Arkim the bat tormentor

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

OnymA
Novice
Novice

Arkim the bat tormentor

Post by OnymA »

cody wrote: The only problem I see is that you have to go through a long dialog with Arkim and he asks only for 3 bat wings each time. This could be changed so you would have to go only once a day through the dialog, but as far as I know no player has asked to change this.
I do, now :P

would be cool when we dont have to click a thousand times to get the rewards

is there a chance to change this ?
*wool producing*
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Re: Arkim the bat tormentor

Post by Kage »

OnymA wrote:
cody wrote: The only problem I see is that you have to go through a long dialog with Arkim and he asks only for 3 bat wings each time. This could be changed so you would have to go only once a day through the dialog, but as far as I know no player has asked to change this.
I do, now :P

would be cool when we dont have to click a thousand times to get the rewards

is there a chance to change this ?
The issue is, you have get a allotment of points every 24 hours. The script consumes a certain number of points. We can increase the requirement and the reward, but we will also have to increase the number of points. The problem being that low level players will have issues in getting their full point value.

The solution to this, is to add higher level quests which require different items, but at a higher reward / cost. So high level players won't have to do so much clicking. This planned but no one is working towards it yet.
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
OnymA
Novice
Novice

Post by OnymA »

what about changing the position of answers so you would have just click enter enter enter......
would be easier i guess :P
*wool producing*
Calmwind
Newly Registered User

Post by Calmwind »

I've taken a look at the scripts for this npc and i believe it possible to have arkim accept all the bat wings in one go, while retaining the 3 bat wing option as well.

Just need to see what you guys think.

And what sort of dialogue you'd like to see from him. We could either make the payoff the same for doing it all at once, less because less redundant effort is taken, or more as a boon for collecting all the wings at once, i say the payoff should be the same.

Just curious for input.

Or would you prefer an entirely different npc, like maybe a rival of arkim who will only take all the wings at once, and maybe ridicules arkim for his redundant, arcane ways.
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

Cody, the only issue is that REQUIRES the quest to be done that many times. Higher up quests might not be so simple as getting bat wing, but something that requires real work to obtain. Meaning players that can't obtain the maximum amount of items needed, can't even do the quest once.

The solution is other daily quests, like mike that I added. The bat wing quest is meant for players around level 20, which I am considering lowering even more. I agree expecting a high level to do the quest the maximum number of times is unreasonable. But once they can do the higher level quests, they SHOULDN'T do it the maximum number of times, if at all.

I wrote the interface to show how simple it is to add a daily quest. http://gitorious.org/tmw-eathena-data/m ... p/mike.txt

The only important thing to remember is to keep the value of:

Code: Select all

@dq_money / @dq_cost
and

@dq_exp / @dq_cost
reasonable for the level.

But other then that, it should take literally minutes to add new quests to the daily system. So if you don't like talking to the bat man so many times. ADD A Duck HIGHER LEVEL QUEST THAT GIVES BETTER REWARDS AND LESS TIME TO DO FOR YOUR LEVEL!!!!!!!
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

cody wrote:
Kage wrote:But once they can do the higher level quests, they SHOULDN'T do it the maximum number of times, if at all.
At the moment the higher level quest can be done by level 40. So a level 39 character has to do the bat wing quest 9 times. And regardless what you think players SHOULDN'T do, some players still like hunting bats at a higher level. I don't know if you don't understand the nature of players or if you want to promote scriptable clients. This discussion already took me more time than writing an automaton for the quest dialog, so I move on to more interesting things.
Yes, level 39 players are stuck doing it 9 times. The solution? a level 30 quest!
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

You know what? I don't care anymore.

No matter what I do someone is still going to complain about it, then attack me.

