Monetizing TMW

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

tux9th
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Monetizing TMW

Post by tux9th »

Instead of DEV it should say some abrevation for Contributor. (CON isn't the best choice though :D)
Dark_Stang
Peon
Peon

Post by Dark_Stang »

If we're turning this into TMW 700 club, I better get a tote bag.
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

hmm...well there is a shirt printing store near my house somewhere. I wouldnt mind getting some shirts printed with the mana world logo on it if this idea is approved. Maybe for a test drive?
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Chicka-Maria wrote:hmm...well there is a shirt printing store near my house somewhere. I wouldnt mind getting some shirts printed with the mana world logo on it if this idea is approved. Maybe for a test drive?
When you do the order management, printing, shipping, payment processing and bookkeeping, you will have much more work with that than it would be worth.

But there are websites where you can just provide your designs and they do the rest: they offer it in their webshop, produce the merchandise, ship it and do the payment processing. A lot of webcomic authors use such services to make some money off of their brands. Unfortunately I couldn't find one quickly which isn't specialized on webcomics.

Speaking of brands: when we want to sell merchandise, we should register the trademark. But that's not free either.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

Crush wrote:
Chicka-Maria wrote:hmm...well there is a shirt printing store near my house somewhere. I wouldnt mind getting some shirts printed with the mana world logo on it if this idea is approved. Maybe for a test drive?
When you do the order management, printing, shipping, payment processing and bookkeeping, you will have much more work with that than it would be worth.

But there are websites where you can just provide your designs and they do the rest: they offer it in their webshop, produce the merchandise, ship it and do the payment processing. A lot of webcomic authors use such services to make some money off of their brands. Unfortunately I couldn't find one quickly which isn't specialized on webcomics.

Speaking of brands: when we want to sell merchandise, we should register the trademark. But that's not free either.
Ah i was thinking of this place cause they have a decent reputation and its about 10 minutes away. http://www.logomagik.com/index.asp

You pretty much just send them the art or logo you want on the shirt and the sizes and pick it up. But i see where your coming from when it consists of work.

Edit: online shipping and such you suggested would be nice and more convenient as well so it wouldn't be just one person dealing with it but at least 3 trusted people.
Yubaba
Try-zar
Peon
Peon

Post by Try-zar »

I originally meant it as an in-game item unique to people that donate ;)

But for a t-shirt or something, you can look at http://www.spreadshirt.com/ which is what SliTaz is using at the moment (https://slitaz.spreadshirt.net/)
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

Try-zar wrote:I originally meant it as an in-game item unique to people that donate ;)
then again its giving someone in game not everybody else can have. Would be better if it was something rather than an ingame item only people who pay can get.
Yubaba
Try-zar
Peon
Peon

Post by Try-zar »

It can be a completely useless item with zero stats. It may even be a special quest, event or just an announce saying their nickname and amount. It's just a way of saying thanks for donating. We just need to give people a small incentive and reward for donating.

For an RL item, we can give them something for every X amount donated.
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

Try-zar wrote:It can be a completely useless item.

Until the collectors want it and others :P then we will have to say "donate money to get it".
Yubaba
Try-zar
Peon
Peon

Post by Try-zar »

Chicka-Maria wrote:
Until the collectors want it and others :P then we will have to say "donate money to get it".
I see no downside to that ;)
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

I'm completely against real money for ingame benefits, be it items or more exp or whatever. Something like that would divide the player community in 'Premium Players' who pay money, and the others. I don't like that concept at all.
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

Try-zar wrote:
Chicka-Maria wrote:
I see no downside to that ;)
But many others do. It wouldn't be a completely free game in that case as said before.
Yubaba
Try-zar
Peon
Peon

Post by Try-zar »

Chicka-Maria: So you're saying creating a zero stats item to reward people nice enough to donate even a small amount shouldn't be implemented because some people might not like it?

We have insanely expensive (in-game) items that no new player will ever be able to afford. That's also unfair and people do complain about it. Yet we do still have those. So I'll say Hell Yes to creating donation incentives being "unfair". But it's something that, unlike the insanely expensive in-game items, somebody can get by giving as little as $1. Further more, I will never be able to do so because I do not have access to paypal. And you know what? I'm perfectly fine with rewarding those kind enough to keep our project going.

Jenalya: There is a distinct difference between commercializing a game (as in making paid registrations) and creating voluntary donations incentives by rewarding people for their kindness. I'm just suggesting the latter.
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

Try-zar wrote:Chicka-Maria: So you're saying creating a zero stats item to reward people nice enough to donate even a small amount shouldn't be implemented because some people might not like it?

We have insanely expensive (in-game) items that no new player will ever be able to afford. That's also unfair and people do complain about it. Yet we do still have those. So I'll say Hell Yes to creating donation incentives being "unfair". But it's something that, unlike the insanely expensive in-game items, somebody can get by giving as little as $1. Further more, I will never be able to do so because I do not have access to paypal. And you know what? I'm perfectly fine with rewarding those kind enough to keep our project going.

Jenalya: There is a distinct difference between commercializing a game (as in making paid registrations) and creating voluntary donations incentives by rewarding people for their kindness. I'm just suggesting the latter.
Im saying this game is supose to stay free, and content being given to another player (items) for giving money would ruin the reputation because they would be getting an item for paying money...

2nd of all the hats at the exotic trader are sold for a money sink to reduce the amount of money thats in the mana world. a lot of people were forced to buy these things to help the games economy. Also platyna hosts a trivia once in a while (rarely) and gives out those hats as well.

If we started selling ingame items and such to players it would not be a Completely free mmorpg which most people like about this game to begin with.

im sorry you don't understand why some people do not want this.

Jenalya wrote:I'm completely against real money for ingame benefits, be it items or more exp or whatever. Something like that would divide the player community in 'Premium Players' who pay money, and the others. I don't like that concept at all.
+1

Regards,
Yubaba
Try-zar
Peon
Peon

Post by Try-zar »

*sigh* I try make a helpful suggestion and I get made out to sound like I'm being an ass for doing so.

Donation incentives are just that: Incentives to help increase voluntary donations. It can be anything from in-game items, RL items, a mention on the main site or even just a Thank you Global Notice in-game. It can even be a mix of more than one of those. If I'm so terrible for suggesting some kind of gratitude for people giving a little money, then please delete my character because I must clearly be the devil.