Monetizing TMW

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Kazenawa
Novice
Novice

Re: Monetizing TMW

Post by Kazenawa »

I simply think that if premium accounts are added, the game wouldn't be called "free" anymore...
I don't know a lot about this project, but adding paying content or bonuses is the complete opposite of the word "free" to my mind...
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

You should remember that paying to get the graphics from an artist, and paying to get the items from an irl-money store is totally different.
As far as I've read this thread the second point was just an example given by Dark_Stang. But about giving money to the project, this could help to grow and to help to pay, for examples, the DNS and the server.
I see nothing wrong about this.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

Reid wrote:You should remember that paying to get the graphics from an artist, and paying to get the items from an irl-money store is totally different.
As far as I've read this thread the second point was just an example given by Dark_Stang. But about giving money to the project, this could help to grow and to help to pay, for examples, the DNS and the server.
Yes but when the server needs something they did for example put up a donation bin where people donated hundreds of dollars. this shows you dont need to make a money system to buy things and to pay people. People who play the game appreciate the freeness of the game and theyre willing to donate if the server needs something (hardware for example).
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.
Kazenawa
Novice
Novice

Post by Kazenawa »

Chicka-Maria wrote:
Reid wrote:You should remember that paying to get the graphics from an artist, and paying to get the items from an irl-money store is totally different.
Yes but when the server needs something they did for example put up a donation bin where people donated hundreds of dollars. this shows you dont need to make a money system to buy things and to pay people. People who play the game appreciate the freeness of the game and theyre willing to donate if the server needs something (hardware for example).
I think the same. It's really different to donate than paying for something.
Personnally, i really prefer to donate and to have a completely accessible game, than to need to pay for extra content...
Also, I guess a project stays free when people gives donations, while it certainly doesn't stay if you need to pay for extra content.

Moreover, to my mind, the first one can show how people like the game, whereas the second one can work, but only for people who want to play the game entirely. It might be felt differently in different cultures, but that's how i feel it.

Of course, I agree the fact to make people pay when something is really needed, such as the given example of the server. But new content or graphics aren't really "vital".

Well, that's only my opinion, and i'm certainly not the most project-informed person :lol:
Dark_Stang
Peon
Peon

Post by Dark_Stang »

I am very happy to see this discussion at two pages already. But I'm a little surprised about why people are saying no, maybe there is some confusion from my first post.
Kazenawa wrote:I think the same. It's really different to donate than paying for something.
I don't really see the difference. I've probably spent more on video games in my life time than most people my age have spent on their cars. When I enjoy something I have no problem giving some money for it. Whether it's a donation or some cash for a subscription, I don't really see the difference. But other people (like you) do. Getting money from people by saying "please donate to my project" doesn't go that well. But saying "for just $1 a month you can keep this hungry server alive by feeding it electrons, and we'll increase your item drops for the month by 25% (ie: a 10% chance becomes a 12.5% chance) as a thank you."
Kazenawa wrote:Personnally, i really prefer to donate and to have a completely accessible game, than to need to pay for extra content...
I am very against extra content for money. Anything that a subscription buys I think a free player should be able to acquire as well. Making exclusive content and items for paying players ruins games, I don't want to see that to happen. Realistically I could see this as something as simple as being able to change your character name's text color, or as big as slightly increased item drop rates. Enough recognition to say "Thank you." but not enough to give a large advantage.
Reid wrote:In game money against irl money will change TMW into a free-to-play game, and this is bad. But you're totally wrong with paying for good quality graphics, even project like OpenGameArt are doing this afaik. And it doesn't stop volunteer to contribute graphics.
I saw several other people raise similar concerns. You have to tell me why this would be bad. Again, I'm not talking about any exclusive content here. What I am suggesting would allow non-paying players to acquire every item that paying players could acquire.
Does it still work? I just don't want to throw money into it if nothing happens to it.

To be completely clear.
1. I'm not saying make paying a requirement
2. I'm not saying give paying players any real advantages
3. I'm more interested in the discussion than the end result at this point (I know where the donate button is now, assuming it works)
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

Dark_Stang wrote:I am very happy to see this discussion at two pages already. But I'm a little surprised about why people are saying no, maybe there is some confusion from my first post.
Kazenawa wrote:I think the same. It's really different to donate than paying for something.
I don't really see the difference. I've probably spent more on video games in my life time than most people my age have spent on their cars. When I enjoy something I have no problem giving some money for it. Whether it's a donation or some cash for a subscription, I don't really see the difference. But other people (like you) do. Getting money from people by saying "please donate to my project" doesn't go that well. But saying "for just $1 a month you can keep this hungry server alive by feeding it electrons, and we'll increase your item drops for the month by 25% (ie: a 10% chance becomes a 12.5% chance) as a thank you
I don't doubt you paid money for video games, but the point of this rpg project is that its completely free...unlike the games you paid for. The "please donate to the project" worked well for the hardware as I said above people donated hundreds of dollars to the server knowing they don't get money from people already. Raising drops and such would again, give players more of an advantage than others which wasn't the goal of this project.. By keeping this project free people are willing to donate money for new hardware and such when the server needs it because it doesnt just help them it helps everyone continue to play a completelyfree game.

