch. Fred hears and immediately offers to pay for her groceries to make up for what he did, hesitantly, she agrees and both rush to their destination, raining harder as they did. While coming back, Fred to his home, Maudie to hers, the rain turned to snow and it became a blizzard. Not being able to find his way back home because of the snow, Maudie invites him into her's since they happened to be only
a few feet away from the steps Maudie had descended.

Overjoyed by the invitation, Fred insists to show his gratitude by having her try one of his chocolates.Reluctant of a stranger accessing her kitchen, she agrees only to the condition that he try her chocolate. Determined, Maudie begin, but her work stops as she glances at Fred in marvel. Excellent skills of only a profession crafter of chocolate, but stubborn, she gains a sudden burst of stubbornness and turns back to her work with renewed self-confidence. As both finish, they sit, with both of their chocolates in front of them, and they both took a bite in unison. Maudie is now amazed at the taste and even more amazed when th chocolate turns to a light brown to a creamy white. Awed, but glances at Fred dumbfounded. Fred then looks at Maudie, then she learns whom Fred's identity is, and immediately asks if she could be his pupil. Fred seeing her chocolate skills in need of improvement, he agrees.

Maudie soon becomes extremely good in her skills, and also basic skills in brewing and thus gain popularity of her own shop. Both Fred and Maudie are great friends and as Valentine's Day approaches they both make haste and come up with a new creation of chocolate, agreeing to both open at the same time as to not deprive each other of customers. Their shops are crowded with people on Valentines, waiting for the doors to open. At Fred's a feud breaks out and the crowd goes crazy, to solve this he opens early which calms the crowd, the tension release, but word spreads like wildfire and the impatient crowd departs Maudie's. Maudie ready to open, realizes the crowd left, and not a single soul wait for her opening. She scans the area and finds a man walking down the street, and tries to draw information of the loss from him. When finding out Fred opened early, she's outraged and seeks revenge, thus she brews a love potion, injecting it into her own chocolate. She rushes to Fred's shop and manages to hide through the crowd and replaces the chocolate with her own in a box which said "Maudie's Special Valentine's Chocolate: Free Sample!". Maudie rushes back to her shop and waits patiently for the crowd to come back, as Fred is left with the same result as she.

Sadly the love potion was brewed with haste and if you brew a love potion incorrectly the results can be devastating. Fred is affected negatively as Maudie hoped but... As the customers sampled the her chocolate they went wild and trashed Fred's shop. Fred is shocked at the turn of events and soon learns from his assistant of the strange labels on the boxes, realizing Maudie the cause he is devastated. His shop trashed the insane crowd decided to find Maudie and destroy her shop. Maudie sees the crowd approaching and immediately regrets the sight when realizing their intentions. Both shops are trashed, friendship ruined, help repair Maudie and Fred's relationship!

Okay... That was a LOT of typing! Probably more than was needed. I typing in a different color because I figure that if you read from the top down, probably something of a different color would be nice. Anyway that's story behind the quest. I have more ideas... just too tired to type anymore of this!!! Oh, BTW Maria.... Thanks for supporting me. :)

-Dimond
Armadeus
Knight
Knight

Post by Armadeus »

That looks like it was a lot of typing, how long did that take you? an hour or more? xD

It's a great idea, keep the ideas coming. :)