A in-game questing system

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

GonzoDark
Warrior
Warrior

A in-game questing system

Post by GonzoDark »

I looked around on the forum and could not find a prior suggestion to this subject..

But I think we need a in-game questing system, where we can see what quests we are currently doing, and what we need to do to complete them.

Otherwise, if we go offline and then come back some days later - we will have no idea of what we were doing.

I suggest something like this:

On that list you can see what your active quests and completed quests are.
If you for example click on Mikhail, then another window will pop up with more information regarding that quest.

// GonzoDark
IchigoBlack (86) a.k.a GonzoDark (80) || HolyManaClan

noelleionscowl
Novice
Novice

Re: A in-game questing system

Post by noelleionscowl »

That takes away the fun of discovery!

Clicking on the NPC to have it tell you the next step and where to do it is kinda boring.
</noelleis>
Noelle IonScowl
"Aah! Stop hurting me! It hurts!"
salmondine
Warrior
Warrior

Post by salmondine »

Not really taking fun away.
Rather, not having it takes fun away, I'll explain my thoughts.
For instance how do I tell which of may chars has started the yeti quest, or completed it without starting it.

really I have done it 3 times and have 4 chars who could do it but the effort in figuring out which to take there has made me put off repeating the quest another time.

Many of my chars have initiated quests and been in the middle of it when an event began...
after the event, I have to retrace many steps to see where I am...this is not fun, it is tedious.

with multi-accounts the quest tracking problems multiply exponentially.

KOL has added this as a feature on their game and life is much simpler and happier. =]
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

salmondine wrote:KOL has added this as a feature on their game and life is much simpler and happier. =]
Who or what is KOL? A new TMW fork I haven't heard of yet?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
salmondine
Warrior
Warrior

Post by salmondine »

sorry should have made that clear.
KOL = Kingdom of Loathing...online browser based game with intentionally bad art and worse puns.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Ah, right. Kingdom of Loathing. A really fun game with hellish complexity under the hood.

Well, I think that there is no reason to question the need for a quest log. There are almost no RPGs nowadays - single or multiplayer - which don't have one. So it's pretty much expected to have one.

The question is not if we should have one but rather how to implement it.

I think a simple and sufficient way to do it on tmwAthena without needing any server-sided hacking would be to control the quest log through "magic strings" in NPC dialogs. The downside would be that there is no way to filter them for clients which don't support them yet.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
GonzoDark
Warrior
Warrior

Post by GonzoDark »

I guess someone could add it to the roadmap on mantis? or is that system only used to report bugs?
IchigoBlack (86) a.k.a GonzoDark (80) || HolyManaClan

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Because this is a technical problem please add it to the mantis of the Manasource project.

http://bugs.manasource.org
  • NOT a game master

rootwo_62
Peon
Peon

Post by rootwo_62 »

We at KathetiOnline are currently working on something like this, the alpha will be up in a month or so, for people to actually play on the server. You can join now and test if you'd like.
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi,

The issue in mantis already exists:
http://bugs.manasource.org/view.php?id=145

Help appreciated.

Best regards.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

rootwo_62 wrote:We at KathetiOnline are currently working on something like this.
1. Who is "we"? Anyone know in the Manasource development community?
2. When you develop a client feature which would also be useful for other servers it is always better to contribute the patch to Manasource instead of maintaining a separate fork of the client.
-You are saving yourself a lot of maintenance work with merging the other commits from the mainline into your fork
-You are helping the players who don't need to install a separate client for every server
-You are helping the other servers because they can also use this feature
-The other servers will help you to test, debug and improve the feature
  • NOT a game master