Im sure when the server needs something else another bin will be put out.

Also I dont think donations are a bad idea, but not in a way it gives advantages to other players (like the drop rates you suggested). If anything if the server needs something the donation bin can have a goal and when it reaches that goal for the certain thing needed Everybodycan have something like that equally.

Im not trying to come out hard on you, but im sure a lot of people enjoy the completely equal free feature of the game.

Regards,
Yubaba
ZdlN
Novice
Novice

Post by ZdlN »

In my modestly opinion the amount of money will be small, and the greates problem i think will be to handle and to spread the money. With the discussion who has done more for TMW ... the GM ingame how sit there much time but help players and be gamepolice etc., the developer who make graphics or the script, the moderator of the forum or others?

What is with more casual workers developing one item or one map?

I realy not would like to have this decision and not want to give it to a other - this is an realy strong realworld problem to handle real money, what concern everyone diverse.
"What's a philosopher? A man who opposes nature against law, reason against custom, his consciousness against public opinion, and its judgment against error."
Sébastien-Roch Nicolas de Chamfort (6 avril 1740-13 avril 1794)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge, because knowledge is limited"
Albert Einstein (14.03.1879-18.04.1955)

both translated by the player Nard
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

ZdlN wrote:the greates problem i think will be to handle and to spread the money. With the discussion who has done more for TMW
This problem could be solved by letting players donate to individual contributors instead of the whole team.

But that would favor those developers who do things with a high grade of exposure (like content developers) while discriminating against those who do backend development and internal organization which is just as important and time-consuming, but happens out of sight of the player community.

Donating directly to game masters would be right out, because that would be an open invitation for bribery.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Crush wrote:The TMW server admins could try to sabotage your business by banning people who use your client when they would want to.
Seems to be realistic, but they could also try to improve their game first, it might be good. :P

Crush wrote:But that's easier said than done, because when you are smart you can make it almost impossible for the server to tell the difference between your client and the official one.
Well, if you're smart enough to create a client from scratch, I guess you know how to do that too, indeed.

--Alige
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

FWIW, I'm considering creating a client from scratch some day, and I expect I will have to deliberately use bad design in certain parts to make it harder to turn into a bot client.

Unfortunately, I don't think that was the reasoning of the Mana developers...
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Kazenawa
Novice
Novice

Post by Kazenawa »

Chicka-Maria wrote: I don't doubt you paid money for video games, but the point of this rpg project is that its completely free...unlike the games you paid for. The "please donate to the project" worked well for the hardware as I said above people donated hundreds of dollars to the server knowing they don't get money from people already. Raising drops and such would again, give players more of an advantage than others which wasn't the goal of this project.. By keeping this project free people are willing to donate money for new hardware and such when the server needs it because it doesnt just help them it helps everyone continue to play a completelyfree game.

Im sure when the server needs something else another bin will be put out.

Also I dont think donations are a bad idea, but not in a way it gives advantages to other players (like the drop rates you suggested). If anything if the server needs something the donation bin can have a goal and when it reaches that goal for the certain thing needed Everybodycan have something like that equally.

Im not trying to come out hard on you, but im sure a lot of people enjoy the completely equal free feature of the game.

Regards,
Totally agree with you, i think i couldn't have expressed it better :lol:
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

?
Big Crunch
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Big Crunch »

Crush wrote:
ZdlN wrote:the greates problem i think will be to handle and to spread the money. With the discussion who has done more for TMW
This problem could be solved by letting players donate to individual contributors instead of the whole team.

But that would favor those developers who do things with a high grade of exposure (like content developers) while discriminating against those who do backend development and internal organization which is just as important and time-consuming, but happens out of sight of the player community.

Donating directly to game masters would be right out, because that would be an open invitation for bribery.
terrible idea. I'm totally for people giving me money
sexy red bearded GM
Try-zar
Peon
Peon

Post by Try-zar »

How about donation incentives? Many free web comics I read use this method to attract more donations by providing them with downloadable wallpapers, original art, a signed book or even cups and t-shirts.

For us it can be a unique hat similar to the GM or Developer cap. Something to show that this person gave to the project to help it grow. It doesn't have to be anything big - just something unique that will only be given to them. Everybody in this game is mad about hats ;)

This way we can keep the game totally free and up the donations a bit.
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

Try-zar wrote:How about donation incentives? Many free web comics I read use this method to attract more donations by providing them with downloadable wallpapers, original art, a signed book or even cups and t-shirts.

For us it can be a unique hat similar to the GM or Developer cap. Something to show that this person gave to the project to help it grow. It doesn't have to be anything big - just something unique that will only be given to them. Everybody in this game is mad about hats ;)

This way we can keep the game totally free and up the donations a bit.
To be honest i think this is a wonderful idea. Having tmw merchandise irl xD id love to have a mouboo head irl xD just fluffy and soft instead of fleshy :D

But we would also need somebody who can do things such as sew and ship out, it can get pretty expensive when your playing a game that goes global.
Yubaba