Mallad's eye mini game and documentation

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Doofus
Peon
Peon

Mallad's eye mini game and documentation

Post by Doofus »

I tried to complete the mallad's eye quest (have a warrior build but went for it for the sake of completeness) but don't seem to get through and the documentation seems a bit thin for explaining all the requirements if not incorrect at times.
Firstly, on a minor note arrows are needed which isn't documentated.
Secondly, the option for walking diagonal is not given in game contrary to the wiki. I assume diagonal directions correspond to shooting stronger or weaker as well as the left/right.
Thirdly, for some cases the formulae don't quite match that of the wiki for the correct value - but it works as a good starting point.
Finaly, I always seem to hit the bullseye but am a hairs breadth off. Nothing in the wiki about this. Is there a minimum dexterity required? Mine's currently only 40 being a non archer build.
Will probably have to have a look at the source to figure out what is what but maybe someone knows the ins and outs already.
Thanks.
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Mallad's eye mini game and documentation

Post by Jenalya »

Doofus wrote:Finaly, I always seem to hit the bullseye but am a hairs breadth off. Nothing in the wiki about this. Is there a minimum dexterity required? Mine's currently only 40 being a non archer build.
Your chances are better the higher your dexterity and agility are:

https://github.com/themanaworld/tmwa-se ... n.txt#L432

Code: Select all

L_target_hit:
    if( rand(500) > (2*readparam(bDex) + readparam(bAgi)))
        goto L_target_nohit;
rand(500) gives a value within [0,499].
Doofus
Peon
Peon

Post by Doofus »

Ok thanks, thought that might be the case. Is it possible for the wiki to be updated to be a bit more indepth?
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

Doofus wrote: Is it possible for the wiki to be updated to be a bit more indepth?
Feel free. :) The wiki is a community effort, everyone is welcome to help there.

As a developer I don't write articles about the quests (though I'm sometimes asked to check them for correctness). I'd feel weird giving a walkthrough for quests I conceived to be a challenge for the players...
But if the NPC dialogue itself is misleading or confusing, I'm happy about specific feedback where this is the case and open to ideas of how it could be improved. :)
Try-zar
Peon
Peon

Post by Try-zar »

Although you wouldn't want to make a Guide Dang It kind of quest. Some of the quests are pretty hard without using the Wiki guide. That quest to get the candle hat? I did it three times without the guide. Then I tried it the fourth time after writing down the tables on the Wiki and I finished it with only using 6 red powders. The point is having the NPC explain the relationship of the torches would have helped.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

I will try to improve documentation according to your remarks. Now there are several ways to use the wiki.
As in every rpg you are supposed to find the solution of a quest by yourself. The wiki includes a spoiler which is here to prevent players from being stuck. There is also a reference about the required items for those players who do not like tou use a paper and a pencil or who do it several times. :wink:
In this particular case you are asking to follow an archery course. It is quite normal that you should have a (good) bow and arrows in your inventory. :) Developers try to make quests look somewhat as "reality". Skills and chance are elements of this "reality"

Anyway you are right, wiki should mention those details as it pretends to be exhaustive.

On the occasion, I'd like to remind to the readers that wiki (user part) is your thing and requires your help; Especially in translations at this moment :)

Nard
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
blackrazor
Warrior
Warrior

Post by blackrazor »

I have a thread on this forum, where I add what I feel might be corrections to the wiki. I am very shy about editing the wiki directly, so I maintain the thread instead. Also, my thread has the all caps *SPOILER* in the title, which is required (I believe) when requesting or providing detailed solutions to the in-game quests and secrets.

As such, I will provide the link to it, rather than listing the solution in your thread.

Mallard's Eye is Item #9 in the list I give here:

http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 59#p126059
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

blackrazor wrote:I am very shy about editing the wiki directly, so I maintain the thread instead.
Forum is always a good solution but don't be shy Please! Wiki need good contributors :) And starting with improving existing articles is the best way to begin to help and know the game better as well.
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.