Time to party!

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Derpella
Novice
Novice

Time to party!

Post by Derpella »

Last night I met some guy with similar level on server and wanted to help him with the quest. We found out fighting together is fun, so we made a party.. Soon we came to another quest and another, we met some people and they joined us, and it was really awesome.

There was only one problem.

To get the group together I must had whisper to 4 different people, so we often got lost, follow wrong people etc. Hmm, what it is: allows xp sharing, group chat, allow to check rhe state of other people in group...

So why we all won't just join the party? Answer is easy. Socializing. Almost everyone was already in some group, where he could socialize, trade, get help from higher leveled people, or maybe find the people speaking the same language. Parties are like labels, some people even use it to advertise their shop, people in parties sometimes share similar outfits etc. But not really often fighting together. (OK, I know parties fighting together, but most often it's for high levels, when fighting alone is not enough for tough monsters).

Yes, there are guilds, but social parties are simpler to make and use, and allow you to be easily identified.

Fighting together is awesome- it isn't boring, it allows people to know each other and help each other, and leveling together is like being in the same class ; ) It's the great thing about MMORPG's, without it multiplayer is just a chat with trading.
There are many ways to change it. I know that devs must keep the interface and rules simple. Maybe player should be allowed to join, for example, 3 parties, but choose only one to share exp and items at time (with easy swap)? Maybe 4144 client should show at mouseover who has a shop with something in it?

I may be wrong about game's social dynamics, I'm a mere 45. But I think many people think like this.

btw, if you want join our group focused on active fighting and helping each other with quests, whisper derpella
I'm Image too much.
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Re: Time to party!

Post by enchilado »

Derpella wrote:Yes, there are guilds, but social parties are simpler to make and use, and allow you to be easily identified.
As far as I'm aware there aren't guilds at the moment. Someone does run a guild bot, though.
Derpella wrote:Maybe player should be allowed to join, for example, 3 parties, but choose only one to share exp and items at time (with easy swap)?
I have strong suspicions that this would be somewhat difficult to hack into the server...
Derpella wrote:Maybe 4144 client should show at mouseover who has a shop with something in it?
Not possible, since ManaPlus is an unofficial client and shops are not supported by the server.
Derpella
Novice
Novice

Post by Derpella »

poison_ivy wrote:
Derpella wrote:Yes, there are guilds, but social parties are simpler to make and use, and allow you to be easily identified.
As far as I'm aware there aren't guilds at the moment. Someone does run a guild bot, though.
I think I saw someone with guild tag, maybe it must've been normal clan tag. If guilds start to work, maybe clans will change from party to guild etc. it would take "social party" function and my rage-y post is pointless :D
The rules I read on wiki are interesting, but they will work well only for clans: high levels on top, focus on economics, events, etc. Im afraid groups like my previous party, where I met people from my country, would be unable to do it and people will still have choice "contact with friends or awesome fighting".
poison_ivy wrote:
Derpella wrote:Maybe player should be allowed to join, for example, 3 parties, but choose only one to share exp and items at time (with easy swap)?
I have strong suspicions that this would be somewhat difficult to hack into the server...
I wouldn't underestimate our brave coders... ; )
poison_ivy wrote:
Derpella wrote:Maybe 4144 client should show at mouseover who has a shop with something in it?
Not possible, since ManaPlus is an unofficial client and shops are not supported by the server.
Not possible because I ask here and not on 4144 support, or not possible at all because of client limitations?
I'm Image too much.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

That's exactly why we decided to allow people to be in as many guilds as they want on the new server Manaserv.

(Our definition of "party" and "guild" is that a party is an ad-hoc group formed for usually just one play session, while a guild is a more permanent social circle).
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Derpella wrote:
poison_ivy wrote:
I wouldn't underestimate our brave coders... ; )
Don't overestimate me either.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Kurtz
Peon
Peon

Post by Kurtz »

Derpella, what is the purpose of creating a new forum account each time you create a new
character?
Derpella
Novice
Novice

Post by Derpella »

Kurtz, old one was purged.
I'm Image too much.
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

Crush wrote:That's exactly why we decided to allow people to be in as many guilds as they want on the new server Manaserv.

(Our definition of "party" and "guild" is that a party is an ad-hoc group formed for usually just one play session, while a guild is a more permanent social circle).
Which will lead to hundreds of exchanges of "Ill join your guild if you join mine"... the end result of which will be 15 guilds being the exact clone of each other, except each one will have a different leader.

I have always thought this would be a bad idea.
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

Let the leader of the guild decide if he wants to allow members of other guilds to join/members to join other guilds.
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

Kage wrote:
Crush wrote:That's exactly why we decided to allow people to be in as many guilds as they want on the new server Manaserv.

Which will lead to hundreds of exchanges of "Ill join your guild if you join mine"... the end result of which will be 15 guilds being the exact clone of each other, except each one will have a different leader.

I have always thought this would be a bad idea.
Sure, some players will no doubt do something like that. More stable guilds will take the issue more seriously. They already do -- maybe you need to play the game more. ;)

What is it you say would be a bad idea? Letting players set up new guilds? Letting people choose who can be in their guild? Letting people join more than one guild?

Personally, I like what Crush describes. The original discussion was about the existing game/server, though. Server-side support for guilds exists but was disabled. There are active player guilds nonetheless. There is a player-run guild chat bot that's used every day by the major guilds of HMC, CRC, and Phoenix. Guilds maintain their own web sites, sometimes hold events in the game, and are occasionally active in these forums.
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

Frost wrote: What is it you say would be a bad idea?

Letting people join more than one guild
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

Tabs are nice but I still wish they were removable into separate windows. Easier to keep track of conversation that way.