Splash damage changes

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Re: Splash damage changes

Post by o11c »

Big Crunch wrote:
o11c wrote:
Big Crunch wrote:Exp rates arent tweakable to the point of being competative. My warriors using 90 90 30 1 40 66 cannot match an archer or mage that is 10 levels below me without constantly using iron and con potions. If the archer then counters with iron and con potions, i'm again blown away.
I'm not talking about with current server code and server data.
I am, because that is all i have to work with.
Yes, but you're also talking about if other changes are made to server code/data.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

KeeKee wrote:This effectively eliminates all warriors from the game, in my mind.

It's already almost impossible for a warrior to survive and can not earn xp with archers and mages taking over all areas of the game. And, there is very little, if any, consideration of other players mobs. If an archer or mage comes into a fighting scene, they take it all away from those who started fighting in that area. :evil:
This is completely false, warriors are already subject to mob attacks when stacking, thus not much change. On the opposite archers or short range mages may be obliged to stay out of healing range :?
I am not hostile to some more risk when crossing a high mob density zone, but this implementation is quite a hard one.

I do like Big Crunch's vision of splash damage (and Chicka's one consequently). If it is not possible to implement directional splash now, a "cylindrical" one with damage proportional to distance^(-2) could be a good compromise ?
o11c wrote:
radiant wrote:Splashing seems nice, but an idea to build on it--could it apply to player->monster attacks too (even just with splash radius 0)?
That's technically feasible (with any radius). Is it worth considering what about PvP, and player versus players *and* mobs? (again, technically feasible)

But, if not applied to arrows it would make archer much less effective than a tanked warrior, who can afford to have multiple monsters bashing him.

Radiant point of view is nice to me. If mob can do it, players must be able to do it too. Now for mobs as for players, splash could depend on the kind of attack/weapon: a bashing, pole weapon, an axe or two handed sword are more likely do do this kind of damage.
What about blast arrows? or throwing multiple arrows (2 or 3) it would be nice new items (damage shared between targets, focus level 2?)
Let's extend it to (level 3?) mages: spells could extend to a zone around a target, a party: healing, betsanc, asorm, magic mines, fireball, enchanted weapons which increases speed and strength of short range weapons...
Anyway, the global energy spent into a blow or spell has to be divided by thenumber of targets.
Frost began to make a nice synthesis of our various opinions, maybe it would be the time for another one?

Now a small remark while we speak about sharing: why mage don't share their healing experience in parties?

Another one about balance: I is logic to say that Weight (not armor) should decrease agility. If this is the case, strength should increase it in some way too. The same applies to dexterity :/

Anyway, this is a Fantasy game, we are supposed to be the heroes, then we are supposed to win at the end :mrgreen:
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
radiant
Novice
Novice

Post by radiant »

What's really supposed to be thefactor that sets various roles apart? Maintenance level, return on investment, volatility...?
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Nard wrote:Big Crunch's vision of splash damage (and Chicka's one consequently). If it is not possible to implement directional splash now, a "cylindrical" one with damage proportional to distance^(-2) could be a good compromise ?

What about blast arrows? or throwing multiple arrows (2 or 3) it would be nice new items (damage shared between targets, focus level 2?)
Can do any (or all) of those. Would have to determine when to handle the damage penalty. Counting arrows is the most complicated version. Beware of drawing problems.
Nard wrote:Let's extend it to (level 3?) mages: spells could extend to a zone around a target, a party: healing, betsanc, asorm, magic mines, fireball, enchanted weapons which increases speed and strength of short range weapons...
Anyway, the global energy spent into a blow or spell has to be divided by thenumber of targets.
Magic is handled completely separately. It's possible to change that too, but I absolutely hate dealing with the magic code (as opposed to the C code, which I merely fear).
Fortunately, the magic code is script, not compiled, so anyone can play with it.
Nard wrote:Another one about balance: I is logic to say that Weight (not armor) should decrease agility. If this is the case, strength should increase it in some way too. The same applies to dexterity :/
Fair enough.
Nard wrote:Anyway, this is a Fantasy game, we are supposed to be the heroes, then we are supposed to win at the end :mrgreen:
I see your fantasy game, and raise a fantasy-er game.

Also, MMORPG is not a very well understood genre, as far as problems go. In particular, we have a huge variety in the amount of time people can afford to spend playing the game. (Did you see that thread where that newbie was complaining about spending a whole hour on some quest?)

That's one of the reasons I think tmwa-adventures will be beneficial (once it happens, of course).
radiant wrote:What's really supposed to be thefactor that sets various roles apart? Maintenance level, return on investment, volatility...?
What makes you think anything was planned?

It would probably be best to play each style on upstream eAthena. See how you handle the armor differences as a warrior, for one.

How good is manaplus eA support, or do you have to find a cracked RO client?
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Knight
Knight

Post by 4144 »

o11c wrote:How good is manaplus eA support, or do you have to find a cracked RO client?
Manaplus can connect to eathena, you can walk speak with npc etc, but for eathena need also client data, but it missing.
This mean you walk in empty maps where you can discover collisions and can see npc names.