parallaxing clouds

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Len
Knight
Knight

parallaxing clouds

Post by Len »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtHxYnej ... r_embedded

Found this while doing some research.. Oddly enough I could really care less about the game, what I found interesting was the cloud effect and how it might be great for a high mountain map or any map (I would probably make the clouds have less opacity and increase the overall size so they blend into one another).
Pixel Battalion
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: parallaxing clouds

Post by Crush »

The Mana client is already capable of doing that with map overlays.

But while this is indeed beautiful eyecandy, I think it might get pretty distracting pretty quickly, so I would recommend to use it sparingly.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Crush wrote:The Mana client is already capable of doing that with map overlays.

But while this is indeed beautiful eyecandy, I think it might get pretty distracting pretty quickly, so I would recommend to use it sparingly.
It couldn't be any worse than the snow or sandstorm overlays...
Pixel Battalion
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Crush wrote:But while this is indeed beautiful eyecandy, I think it might get pretty distracting pretty quickly, so I would recommend to use it sparingly.
Indeed, that's why I've disabled overlays locally.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

I'm probably dreaming. but what are the chances of doing something akin to this?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut0SqBeA ... re=related
Pixel Battalion
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

That engine looks really impressive. But I am pretty sure he is cheating and adds some 3d information to the tiles. Otherwise the engine can't know their shape.

I wrote a mockup how we could do lightmap-based lightning, but I am pretty sure it must be done in hardware to avoid being an FPS killer:
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 05&p=55722
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
chaslinux
Novice
Novice

Post by chaslinux »

Crush wrote:I wrote a mockup how we could do lightmap-based lightning, but I am pretty sure it must be done in hardware to avoid being an FPS killer:
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 05&p=55722
And one of the things I like about TMW is that it will run on a fairly low resource machine (running it on my Celeron 1.5GHz notebook, 2GB RAM though.). My video card is only an Intel 915 card, glad we haven't pushed 3D too much. There are lots of games doing 3D, still prefer the isometric (ala Diablo II) style look to the blocky 3D stuff being done for most games.