Easter Island

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

SudoPlatypus
Novice
Novice

Easter Island

Post by SudoPlatypus »

I read a resent post that mentioned a map I have never seen: Easter Island. I figured out how to get there on my local server, "@warp 028-1". It would be great if this was opened to all the new players who did not even know about this game back in 2010. Please :?:
Attachments
Easter Island.png
Easter Island.png (189.61 KiB) Viewed 4490 times
The Mouboo was. The Mouboo is. The Mouboo ever shall be. Drop candies and rejoice.
Most leveled character: Qwerty Dragon is 99
knight
Novice
Novice

Re: Easter Island

Post by knight »

and what is your server IP?
knight
Novice
Novice

Post by knight »

and what is your server IP?
SudoPlatypus
Novice
Novice

Post by SudoPlatypus »

knight wrote:and what is your server IP?
Until reading this post I did not know this map existed
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... nd#p127448

By local, I meant not public, but just on my own computer.

The map I mean is available to some players on the main server. But if I understand, it is only for those who completed the Easter quest in 2010. So I would think it is not even accessible to a large percentage of players now, and my point in this post was to just add my voice to others, that it would be good to open it up for newcomers. And that it not just be for the few who completed the quest back then, or people only accessing it on other servers.
The Mouboo was. The Mouboo is. The Mouboo ever shall be. Drop candies and rejoice.
Most leveled character: Qwerty Dragon is 99
tux9th
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by tux9th »

knight wrote:and what is your server IP?
Test it on the testing server.
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Testing_Server
caliban.homeip.net port 6901

greets
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

Qwerty Dragon wrote:I read a resent post that mentioned a map I have never seen: Easter Island. I figured out how to get there on my local server, "@warp 028-1". It would be great if this was opened to all the new players who did not even know about this game back in 2010. Please :?:
Its on the testing server if you want to explore it and it may be used again for a future Easter event. This will allow newbies to be even more surprised with the event :)

Regards,
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Qwerty Dragon wrote:The map I mean is available to some players on the main server. But if I understand, it is only for those who completed the Easter quest in 2010. So I would think it is not even accessible to a large percentage of players now, and my point in this post was to just add my voice to others, that it would be good to open it up for newcomers. And that it not just be for the few who completed the quest back then, or people only accessing it on other servers.
You are perfectly right. and the maps are 028-1 a,d 028-3 (cave). The Easter quest was quite a nice one but, as a newcomer, I failed and got stuck on the island because I came to the island without the required items, gvae the wrong one to NPC and deleted my first char :(
The quest cannot be transposed that easily to be permanent. One key point is that it involved a human hostile player. The script is still in git repository,:
https://github.com/themanaworld/tmwa-se ... aster/2010
and you can find a spoiler at:
CRC Forum:Easter Quest Guide

If you have ideas on how to re-use this material to make a permanent (or temporary (halloween, ....) quest; I think they could be welcome.
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
blackrazor
Warrior
Warrior

Post by blackrazor »

Nard wrote: and you can find a spoiler at:
CRC Forum:Easter Quest Guide

If you have ideas on how to re-use this material to make a permanent (or temporary (halloween, ....) quest; I think they could be welcome.
Nard, thank-you very much for this link. At first, I thought it was just a map or two, but after reading more in depth, it seems that this was a nice sized quest with a lot of interesting content. It's too bad such a thing isn't made permanent or at least seasonal, as it seems a lot of work went into its creation, and this work is no longer able to be experienced / re-experienced by players on the main TMW server.

I'm not sure what technical hurdles might be in the way for a more permanent or seasonal implementation of this, so I cannot comment on that specifically. All I can say, is that it feels a loss to not have such interesting content readily available on the main TMW server.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

When I was still involved in content development (years ago) we tended to go more and more over-board with our seasonal events. This started to affect productivity on development of regular content. We started to invest overly-proportional effort into events which lasted for about a week and neglected work on updates which added gameplay value for years.

