Paralaxing ...

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

zick
Novice
Novice

Paralaxing ...

Post by zick »

I heard that there is the ability to add paralaxing to maps ... I attached an animated gif (I know, sue me) of something I'd like to see added to the paralaxing engine. It shows all the layers working in conjunction and demonstrates what I believe would be a cool effect.

Pardon the crudity, I threw it together in 15 mins ...

The bottommost layer is a "celestial body" layer for some object that doesn't move in a panorama (the sun, the moon or moons, the stars)

I didn't include it in this demo, but I think it be cool to have a "clouds" layer for something that moves whether or not the map is moving or not, like how clouds will always move because of the wind.

Then you have the "panorama" layer for mountains, a valley forest or village, etc. that travels slower than the main map.

You've got the "map" layer with some tree objects and a little stick figure guy.

Finally you have a "tree wall" layer for something at the edge of the map that moves faster than the main map. This can be a tree wall, a castle wall, a cliff, a picket fence, etc.
Attachments
1.gif
1.gif (247.97 KiB) Viewed 4284 times
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Re: Paralaxing ...

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Given our viewing angle, it'd have to be used for stuff in the ground or water, not skyline.
zick
Novice
Novice

Post by zick »

jaxad0127 wrote:Given our viewing angle, it'd have to be used for stuff in the ground or water, not skyline.
Wait ... huh? I don't understand ...
DarkWater
Warrior
Warrior

Post by DarkWater »

That is jaxese, let my try to translate.

"There is nothing I can say that would be useful, so I am just going to state the only thing that I see wrong with the picture and comment on it." It is kind of like a non answer, you will get used to them. In short, you are between, I dont care and dont like it.

The parallax effect can be really cool, like fires and torches. Unfortunately, it would be whole waste of time trying to get it to work on the current server and the new server has a long list of things that need to be fixed first.

So I am stuck between, find it fun and maybe next year.
I am relentless, unpredictable, waiting for your last breath- Princess of Darkness
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

This game is not a side scroller, so parallax like your example isn't useful. Parallax can be used to give interesting effects in other areas, like stuff beneath the player (like in a pit, or water under a bridge or ship).
DarkWater wrote:nonsense
Go do something useful, please, or at least stop wasting everyone else's time.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Recently we added support for background images which can scroll parallax like the foreground images used for fog, sandstorm and cave spotlight effects. The technique is the same, just that they are behind the map tiles instead of in front of it. I created a nice demo for the botcheck area with four layers of stars scrolling parallax in the background.

But unfortunately we can not use these yet because a lot of people still play with older client versions which don't support them. To show the backgrounds, parts of the map have to be transparent, and this causes ugly graphic bugs on older clients.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
zick
Novice
Novice

Post by zick »

jaxad0127 wrote:This game is not a side scroller
This is not a side scrolling demo, it just happens that the guy stays on the same horizontal line. Remember, I threw that together in 15 mins. I can spend some more time making it look professional, showing the player moving up an down, etc. But this was just a quick and dirty demo.
crush wrote:But unfortunately we can not use these yet because a lot of people still play with older client versions which don't support them
What if it was a backwards compatible, or maybe old clients ignored the code ... New clients can understand the code.

---

Anyways, would you want me to spend more time on this making it look better. I think it'd be cool to have various types of paralaxing (a planet that stays in place, a tree wall that scrolls faster than the map moves).
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

zick wrote:
crush wrote:But unfortunately we can not use these yet because a lot of people still play with older client versions which don't support them
What if it was a backwards compatible, or maybe old clients ignored the code ... New clients can understand the code.
It can't be backwards compatible. Clients that don't support underlays will get graphical errors.
zick wrote:Anyways, would you want me to spend more time on this making it look better. I think it'd be cool to have various types of paralaxing (a planet that stays in place, a tree wall that scrolls faster than the map moves).
Go ahead. It might be useful in some areas.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Screenshots and a zip with the proof of concept (you will need a server where you have GM rights to warp yourself to botcheck to see it).

http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9250
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

We can always just screw older clients and force people to update to what is our official recommendation. Whether or not that is nice to affected people is a completely different issue.

It all boils down to how small of an amount of people are we talking about there. Statistics anyone?
This message used to be meaningful.
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

Rotonen wrote:We can always just screw older clients and force people to update to what is our official recommendation. Whether or not that is nice to affected people is a completely different issue.

It all boils down to how small of an amount of people are we talking about there. Statistics anyone?
There should be statistics based on the update thingy, but I can't find the URL.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Well looking at these numbers it seems like over 80% of our users already use clients which support backgrounds.

Does anyone have an idea how we could create a map which showcases this feature (without spending hundreds of man-hours on new tiles)?
  • NOT a game master

Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Crush wrote:Well looking at these numbers it seems like over 80% of our users already use clients which support backgrounds.
Note that we no longer support clients older than 0.0.29.1.
zick
Novice
Novice

Post by zick »

I redid my demo ... The problem is it's to big to make an animated gif ... I made it in flash, but the forums don't accept flash. Anybody know of some free flash host?