Splash damage changes

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Splash damage changes

Post by Crush »

Problems found so far:

1) Griefing potential

Possible solutions:
  • Remove monsters from towns
  • Limit splash attacking of non-agressive monsters to players which interacted with the combat in some way (attacked the monster too or cast beneficial spells on attackers). Having agressive monsters ignore targets they can attack is implausible, in my opinion. When you are in an area with agressive monsters, you should always keep your guard up.
2) It discourages healing, because the healer has to keep distance

Possible solutions:
  • Reduce range penalty of healing so that the healer can stay out of the danger zone
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

There used to be two threads about the splash damage changes, one in Feedback and one in Content Development.

I merged them into one in Feedback.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Big Crunch
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Big Crunch »

Crush wrote:Problems found so far:

1) Griefing potential

Possible solutions:
  • Limit splash attacking of non-agressive monsters to players which interacted with the combat in some way (attacked the monster too or cast beneficial spells on attackers). Having agressive monsters ignore targets they can attack is implausible, in my opinion. When you are in an area with agressive monsters, you should always keep your guard up.
2) It discourages healing, because the healer has to keep distance

Possible solutions:
  • Reduce range penalty of healing so that the healer can stay out of the danger zone
just increasing the healing range wont help much. As it is now, it is impossible for an archer or mage to even walk through the graveyard if someone is fighting in the the narrower parts.

As i've said already, the most logical solution is to assign splash damage to monsters that use attacks other than purely physical. Skulls, mushrooms, fire and ice goblins, the light balls (which use a bash style attack, but as they are balls of light one can assume that they are using some kind of magic effect), ice elements, jacko (would be fun to make him even more powerful), etc. I'm sure i've missed some, but you get the idea. Then if you block off the 'freezer' area of the graveyard, you will force the skulls back into play there. Its a win/win. The graveyard gets more difficult, or at least back to the level it was intended, therefore splash attacks are more prevalent, yet more logically assigned.

BC
sexy red bearded GM
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

The only thing im concerned with big crunches comment is the ice elements, its difficult enough for archers to get to cindy without a warrior to help bring them there. Plus they also do a bash attack, wouldn't make sense for it to splash. But as i said i do agree with his comment about splash attack being adjusted and possible the damage amount being adjusted to something lower as well.

Regards,
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Big Crunch wrote:just increasing the healing range wont help much. As it is now, it is impossible for an archer or mage to even walk through the graveyard if someone is fighting in the the narrower parts.

As i've said already, the most logical solution is to assign splash damage to monsters that use attacks other than purely physical.
That might be logical, but not a solution to the problem, because the problem would still persist with those monsters which still have splash attacks.

But is this really a problem? Can't they wait until the warrior is out of the way?
  • NOT a game master

Eldrazi
Newly Registered User

Post by Eldrazi »

i just edited some illustration.
splash damage had unlimited chain reaction, this is bad.
do not splash damage at town
Big Crunch
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Big Crunch »

Crush wrote: That might be logical, but not a solution to the problem, because the problem would still persist with those monsters which still have splash attacks.

But is this really a problem? Can't they wait until the warrior is out of the way?
In theory but there is a bottle neck just as you approach the statue in the center, where if a solo warrior is there, nine times out of ten, they cannot dispatch the monsters fast enough to actually advance. Considering the monsters that are there are melee types, it would allow the mage or archer to heal the warrior and/or advance through.

The issue with the splash type monsters would persist, but in order to implement change for the better, some difficulties are acceptable. My concern is with EVERY monster dealing splash damage. A mage could time his movement to move through a single attacking splash damage monster, but not more unless somehow all the monsters attacks are synchronized.
sexy red bearded GM
Big Crunch
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Big Crunch »

Chicka-Maria wrote:The only thing im concerned with big crunches comment is the ice elements, its difficult enough for archers to get to cindy without a warrior to help bring them there. Plus they also do a bash attack, wouldn't make sense for it to splash. But as i said i do agree with his comment about splash attack being adjusted and possible the damage amount being adjusted to something lower as well.

Regards,
I'm assuming the damage from an ice element is actually Cold damage rather than bash damage, but whatever, you get the point. :P
sexy red bearded GM
ZdlN
Novice
Novice

Post by ZdlN »

Crush wrote:
It's as easyer to say as to do ... if the mage run away from the warrior he is a good target for the next monster...
So the mage so run away every time - from warrior and from monster - it is not good to regenerate mana ... Healing on the other hand is more needed because more damage the monsters make to the group...
"What's a philosopher? A man who opposes nature against law, reason against custom, his consciousness against public opinion, and its judgment against error."
Sébastien-Roch Nicolas de Chamfort (6 avril 1740-13 avril 1794)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge, because knowledge is limited"
Albert Einstein (14.03.1879-18.04.1955)

both translated by the player Nard
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

ZdlN wrote:It's as easyer to say as to do ... if the mage run away from the warrior he is a good target for the next monster...
So the mage so run away every time - from warrior and from monster -
That was the whole point of the introduction of splash damage: to make character positioning more tactically challenging. Parties now have to watch their formation to make sure that healers are shielded from monsters.
  • NOT a game master

ZdlN
Novice
Novice

Post by ZdlN »

Formation with one warrior? Or two?
I think splah constrain helping other players - cause nobody can leave position, not the warrior to help other lowlevel warrior, not a mage want heal an player aside the formation - and this is against one of the basments of tmw ~helping~.
"What's a philosopher? A man who opposes nature against law, reason against custom, his consciousness against public opinion, and its judgment against error."
Sébastien-Roch Nicolas de Chamfort (6 avril 1740-13 avril 1794)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge, because knowledge is limited"
Albert Einstein (14.03.1879-18.04.1955)

both translated by the player Nard
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

So far, I have tried several classic "min/max stat" builds with splash damage.

