proposal: drop Mac support due to difficulties

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Big Crunch
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: proposal: drop Mac support due to difficulties

Post by Big Crunch »

if i can get the version of snowleopard up and running in a vm then i will be happy to help test.
sexy red bearded GM
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Ablu wrote:
Socapex wrote:edit: And BTW I'm waiting for 0.7 before putting my heart into it. I want to support both TMWathena and manasource.
Hi.

0.7 is still a bit away i think. Though it should not be hard to adapt the stuff to 0.7.
In emergency you can always allow manaserv support via cmake option for 0.6.1 release as well.

Regards
Ablu
Also, (unless things have changed since I last checked) there's no guarantee that 0.7 will have proper manaserv support - that's what the 1.0 milestone is for.

As Frost says, my job is to make as many changes as possible (which inevitably includes breaking things). I have no great personal grudge against Mac OS X, but it is the platform that makes it hardest for me to do changes.

You know that saying "where there's a will, there's a way". I have the will to change TMW for the better. Does the Mac player community have the will to keep up?
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Socapex
Peon
Peon

Post by Socapex »

I hear you all. Personally, I just find that OS X is in such a bad state for gaming, it saddens me to think TMW wouldn't support it anymore. But if it makes your life too complicated, then I understand.
Big Crunch wrote:Besides, it would be unnecessary when the Mac player community would stand on its own and provide patches to ensure compatibility.
I agree and will try to fill the gap. But again, school is #1 (I may join our formula electric and beat all you Germains at Hockenheim MWAHAHA :P which means even less time). Manaserv or not, I will give a push at 0.7 to get a package out. There is already a package for 0.6.1 on the forums, and I'm not sure I can necessarily do better...

o11c: What problems are you running into? Anything specific?
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Socapex wrote:I hear you all. Personally, I just find that OS X is in such a bad state for gaming,
I don't think that's a coincidence.
Socapex wrote:o11c: What problems are you running into? Anything specific?
Just this: the package on the download page is always, and currently, old, and does not support certain features which make our life much easier.

I've asked before, and will ask again: what prevents the 0.6.* packages in the forum from being blessed? What bug is there in them that is not in the 0.5.0 package?
  • If it's okay, let's use them, and close this issue until it is revisited at the time of 0.7's release.
  • If it's not, the problem obviously remains.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Socapex
Peon
Peon

Post by Socapex »

I will test them and report. I'm using 10.8.1, but even if they don't work, you can still build for OS X easily. Will report this weekend.

Concerning gaming state, well the problem is openGL, which linux uses also... So unless you use Windows, there should be nothing wrong with supporting OS X & Linux. I don't want to start a fight, I loooove Linux and I also loooove OS X. Both do different things better, but both are similar in gaming state (considering Steam is coming to Linux... Go Valve!).