What do you think of the Blue Sage Quest?

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Nard
Knight
Knight

Re: What do you think of the Blue Sage Quest?

Post by Nard »

I had the problem on the test server but was not as important as it is on main now. On main you have also many more players, timing is different (lags, whatever the duration), thus a lot of parameters change. I tested alone on the server, I planed to do collective testing but I was too much late to do it... :/
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
baedamichi
Novice
Novice

Post by baedamichi »

Nard wrote:I had the problem on the test server
That's weird, I never experienced this problem on the test server...

Both on the test server and on the main server I did the same thing, soloing against the slimes...

While on the test server, I only had to kill like 3-5 groups of white slimes, for instance. On the main server, I tried soloing the white slimes just 20 minutes ago, I managed to kill about 12 groups of white slimes (before I got randomly "killed"), and still didn't get the message that I had extinguished the nest... There was neither interference by other players nor lag...

But, a heads up to the devs: At least the probability to be randomly killed seems right now, when I tried 20 minutes ago, it seemed to be about the same as on the test server (i.e.: not too high), so I guess this issue can be seen as "fixed".
Last edited by baedamichi on 01 May 2012, 15:39, edited 1 time in total.
Piateluca
Novice
Novice

Post by Piateluca »

Frost wrote: Many thanks to the devs (especially Jenalya but also Pjotr Orial, Ali-G, salmondine, Yubaba, Pihro, Kandiman, and all the others) who spent months of unpaid work to create such a rich and enjoyable and HUGE addition to the game world!
this
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

How did you get this photo???? I am on 8th row extreme right :D
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

baedamichi wrote:I only had to kill like 3-5 groups of white slimes, for instance, I tried soloing the white slimes just 20 minutes ago, I managed to kill about 12 groups of white slimes
the problem is that youshould have to kill only one group to clear a nest if I understood well. Thus you had the problem on test server (and I was not alone to wrongly suppose it was normal :P )
baedamichi
Novice
Novice

Post by baedamichi »

Nard wrote: (and I was not alone to wrongly suppose it was normal :P )
Oh, I see. Thanks for the information, even if it's about a bug, this situation makes me smile. :D
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

baedamichi wrote:I just wonder why there would be a difference between the main and the test server...

The Blue Sages' Quest has been tested on the test server by me and many others, and both the probability of being blown up and the number of slime groups you had to kill to extinguish a nest (if I remember correctly about 3-5 or sth like that) were perfectly all right there...

Don't the main and the test server use exactly the same script for this quest? :?:

Anyway, I'm not a programmer, so I have to leave that to smarter minds...
Test server gets updated more often, with possible broken fixes.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
evadem
Novice
Novice

Post by evadem »

Like the new maps and the quest. So glad to see the rewards are so mage oriented. They need all the help you can provide them. They are obviously so under powered currently. :mrgreen: Has anyone considered changing the name of this game to "The Mage World"? Just a thought. :roll:
GonzoDark
Warrior
Warrior

Post by GonzoDark »

evadem wrote:Like the new maps and the quest. So glad to see the rewards are so mage oriented. They need all the help you can provide them. They are obviously so under powered currently. :mrgreen: Has anyone considered changing the name of this game to "The Mage World"? Just a thought. :roll:
I suggest that those who have the raging skill get more luck with the sword. 5-->15% depending on the level.

Another suggestion; Make the silk cloves dyeable.
IchigoBlack (86) a.k.a GonzoDark (80) || HolyManaClan

Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

GonzoDark wrote:Make the silk cloves dyeable.
The silk gloves are already dyed cotton gloves in fact. I'm currently working on a new icon and recolorable spritesheets for the shiny silk gloves.

Ali
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

Thanks for all the positive feedback about this quest! I paid a lot of thought into the storyline and dialogues, so I'm very happy to see that this is valued. :)

Regaring the slime issue, Frost gave a good summary of the situation, though I have to correct that the white slime's deaths have the same problem.
Frost wrote:Devs know there is a bug in the current slime-killing part of the quest.