I hope that the current content development team doesn't make the same mistake. I know from my own experience that developing for events is fun, but take care that you either:
  • work smarter and not harder. It's amazing what you can do with some really minor content additions and some small but creative scripting. I still fondly remember the "collect milk and cookies for Santa" christmas event which was almost no work but added a whole different spirit to the game by having the whole community work for the benefit of everyone.
  • Make sure most of your work can be recycled for permanent upgrades. Jack-O, for example, was created by me as a one-shot monster for a Halloween event, but was later added as a permanent boss monster. The playboy bunny girl I made for an easter event now got a permanent job as a waitress.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Big Crunch
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Big Crunch »

Personally, while i love seasonal events, I would rather the team focus on pure game content rather than have tons of uberevents. Consistent playable content will get people to come and stay. The events are for us oldtimers that have done everything.
sexy red bearded GM
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

See, I'm in favor of *removing* old event scripts. Did you know that over 25% of the magic file consists of old event scripts (mostly Easter Island)? That's a lot of maintenance burden when it comes time to do changes, as I recently did for the magic file. As a result, such changes tend to simply not happen.

I know it would be unpopular to actually remove Easter Island. Fortunately, just keeping it is not as much a burden as keeping the associated scripts.
However, even that does cause people who find it to wonder "why can't we reactivate this" without understanding the associated burden.

Note: Although I am opinionated, I am not making any comments on the policy retaining client data, such as NPC graphics, since that's not my problem.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Crush wrote:I hope that the current content development team doesn't make the same mistake
I cannot let a developer answer, aPlayer has to do it!

I do regret that you are not more present in game, because you would have seen that your suggestions have been applied for at leats a year and a half. Seasonal events have been reduced to a reasonable size, while keeping fun and pretty nice items. Meanwhile Interesting permanent quests have been introduced on various stages of player progression: from level 1 to levels greater than 90 soon :D
The few I know about your past work make me regret that you develop little content now, but maybe you could change your mind.... :?:
I know a bit more about your work now and will try not to forget this post when updating wiki pages.
o11c wrote: I know it would be unpopular to actually remove Easter Island. Fortunately, just keeping it is not as much a burden as keeping the associated scripts.
I understand your opinion in a "code maintainer" point of view, but at least in this case, I think it is a good thing because the quest was pretty nice, and more when compared to Halloween 2010 and Christmas 2010 with the exception of the rewards (some where not really new though). Especially I liked the Halloween 2010 masks history, that I have to put somewhere on the wiki before they disappear. ( @Crush: Intermediate items of this quest and 2010 ones are all in game now). I do think that Easter 2010 quest could be used in game now, of course with some adaptation, and maybe not only to go back and forth to this Island. Why not spawn a few zombies overthere for example, while the quest would be used to get some magic level 3 teleport spell? The Finall boss fight could also be replaced by a cooperative cindy-like quest.

Nard
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
blackrazor
Warrior
Warrior

Post by blackrazor »

Crush wrote: [*]Make sure most of your work can be recycled for permanent upgrades.
I totally agree with this point and with what I believe Nard is saying as well. It's better to recycle all that content, hard work and creative originality into something that can be enjoyed by the whole TMW player-base for years to come, rather than to toss it (or parts of it) into the dustbin and have it fade into obscurity.

I also agree with scaled down holiday events (eg. milk and cookies for Santa) with most of the effort going into new regular content. But, if you already have in your hands a goliath of an event, the mother of all holiday events, a blast from the past, as it were, it just makes sense to put some effort into re-purposing that into something we all can continue to enjoy, going forward.

My grandfather used to have a saying about paying taxes, he said: "If you get a huge tax bill, be happy. It means you had a lot of income from which to tax, be thankful you're so rich." I think the same applies to code maintenance, or maintenance of any other part of the assets. While some effort should be made to introduce standards that minimize the maintenance required later, overall, we should be very happy, if that enlarged codebase reflects a richness in content that we can all enjoy. TMW is first and foremost a game afterall, and those that play it greatly appreciate a diversity and richness in content. The trick is in maximizing how much of this content gets used regularly, for the benefit of the entire community.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Nard wrote:I do regret that you are not more present in game, because you would have seen that your suggestions have been applied for at leats a year and a half. Seasonal events have been reduced to a reasonable size, while keeping fun and pretty nice items. Meanwhile Interesting permanent quests have been introduced on various stages of player progression: from level 1 to levels greater than 90 soon :D
The few I know about your past work make me regret that you develop little content now, but maybe you could change your mind.... :?:
I would love to, but unfortunately I don't have the time anymore. There was a time when I was literally running TMW, but back then I was unemployed and had nothing else to do. Now I have a full-time job as a software developer. The little free time I have has become quite precious to me. Especially considering that I am currently working on another quite ambitious software project in my spare time which is also an MMORPG (by the way: I am blogging about my progress on http://ontraindevelopment.blogspot.com)
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.