Raging warrior in graveyard: I needed mage healing more than ever, until I learned to stand away from other warriors. Basically, don't stack.

Tank warrior in graveyard: I took slightly more damage than usual, but the non-tanks around me were really sweating it. Betsanc helped, of course. As tank, I rather like splash damage.

Speed mage/healer in graveyard: Using lightning, I attacked from range with no problem. I had plenty of range to heal without being "involved" in the damage. I was fine at the crypt area with a few warriors and an archer. Better than usual healing opportunities. Overall, more challenging and better XP from healing.

Tanked mage in graveyard: No problem at all; I was already prepared to take some hits. Better healing opportunities, and other chars appreciated it.
Tanked mage at Cindy: I couldn't see any difference, maybe because people didn't stack much.
Tanked mage at Candor: This required a change in tactics, but then it seemed okay.

Mallet Eye "suicide" archer in graveyard: I had to remember to stay away from the warriors, but otherwise it wasn't much different. I can't heal in the middle of combat; warriors must run to me for healing.

Speed "suicide" archer in graveyard: I had to really keep moving to stay clear of the warrior-pile. I also couldn't effectively heal warriors. This was a huge change for my playing style, and by far the most difficult for me.
I assume combat would be much more difficult for a new player who doesn't have the same knowledge of TMW tactics.

Mages and archers with low defense really do get bottled up in parts of the graveyard, as others have noted. This, and avoiding stacks with other warriors, are the two largest changes to my personal style of play.

Please note that the above is merely my personal experience to add to the discussion. It is not intended to convince others.
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
mistergrey
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by mistergrey »

Reading through this topic, I've pretty much seen this:

- Some warriors feel that tanks are more screwed over by splash damage.
- Mages/Archers are often too weak (vitality wise) to survive narrow areas with many monsters.
- Healers get hugely shafted, though there is also much more opportunity to heal others.
- All monsters having splash damage is both illogical and makes them rather more difficult than before.
- Helping lower level players level up is Much harder when monsters can hit every player attacking them.

My thoughts:

- Tanks have more purpose than before, and are needed to help others survive often.
- With more teamwork, mages and archers can do well, plus they still have the damage advantage (nothing prevents them from using more vitality or armor, beside need for more damage).
- Healing range could be increased, but personally I think that is unnecessary, unless ALL monsters will keep splash damage (I hope not, lol).
- Big Crunch had the right idea: pick the monsters that have an attack that makes sense with splash damage, and perhaps a couple of extras so most big monster traffic areas have a splash mob or two for extra challenge.
- Helping new players is still possible, but the ways in which people do so probably need a change regardless of splash damage. Leveling a new player by attacking a wisp/specter/poltergeist once, and letting them kill it while you take the aggro is not a very challenging or involved way to help. If anything, it is tedious "tricks" like these that makes potential new players say "this game looks like a boring grindfest, I'm outta here!".

tl;dr - Splash damage on all monsters makes it harder for everyone, but if the effect can/will be limited to a few monsters, this should work out great.
Tiana wrote: I apologize if I gave anyone the impression that BC is the troll-king of the GM's. That title is rightfully held by mrgrey :P
<Mistakes> you are too difficult to troll

<Frost> Germans have Chess Boxing. English have Cheese Racing.
<Frost> I'm slightly terrified what the Russians consider violent sport.
<o11c> chatroulette

<Jaxad0127> YOu can't grab yourself.
<Jaxad0127> Elenore explicitly prevents it.
<Mistakes> speak for yourself
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

mistergrey wrote:- Tanks have more purpose than before, and are needed to help others survive often.
- With more teamwork, mages and archers can do well, plus they still have the damage advantage (nothing prevents them from using more vitality or armor, beside need for more damage).
- Healing range could be increased, but personally I think that is unnecessary, unless ALL monsters will keep splash damage (I hope not, lol).
- Helping new players is still possible, but the ways in which people do so probably need a change regardless of splash damage. Leveling a new player by attacking a wisp/specter/poltergeist once, and letting them kill it while you take the aggro is not a very challenging or involved way to help. If anything, it is tedious "tricks" like these that makes potential new players say "this game looks like a boring grindfest, I'm outta here!".

tl;dr - Splash damage on all monsters makes it harder for everyone, but if the effect can/will be limited to a few monsters, this should work out great.
I dont think tanks would have more purpose than before, Before tanks would take away monsters from other plays and tank at cindys and candors. Now they cant do that and theres no purpose of "tanking" for friends since they will be hit anyway lol. And helping others by letting them hit wisps might not be as challenging as going out and spending days/weeks on end to get to level 40. But its easier and less stressful for the players especially since its unbalanced clearly..Its nice how players engage with newbies by helping them level and helping them tanking with quests you cant do that now.

Regards,
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

To those asking for splash-damage to be made per-monster:
I implemented it this way because any other way would be difficult; this way was easy.
Crush wrote:Problems found so far:

1) Griefing potential

Possible solutions:
Will fix - I could disable it if the map has the "town" flag, or only enable it if the monster is aggressive. (Edit: this would have problems)
Edit: This is on the test server.
Crush wrote: 2) It discourages healing, because the healer has to keep distance

Possible solutions:
I've thought about this before - but a maxed healer can heal with a radius that is approximately Line of Sight.
So are you talking about a low level healer, an armored healer, or a mixed class healer?

Easy to implement the fix; hard to find the right numbers.
Eldrazi wrote:i just edited some illustration.
splash damage had unlimited chain reaction, this is bad.
No, it doesn't.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.