Back to why can't I get my stuff in game?

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Back to why can't I get my stuff in game?

Post by meway »

This is a summery for understanding what a developer does besides help and mentor future game data developers.

First, we need a story. One with a setting problem and solution. In this case because it is a game we also need many problem and solution side quests that fall into the main problem of the game.

Than, we need graphical tiles fitting the setting of our story, so we can create maps. The way we create maps is simple. We download tiled from http://www.mapeditor.org, begin our new map and than open our tile-set. An example of a tile-set can be found here. http://updates.themanaworld.org/tmwdata/graphics/tiles/ We always use png format/file type when saving and creating an image. Map files are saved as .tmx and also .wlk files (use tmx because wlk gets a bit more complicated.)

Now, we begin making our characters known as NPC's or Non Player Characters. These characters help us give the game its game like element as well as give us the story with the ability (us as a player's ability) to troll along helping with NPC problems through out the game. When creating an NPC you must understand what client side and server side are. A client would be the program that you have downloaded to your computer either from the main site, mana source, nightly or git. Server would be what you log into when you begin playing The Mana World aka tmw (please note tmw is not the only server available; In-fact everyone is free to create there own (we do provide help allot of the time)
Now that we understand what client side and server side are. Npc's come in two parts, 3 if you count the xml required with the png image. Number 1 is of course the actual graphic of the NPC and its xml file as well as an entry with npc.xml. Second would be server sided. The actual scripting of the NPC.

When we have an NPC finished during a side quest there are usually items that are needed to complete a task given by it. This is where most of the new contributors come in. Normally make hats first because it seems easiest. Many new contributors fail to add xml files with there images or simply don't know how. (once again we provide help just ask) Most contributors fail to go through this entire process before wondering why there graphics are not really needed.

After everything is said and done one of our developers will add it to gitorious. Git is a program we use to add and update new content into the project (TMW) Gitourious is the database that holds all this information. http://www.gitorious.org/mana for example is where you would find the client. When the item becomes usable it is added into the updates and becomes available to the players.

This is a summery of how things go about around here so I hope it helps our future game data developers.
Last edited by Wombat on 03 Aug 2013, 19:27, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No longer relevant and not relevant enough to update
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Back to why can't I get my stuff in game?

Post by Alige »

Thank you meway for all these precious infos but however I have a question:
Other servers like TAW take TMW's data to make their server better. However, why don't we take take their stuff and improve it at the same time to implement it in TMW?

Redards.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

we do, but not allot because that would not be very original. ;) At least that is the best answer I can come up with. Someone else might have a better point of view. Its sorta wombat and Rotonen's thing to choose what content actually goes into the game.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I can't speak for the current content developers, but back when I was active in content development most of the content from the other servers was just not up to our quality standards.

Most of their content was in fact unreleased stuff made for TMW, but was either unfinished work-in-progress or rejected for quality reasons.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

About content from other games. We've added some content from TMW-UFB to this server and I've browsed some content from TAW as well. We are also working in collaboration with Evol Online involving some art content. Crush is correct that much of it would need to be fixed to be added to the game, but there are also a lot of exceptions. We hope to continue to bring interesting content from other servers to this game.
Current character is "Abolish".
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Ok, I will see what I can take (graphical) from other servers that is relevant. Then I will transform it if necessary and post it on this forum. But for now, we have enough work to do IMO.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

Crush wrote:I can't speak for the current content developers, but back when I was active in content development most of the content from the other servers was just not up to our quality standards.

Most of their content was in fact unreleased stuff made for TMW, but was either unfinished work-in-progress or rejected for quality reasons.
Yes this is pretty much still true.
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

meway wrote:
Crush wrote:I can't speak for the current content developers, but back when I was active in content development most of the content from the other servers was just not up to our quality standards.

Yes this is pretty much still true.
from what i can till ""Yes this is pretty much still true.""

---------skipy
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Yeah, hey, yay"---Nirvana
cinderweb
Peon
Peon

Post by cinderweb »

But could some of it be rehashed and redone in a better way to meet the quality standards?