Monsters Need Work!

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Joe777
Newly Registered User

Monsters Need Work!

Post by Joe777 »

I have come to realize monsters are just as imbalanced as players. I am sure i do not need to explain what i mean by players being imbalanced as the imbalance between Warriors, Mages, and Archers is painfully obvious so i will get to the point.

1) There is no real monster level ladder. By this i mean that players start climbing the ladder by killing things like maggots and scorpions and eventually make their way up. The lower rungs of the ladder, or low-class monsters are easy enough to build off of, but there is no true mid-class so there are alot of steps on the ladder missing!
Here is a good example: I at one point became a pure Archer at Lv60 by making my Dexterity 99. As a result i have about 159% accuracy. I did not have Mallard's Eye though... Anyway i equipped my Forest Bow and went hunting in Humscald Mine. And get this: I MISSED Spiders! And sometimes 2 times or more in a row! Spiders should be classified as mid-class considering their stats and EXP/JEXP but they are more like high-class monsters based on the difficulty of hitting them! Even my Bone Knife had trouble hitting them! High-class monsters are things like Skeletons and Zombies so it is understandable for someone my level to have difficulty with them as they are more for the really high level players, but that scenario with the Spiders is just ridiculous. They are not alone either: Black Scorpions, Snakes, you name it and monsters around their stature are just as tough! There is a very good reason why Warriors do not level fast around level 60 and such and that is why! There is no true mid-class for us to level off of! We have to stick to low-class to grow fast and the growth is small.

Now that i have said all that i have 2 suggestions:
1) Power down the mid-class a bit so it does not take so much to kill them, especially since they, in the maps they tend to appear in, swarm you! This will make them more soloable as they probably should be.
2) Raise the EXP/JEXP reward for mid-class to make them more worth killing even in teams and parties! It goes without saying that there is a serious stat and reward gap between the mid-class and high-class and something should be done about that.

Also it would not hurt to start making GP lootable, even in small quantity. GP is widely needed in this game and at this time the only legitimate means of getting it is selling loot (which the better selling loot is not very common mind you, nor easy to kill for in the case of loot dropped only by high-class monsters) or doing the Bat Wing quest everyday.

Also while i am at it i think it is high time to add those weapons on wiki that are not in the game or have no stats so Warriors can be stronger and less imbalanced. Make them nice and powerful so they are no longer at a disadvantage!
Joe777 - Main
UltimaJoe - Mage
HeroJoe - Warrior
RangerJoe - Archer
Len
Knight
Knight

Re: Monsters Need Work!

Post by Len »

I agree but to the other extreme, I find it too easy to kite pretty much any monster (I'm fighting skeletons at lvl 50). It would seem that the inaccuracy with a bow even at max Dex is to compensate for this. I wish they would just vary their attack styles and speeds, so you might have a powerful but slow monster paired with weak but super fast swarming monsters (in walking and DPS). I would also like to see more monsters with a ranged attack.

Gold is not an issue as far as I can tell, Archers and Mages have the hardest time as they are throwing gold at the target (red slimes are easy to kill and drop some great money makers, you also have monster point rewards and daily quests).
Pixel Battalion
Joe777
Newly Registered User

Post by Joe777 »

Len wrote:I agree but to the other extreme, I find it too easy to kite pretty much any monster (I'm fighting skeletons at lvl 50).
A major benefit mages have, assuming you are using magic? Aside from that Archers and Warriors have trouble killing them, unless you managed to score the best armor already...
Len wrote:It would seem that the inaccuracy with a bow even at max Dex is to compensate for this. I wish they would just vary their attack styles and speeds, so you might have a powerful but slow monster paired with weak but super fast swarming monsters (in walking and DPS). I would also like to see more monsters with a ranged attack.
Archers already have it made far too well so i suppose they have to have a flaw at some point, but Mallard's Eye plays a huge role so without it Archers plain suck.

Come to think of it Astral Soul makes up a large portion of a mage's power too. If Warriors got a skill like this they would be more on par would they not? Oh and check this out (from the wiki):

Pinkie: Attack Range 2
Butterfly: Attack Range 2
Giant Maggot: Attack Range 2
Pink Flower: Attack Range 2
Mouboo: Attack Range 2
Giant Cave Maggot:: Attack Range 2
Fire Skull: Attack Range 2
Poison Skull: Attack Range 2
Lady Skeleton: Attack Range 2
Drunken Lady Skeleton: Attack Range 2
Jack O: Attack Range 2
Fallen: Attack Range 2
Zombie: Attack Range 2
Yeti: Attack Range 2
Wisp: Attack Range 2
Spectre: Attack Range 3
Poltergeist: Attack Range 3
Ice Element: Attack Range 3 (Attacks pretty dam fast too if i do say so myself)
Bandit Lord: Attack Range 5

So you see there are ranged monsters but if what you truly meant was one as ranged as the Bandit Lord then i get where you're coming from, although it would make things difficult in ways.
Len wrote:Gold is not an issue as far as I can tell, Archers and Mages have the hardest time as they are throwing gold at the target (red slimes are easy to kill and drop some great money makers, you also have monster point rewards and daily quests).
While it is true money is not a huge issue the loot you find (aside from equipment you don't need to use) is usually used for other purposes so actually looting GP can help, especially since loot is not often dropped. If GP dropped say 75% of the time you would almost always get at least something off of a kill rather than at times kill like 5 or maybe more monsters and not get a thing and then to add injury to the insult watch someone else kill the very same monster immediately after the last one you killed and they loot something you wanted... But that's beside the point. Overall it just feels awkward to play a game that doesn't drop gold whereas most every other game you ever play does. Know what i mean?
Joe777 - Main
UltimaJoe - Mage
HeroJoe - Warrior
RangerJoe - Archer
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

There is an upcoming skill for warriors. I don't know what progress there is on the quest that makes it available.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Joe777
Newly Registered User

Post by Joe777 »

Wish i could help but the only thing i am good at doing is mapmaking (particularly through tortoisesvn) and tweaking the stats of monsters i put in them as well as the loot they drop :oops: But good to know! :D
Joe777 - Main
UltimaJoe - Mage
HeroJoe - Warrior
RangerJoe - Archer