Do what ever you want, I quit.
Calmwind
Newly Registered User

Post by Calmwind »

Kage, I for one, am not complaining, only addressing a thread others made and trying to get feedback to perhaps contribute, and expand on what you've already done. The scripts you wrote for daily quest is very well done, because as you say its quite adaptable to accommodate other daily quests, which gives us options. I'm simply trying to get a general consensus of what the average players think and would like to see happen. In fact, kudos to you for creating a daily quest interface.
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

Calmwind wrote:Kage, I for one, am not complaining, only addressing a thread others made and trying to get feedback to perhaps contribute, and expand on what you've already done.
Good luck. Maybe they will start whispering and emailing the complaints and insults to you instead of me.
Calmwind
Newly Registered User

Post by Calmwind »

I don't really know where to submit this so I'll put it here. The modifications allow the user to turn in 3 at a time or the maximum in one go. I did not alter the daily quest function itself as it is good and adaptable for other daily quests as Kage wrote it, all the changes i made are in \tmw\eathena\npc\011-3_Hermits_cave\hermit.txt the following code is hermit.txt. Please note that the 2 commented out dialogue's and functions for seeing the quest points and resetting them were written for testing only. Constructive criticism is welcomed.

//

011-3.gat,30,30,0	script	Arkim	116,{
        mes "[Arkim the Hermit]";
        mes "\"Do you want to go back outside?\"";
        menu
        	"Yes, please!", L_Outside,
        	"Not yet.", -,
			"Actually... Why do you live here?", L_Interested;
	//		"Do you know anything about my daily quest points?", L_DQPCount,
	//		"Reset DQ points batman.", L_DQReset;
        close;

L_Outside:
        warp "011-1.gat", 60, 95;
        close;

L_Interested:
	mes "\"Oh my, never really thought about it!\"";
	next;
	mes "\"I guess mostly I enjoy experimenting with the bats here.\"";

menu
		"I see...", -,
		"What type of experimenting?", L_Experiment;
	close;

L_Experiment:
	mes "\"Never really thought about that either...\"";

next;

mes "You watch as the hermit's old, lazy eyes open wide, and the old man comes alive with energy.";

next;

mes "\"I GUESS I REALLY LIKE CUTTING THEM UP TO SEE HOW THEY WORK!!  HAHAHA!\"";

menu
		"YOU'RE CRAZY!", -,
		"Right... me too!  Can I help?", L_3wingQuest,
		"How many will keep you occupied for today, bozo?", L_DQCheck;
	close;

L_DQCheck:
	if(DailyQuestPoints < 4) goto L_Dejavu;
	goto L_Maxwing;

L_Dejavu:
	mes "\"already did that.. yes.. yes we did...\"";
	close;

L_Maxwing:
	set @dq_level, 20;
	set @dq_cost, 4;
	set @dq_count, DailyQuestPoints / @dq_cost * 3;
	set @dq_cost, DailyQuestPoints;
	set @dq_name$, "BatWing";
	set @dq_friendly_name$, "bat wings";
	set @dq_money, 600 * @dq_count / 3;
	set @dq_exp, 100 * @dq_count / 3;
	mes "\"Respect your elders, Bozo.\"";
	mes "\""+ @dq_count + " wings... seem tasty.. I mean.. Interesting, have them?\"";
	menu
		"No!", -,
	    "Yep!", L_Maxwingrun;
	close;

L_Maxwingrun:
		callfunc "DailyQuest",
		next;	

mes "\"And remember: always lend your toothbrush to a slime!\"";
		close;

// *DQReset and DQPCount are for testing purpose only -CW

// L_DQReset:
//	set DailyQuestPoints, BaseLevel;
//	close;

// L_DQPCount:
//	mes "[Arkim the Hermit]";
//	mes "\"No but someone stuck something to your back saying " + DailyQuestPoints + " if that helps.\"";
//	close;

L_3wingQuest:
	set @dq_level, 20;
	set @dq_cost, 4;
	set @dq_count, 3;
	set @dq_name$, "BatWing";
	set @dq_friendly_name$, "bat wings";
	set @dq_money, 600;
	set @dq_exp, 100;

callfunc "DailyQuest";

next;	

mes "\"And remember: never lend your toothbrush to a slime!\"";
	close;
}
Calmwind
Newly Registered User

Post by Calmwind »

No feedback?

http://pastebin.com/eqCmDjyR

This is the modified hermit.txt

Also the hermit.txt file should be attached now.
Attachments
hermit.txt
(2.53 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
Calmwind
Newly Registered User

Post by Calmwind »

I have been informed the arkim daily quest will remain as is.

Lock this thread please, thank you.