Should there be a public channel in game?

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Should there be a a public in game chat channel.

Yes
59%
No
32%
I am undecided
5%
I have a better idea for implementation of such. (please post it)
5%

Total votes: 22
truepurple
Newly Registered User

Should there be a public channel in game?

Post by truepurple »

Suggestion:
A channel for public speak, it can be another tab in messages, along with party and whispers, so opting out of it or ignoring it should be very easy.

Perhaps conversation in IRC channel #themanaworld can appear in this public channel I am proposing, and visa versa, if feasible.

Reason:
Well to communicate with everyone in the game, without needing to leave the game. No current options really substitute for this. With some games, the game is just something you use to whittle away time in space between conversations, and mana world is such a simple game as to be perfect for such a role.

Some peoples expressed concern:
That the channel would be filled with spam.

My response:
Many other free MMORPGs have public chat channels and have learned to deal with them. Of course there can be problems. But there is nothing stopping someone from getting onto IRC and spamming that either, yet that does not happen (perhaps because it is so rarely used in the first place though)

Possible solutions:
Perhaps there could be a quest or other hurdles to enabling this public channel that might discourage lazy spammers. Also we could have a few trusted monitors from the players that have mute powers. They could be rewarded with some regular gold or something. And a option to dispute their decisions be present somewhere. Otherwise or as well, a client side mute option could exist, where each person can mute who they want, and that players words would not show for that person. Other ideas and suggestions are welcome. Also don't forget, since it would be in its own tab, it is easy to ignore or close.

Those who vote, please post your reasons for your vote.
Last edited by truepurple on 02 Oct 2011, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Re: Should there be a public channel in game?

Post by Kage »

adding IRC to the client has been suggested many times, IIRC the developer that was working on it left.
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
truepurple
Newly Registered User

Post by truepurple »

Even if it hasn't been tied to IRC, I would like to see a general chat channel.
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

truepurple wrote:Even if it hasn't been tied to IRC, I would like to see a general chat channel.
eAthena doesn't support global chat channels, and it would be easier to add IRC to the client then channels to eAthena.
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

truepurple wrote:Also we could have a few trusted monitors from the players that have mute powers. They could be rewarded with some regular gold or something.
Reward chat moderators with GP? Not a good idea.
truepurple
Newly Registered User

Post by truepurple »

@Kage
In casual chat in town square Meway mentioned that l or I use to whisper everyone, which sounds alot like a public channel if it appeared in its own tab. So for you to say something that at least partially, if not fully already existed would be harder to implement then combining one clients function with another- IRC, that seems a little hard to believe.

@enchildo,
what would be so bad about that?
Kage wrote:adding IRC to the client has been suggested many times, IIRC the developer that was working on it left.
Well then might someone pretty please pick up where that developer left off?
bigglesworth
Novice
Novice

Post by bigglesworth »

Only spammers and masochists would opt-in to global public chat.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Kage wrote:eAthena doesn't support global chat channels, and it would be easier to add IRC to the client then channels to eAthena.
:?: Isn't party chat a global channel?
:?: Isn't Guild chat a global channel ( I mean the one you disabled on TMW but which is still available on other servers and NOT guild bot)

When I was using 0.0.28.1 client (not so long ago on mac), the /help comment in client told about creating, joining, and leaving chat rooms, What about them? Chat rooms would be useful (what about moderators?) particularly to solve non-english speaking linked problems :)
btw, as an user I'm not concerned by the technology you prefer to use as long as the functionality is available.

Rooms, yes
Gobal channel no

cordially
Nard
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Nard wrote: When I was using 0.0.28.1 client (not so long ago on mac), the /help comment in client told about creating, joining, and leaving chat rooms, What about them?
Chatrooms, one of the Ragnarok Online functionalities of eAthena, do not work like you seem to think they do.

In Ragnarok Online, a player can open a chatroom which appears as a speech bubble with the chatroom title above its characters head. Nearby players can join it by clicking on them. You can't move or do anything else while you are in a chatroom. Their capacity is limited to 20 people. Most people on RO just used them as billboards.

I can't tell how deep these shortcomings are integrated into the software design of this feature and thus I can't tell how hard it would be to remove them. Without actually looking at the code, the biggest problem will most likely be that they are limited to the surrounding and thus it would be hard to make them work between map.

By the way, Manaserv has global public chat channels for years.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Derpella
Novice
Novice

Post by Derpella »

I think a help channel is badly needed...
Some high-level people like to help newbs, but sitting in tulim is fruitless. And newbs still need help. Every time I see someone with almost lvl 30, with no quests done, killing maggots, my heart cries :D
I'm Image too much.