Yeti changes

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Yeti changes

Post by Frost »

Recently the yetis were radically changed. They're now a LOT less powerful and to me also much less interesting to fight.

Before: very fast, maybe as fast as JackOs. It was a real challenge to solo them. The Cindy battle was very exciting because mages had to keep running.

Now: slow. They seem to hit harder, but for mages it's just not a challenge. Even my mage with 15 Vit and 1 Luck can solo 3 yetis easily. The Cindy battle has become a slugfest where you pound away at a yeti until it's dead, then move on. Mages spend most of the time standing around throwing lightning bolts or flar. I just watched a mage finish the last 4 rounds of the Cindy battle solo!

I haven't found a discussion about this, so I'll ask here. Why were they changed?
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Yeti changes

Post by Frost »

Ali-G, why was this changed? What was "balanced?"

$ git show 77e821
commit 77e821ab5efaf99f7a0fff5d5fa89bfad59e59d0
Author: Ali-G
Date: Sun Jun 12 06:18:10 2011 +0200

Balanced the Yeti's speed stats to avoid buggy features. Thank you to peteam

diff --git a/db/mob_db.txt b/db/mob_db.txt
index 89e0a23..db16158 100644
--- a/db/mob_db.txt
+++ b/db/mob_db.txt
@@ -72,7 +72,7 @@
1069, Scythe, Scythe, 40, 3000, 0,
1070, BallLightning, BallLightning, 40, 10, 0,
1071, IceElement, IceElement, 100, 5000, 0,
-1072, Yeti, Yeti, 100, 8500, 0,
+1072, Yeti, Yeti, 100, 8500, 0,
1073, TheLost, TheLost, 30, 5000, 0,
//1074, RedBone
//1075, Stalker
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

The Yeti is indeed slower now but its xml now works fine with the new speed. It had buggy features while walking, standing, etc...
I agree that it might change a lot of things and we might need to change it back as before, taking care of its movements.
I assume that I should of thought of that before but it seemed to me that the Yeti looked way better after the changes made by peteame.

Ali-G
radiant
Novice
Novice

Post by radiant »

The Yeti used to have speed 220, making it even faster than JackO (250). Strangely enough, I actually liked the faster version better, because it was closer to the player speed (150 with no speed skill adjustment) and a group of them could be more easily herded around without having some fall off the back of the pack, where they're liable to move on to a player who doesn't want to be chased.
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

What I mean is that the speed was changed because we had buggy features due to the xml. We might need to have a closer look to the xml to change it so that we can reestablish a higher speed. However, I think that they were a bit too fast (for me) but this doesn't mean speed 220 was a bad idea! ;)

Thanks to Frost for opening this thread, I agree we needed to talk about that.

Ali-G
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

I read it like five times now, what are "buggy features"?
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

It was as if the Yeti had fire in the ass while being constipated.
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

Ali-G wrote:It was as if the Yeti had fire in the ass while being constipated.
And why did you changed his speed then? It's xml's issue.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Speed and xml are connected.
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

Ali-G wrote:Speed and xml are connected.
Seriously? :o

You just need to adapt the xml with the speed, not to adapt the speed with the xml..
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
alastrim
Novice
Novice

Post by alastrim »

I think this is the post where pateame reported the yeti speed issue:
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 2&#p108092
pateame

Post by pateame »

Quoting myself on that post:
pateame wrote: I don't know if that speed decrease on mob_db.txt can affect the current rebalance project, so I just leave it as a values example for testing purposes. .
What I wanted was to can see all the frames on yeti animation, not only idle animation frames while attacking and walking.

[+] Old Yeti mob_db values:
Speed = 220, Adelay = 1500, Amotion = 672, Dmotion = 900
ImageImage
[+] New config values example:
Speed = 380, Adelay = 666, Amotion = 1000, Dmotion = 600 .
ImageImage

Attack looks better, but now walk/run is too slow for overpowered mages and archers
- Escaping from old yeti battle:
Image "OMG! it's gonna hit me!"
- Escaping from current yeti:
Image "Nah... that old ape is too slow."

Yeti attacks are melee style, just a piece of cake for running mages and archers.
I was thinking on new ways of attack, as long range attacks to can make battle against mages/archers a bit interesting (maybe throwing snowballs?).
You can play with mob_db.txt values as much as you want on a test server to get a faster monster with a synchonized attack, but maybe you will need to remove those idle animations on .XML first to don't crash with speed/adelay/amotion/dmotion values.
Im glad to see your interest on fix that issue, ¿Why dont you fix the yeti mask and item gathering quests related with yeti too?.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

This is a typically wrong placed update. I can understand the Artist's and Developer's point of view who wants aspect to be perfect. And this job has to be done.
but the problem is
Whom this update intended for? answer: gamers, not developers and artists
Does the update fits the content developers ideas? answer no; because it breaks the idea of "free cindy" quest to be solved by a team
Does it increase fun to play? obviously no
The only advantage I can see is mine as a mage. I got 10 tears in the same time I got one before.

This thread underlines the necessity of a team of testers, who can give a feedback and contradictory point of view before an update is released.
Fortunately we have now test servers. http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 13&t=13388
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
pateame

Post by pateame »

I'm trying to explain the technical issue with 'speed' value on mob_db.txt, wich not only affects the walk/run speed but also the attack sequences. The drama involved with player frustrations doesn't require an explanation.
... Soon we will got the same problem if Wolf monster is released, wich require a slow speed value to display all frames correctly, and surely will be a boring challenge for current mages/archers.
- Let's take a look again:

- On my test server it currently have speed : 425
- Here's how it looks with player speed : 150

So... why bother drawing 5 attack frames if we only can see just one? Why bother drawing 6 walking frames if we only can see just one?. Solutions aren't here yet, but I wish to find a way to solve this with testing and feedback from devs.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

It seems like the walking sequence is reset when a new tile is reached. That's a client bug which should be solved when it isn't yet (what client version are you using?).

The attack animation being reset when damage is dealt makes sense, though. When the content development define the attack speed of a monster they should also adjust the delays in the animation xml so that the animation duration matches the attack duration.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.