Health Bars for enemy's and quest icons

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

sketcherskt
Newly Registered User

Health Bars for enemy's and quest icons

Post by sketcherskt »

I love how i can see how much health I have,but all the enemy's in the game i dont know weather im strong enough to fight them and so on

also I think it be helpful if NPC with quest and such could have symbols above there heads since its hard to find quest and remember who i am doing a quest for.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Re: Health Bars for enemy's and quest icons

Post by Nard »

This idea has been suggested several times under other topics. Ablu said he is working on it :)
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
Dark_Stang
Peon
Peon

Post by Dark_Stang »

Please keep an option to disable health bars, that's one of the things I really enjoy about this game. With all the other RPG's I've played I am given far too much information about an enemy. If he's poisoned, what his limb damage is, how much health he has left, etc. Knowing that I've landed several hits on an enemy and that I can take two more hits before I'm dead (unless they crit on me) but not knowing exactly how much health the enemy has left is a good change. This forces me to make a decision based only on what my character knows, rather than what I know. Just tell me if they "look hurt" or that "they're breathing heavily" or "they're bloodied" or "barely standing." This could easily be done with some little graphics magic.

For the record, I take the same stance when I'm playing DnD. It allows me to get more absorbed into a game and to take more chances rather than making calculations.
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

hi :)

If you download the manaplus client you can disable and enable the health bars, im not sure about the regular client though.

Regards,
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Note that manaplus only estimates the health by tracking damage taken. In particular, the server does not report:
  • how much the total HP is (it may vary by up to 30% I think, depending on the class)
  • whether the monster was damaged before appearing in your LoS.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Ablu
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Ablu »

Nard wrote:This idea has been suggested several times under other topics. Ablu said he is working on it :)
Well i was working on questlog for manaserv that should be extandable to support this npc stuff.
Doofus
Peon
Peon

Post by Doofus »

Sorry to reserect this.
The standard client (0.6.1) allows reporting of how much damage a monser has taken. However as mentioned w.r.t. Manaplus it only displays how much damage is taken while the monster is in your line of sight (I also haven't tested if it displays damage done by others). In this case if you attack a monster and then move far enough that it disapears from the screen/radar and then move back in and target it, it will display 0 damage. Maybe this feature should be removed until the server might also report a monsters health because at the moment it is mostly confusing; though once this is realised it still is useful and better than nothing.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Doofus wrote:until the server might also report a monsters health
I don't think that's going to happen.

Although adding a packet to the server is not terribly difficult (although I would do it slowly for the sake of good planning), getting the client updated is not so easy. This is the kind of feature that would cause a Feature Gap between users with the new client and users without.

Additionally, I have concerns about whether this would actually be harmful in certain circumstances. It would be difficult to only send the information sometimes, and in certain circumstances this information may cause the player to take risks that would not otherwise be safe.
This line of reasoning may be overridden by a reasonable consensus of the rest of the development team.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

Doofus wrote:Maybe this feature should be removed until the server might also report a monsters health because at the moment it is mostly confusing; though once this is realised it still is useful and better than nothing.
I find this feature extremely useful when fighting along side others. It lets me coordinate attacks against the same monster, and have some idea of when the monster is going to die.

If this feature confuses you, just press F9, go to the Interface tab, and un-check "Show damage."
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
Doofus
Peon
Peon

Post by Doofus »

I must say I also like it and reckon its not worth complicating the server further (always comes at the cost of performance which is pretty good of late); just noting it was a little confusing at first, but when realising its limitations I find it a very useful feature.
I do find that some do abuse it -- Archers that follow around noobs and deliver the killing shot and then nick the loot -- but what can you do. That's more an issue for elsewhere.
Try-zar
Peon
Peon

Post by Try-zar »

The game keeps track of who did the most damage to the monster when deciding who to give the item to. You can still get the item it drops because you did most of the damage even if somebody did the kill shot.

That said this game does lean heavily towards archers - especially those using magic.