Forum Settings

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

jeffm2501
Newly Registered User

Forum Settings

Post by jeffm2501 »

Is there a way to prevent people from sending PMs to the "Newly registered users" group. It seems silly that it is even there, when it only gets used by mistake.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Forum Settings

Post by Crush »

While it is technically possible to make it impossible for NRUs to receive messages, I see no reason to do this. When you feel harassed by someone, feel free to forward the message to a forum administrator.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

Yea... I accedently sent a message to all NRU's when sending one to platyna. So I think it might be to prevent this.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I can forbid groups to RECEIVE ANY private messages, and I can forbid groups to SEND private messages to ANY whole group.

But so far I haven't found a way to disable group-messaging only to specific groups.

Group-messaging is a useful tool for reaching the administrators or development groups. But on the other hand, those groups where a non-admin has a legitimate reason to send a mass-message to are all small enough to hand-pick the users manually.

Do you think that we should disable mass-messaging for everyone except forum administrators?
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

No
salmondine
Warrior
Warrior

Post by salmondine »

Isn't there some way just to block meway? seems easier lol....seriously this is not a problem.
happened maybe 3-4 times in as many years to me...not enough to be annoying.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Well, "registered users" are 13834 people and "newly registered users" are 8138 people. We can assume that most of these people also receive email notifications for private messages, because it's the default setting.
  • NOT a game master

o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Crush wrote:I can forbid groups to RECEIVE ANY private messages, and I can forbid groups to SEND private messages to ANY whole group.

But so far I haven't found a way to disable group-messaging only to specific groups.
Well, there has to be a setting, because only some groups appear:
  • Newly registered users (special group)
  • Banned
  • TMW Game MAster
  • TMW CR Contributor
  • tmwAthena Content Developer
Groups that don't appear:
  • Global Moderators
  • Registered Users
  • GHP
  • tmwAthena Tech Developer
  • Mana Developer
I suggest starting with an opposing pair with similar permissions - e.g. tmwAthena Content/Tech Developer.

Coincidentally, the list of groups that don't appear is the same as my groups, except I'm not in "Mana Developer". (Hm, I'm not in "tmwAthena Content Developer?" - perhaps from when it was changed from TMW-eA Content/Tech Developer ...)
Crush wrote:Do you think that we should disable mass-messaging for everyone except forum administrators?
Yes. In the unlikely event that someone else needs to do such, we can always ask.

See also: http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2001-08-25
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

why would you just block me? I have never used this option before and I would not like to be discluded from it because of an accident..
I didn't even notice it until 100 NRU's messaged me back so.. who would get the best laugh out of that bunch of fail?...
jeffm2501
Newly Registered User

Post by jeffm2501 »

meway is not the only person to have accidentally done it, and not even the last one.

Also I registered in 2010, I'm not sure how that makes me a "new user".
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

jeffm2501 wrote:Also I registered in 2010, I'm not sure how that makes me a "new user".
It's done solely by post count.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Freeyorp101
Archivist Prime
Archivist Prime

Post by Freeyorp101 »

I found the relevant option under Manage Groups -> Group wide options -> Group able to receive private messages.

I've disabled this on the Registered Users group. Should some of the other groups be listed/removed?

---Freeyorp
(09:58:17) < tux9th> Freeyorp: your sig on the forums is kind of outdated
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

I think that should be sufficient, Thanks freeyorp :)