Which client do you use?

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Which client do you use?

Official Client
22%
ManaPlus
63%
Manabot
3%
Other Client
13%

Total votes: 32
Derpella
Novice
Novice

Re: Which client do you use?

Post by Derpella »

I counted Yorpies stats, and 30% of users is not using manaplus, but considering many newbies are connecting once or twice, mainly from official client, and never coming back again, my estimation of 80% was too humble :)

It also shows how representative the forum is for the players community :)
I'm Image too much.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

What I find most interesting in that statistic is that almost all Mana users are using Linux, while the OS demographic for the ManaPlus client is about 50/50.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Derpella
Novice
Novice

Post by Derpella »

That is because most newbies are gained by Ubuntu repositories... And people who came back to win or must use it (in work, for example) already use manaplus.
Somehow I think big part of 0.0.29 users are really Manabot users.
Well, there is also a part of people using some home-brewed modified clients, based on mana or manaplus... I remember a small gui-less client to communicate, (http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 12&t=11712) I am surprised there is no "unidentified" clients at all. Are they not registered?

Oh, and about statistics: I feel the very important one should be the number of new players, who logged on more than... 5, 10 times after registering. It shows how many people who decided to try out the game decided they don't like it. Of course itself it has no so big meaning, since many people were expecting God knows what, but you could later compare the numbers in time, which would show if changes are liked by newbies or no, and how the tendency looks like.
I'm Image too much.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Derpella wrote:I am surprised there is no "unidentified" clients at all. Are they not registered?
The user-agent string which is sent to the update server is generated by code in the client itself. Most people who modify their client have no reason to change this code, which means their client shows up as the one it is based on.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Derpella
Novice
Novice

Post by Derpella »

Nah, I checked. Whisperbot is not in the register at all.
I'm Image too much.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I didn't look at the sourcecode, but considering that whisperbot is just a minimalistic python script I am pretty sure that it doesn't check for updates and thus isn't logged by the update server.
  • NOT a game master

Derpella
Novice
Novice

Post by Derpella »

Oh, right :) Data are from update server after all...

I have a question: old versions file show "Mana/1.0-git" often, but none now... Was it merged with 0.5, since, afaik, it can use manaserv when compiled wirh some parameters?
I'm Image too much.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

Of course MANABOT!