The update several hours ago fixed a problem where the number-of-slimes-killed for a nest was reset when you walked over that spawn spot again. The chance of random death was reduced.
The remaining problem appears to be (pardon my layman's understanding) that blue slime deaths don't always register as "kills" when they should. It's not obvious why.*
We're working on figuring out what causes this problem.
cody wrote:I have just finished the quest. The trick was to move onto a trigger tile and then standing still. Kill the slimes while standing on that tile. If slimes have spawned to far away, then they can get allured with food dropped on the ground.
That is a very interesting though confusing observation. I did some testing locally, adding a mapannounce to the OnSlimeDeath label. It only gets executed sometimes (I have no idea why, it should happen everytime a slime is killed), but when standing still it seems to happen much less often, though I've also seen it happen when I just stood still.
Do you have an idea what's could be the cause of this behaviour?
baedamichi wrote:I just wonder why there would be a difference between the main and the test server...

The Blue Sages' Quest has been tested on the test server by me and many others, and both the probability of being blown up and the number of slime groups you had to kill to extinguish a nest (if I remember correctly about 3-5 or sth like that) were perfectly all right there...

Don't the main and the test server use exactly the same script for this quest? :?:
The code on the testserver gets changed rather often during the development process. I assume that the issue with the slimes was introduced when I did some changes on their scripts after your testing. I asked for more testing of that here:
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 23#p123523
Jenalya wrote: And I did some fixes based on review from o11c. This included some changes in the slime spawn scripts, so it'd be good if you could test them again.
I did some brief testing myself after that change. Though I didn't clear all the spawn points when doing that, but only did some control samples, which worked fine. I think that was a mistake. :?
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

Sorry for the double post, but since this is a complete different topic from my previous one, I figured it'd be less confusing to read in a seperate post. :)
evadem wrote:Like the new maps and the quest. So glad to see the rewards are so mage oriented. They need all the help you can provide them. They are obviously so under powered currently. :mrgreen: Has anyone considered changing the name of this game to "The Mage World"? Just a thought. :roll:
The Ice Gladius which is the reward for the slime subquest, is a warrior item.
The silk gloves are for sure useful for mages, but also for archers who wear weak armor to be able to heal.
The grimoire (together with the book pages) was the item that caused the idea of this whole quest to spring in my mind, so there wasn't a choice wether to choose it as reward or not. Also, the bonus on mana is (hopefully) a nice thing for mages, but eventually even more for healing archers, who usually have almost not points on intelligence and therefore have only very low mana.
Last edited by Jenalya on 01 May 2012, 22:19, edited 1 time in total.
GonzoDark
Warrior
Warrior

Post by GonzoDark »

cody wrote:
code11 wrote:i have been stuck on the last "nest" all day along with a few other players. I have killed about 900 Blue Slimes and no luck in clearing this nest. can someone explain why this is happening?
I have just finished the quest. The trick was to move onto a trigger tile and then standing still. Kill the slimes while standing on that tile. If slimes have spawned to far away, then they can get allured with food dropped on the ground.

That fixed it for me! Thanks a lot! (One try with this "trick" and then it worked)

// GonzoDark now with a awesome [Ice Gladius]
IchigoBlack (86) a.k.a GonzoDark (80) || HolyManaClan

argul
Novice
Novice

Post by argul »

Mana = Magic ?

so I'd rather remove the warrior and archer class right now :)
---
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

cody wrote:I have just finished the quest. The trick was to move onto a trigger tile and then standing still. Kill the slimes while standing on that tile. If slimes have spawned to far away, then they can get allured with food dropped on the ground.
GonzoDark and me succeeded a few trials with Cody's trick (less than 5) :D

:arrow: Now a new Challenge to add to this quest: find why :twisted:
reward: Satisfaction