Lag, server crashes, and downtime on server, forums, wiki

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

blackrazor
Warrior
Warrior

Lag, server crashes, and downtime on server, forums, wiki

Post by blackrazor »

Hi TMW admin team :)

First, to be clear, this is not a complaint in any way. I understand that this is a free service, provided as is, without warranty of any kind, and I am grateful for it.

That being said, for the past week (or a bit more, certainly preceding storm Sandy, in any case), the server has experienced frequent lag spikes of between 3 and 30 seconds, and also complete server crashes about 1 to 2 times a day. The forum and wiki go down during these periods as well, so I guess it's the machine hosting TMW or its connection to the internet that may be the issue. These blackouts seem to affect everyone, so I know it's not on my end. Plus, I can connect to everything else on the net just fine during these periods, including sites in Poland.

I bring this up, just to let the developers know, and to touch base on this issue. I'm curious if it's just random, or if there is a known hardware, software, or connection issue regarding the server. I think the player database (TMW ascii flat-file) was recently cleaned from inactives, so I hope it's not that. Does anyone on the admin side of TMW (or people that talk to them regularly) have any idea what is happening regarding this?
Ablu
Manasource
Manasource

Re: Lag, server crashes, and downtime on server, forums, wik

Post by Ablu »

Server is in poland. So probably no Sandy issue ;)
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

Blackrazor, these are excellent questions. The server hosting TMW has, as you say, been slow or impossible to reach for periods of time. It seems to recover to normal, and then the problem happens again. You aren't the first person to wonder about this, and it's great to discuss them openly. I'll tell you what I know as a TMW admin.

The server itself seems okay. The computer has been running continually for more than 2 months. The game server processes don't crash or appear in any way impaired at any time. Performance on the server is perfectly fine. There are no software errors and no indication of a hardware problem. Logs report that other sites on the Internet were down during these times, which points to a network problem.

There's no indication of an attack against the game.

Developers, admins, and GMs are concerned too. We'll fix anything we can. Unfortunately, we can't fix external problems like Internet connectivity.
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
blackrazor
Warrior
Warrior

Post by blackrazor »

Frost, I really appreciate that you informed the community, to the best of your knowledge, about what is going on. As a small update, over the past 36 hours or so, the situation has deteriorated from "down occasionally / lag often" to "down mostly / lag almost always" and the game-play situation has gone from "moderately inconvenient" to "downright unplayable".

Again, to be clear, I'm not complaining. Just updating my concerns regarding the situation. Whatever is the source of the problem, whether directly in TMW admin's control or not, I hope it can at least be identified with some certainty, and hopefully corrected soon.

TMW is such a cool special place, and I feel we will overcome this and any obstacles, as a community.

EDIT: For the past hour or two, TMW server, forum, and wiki have been back to normal, (mostly) lag-free. I don't want to jinx it, but hopefully whatever was broken, has been fixed. :)
shygorgon
Novice
Novice

Post by shygorgon »

Been having trouble getting onto the server today. Says the host server is down... I am in east coast America... It might be from the hurricane???
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

shygorgon wrote:Been having trouble getting onto the server today. Says the host server is down... I am in east coast America... It might be from the hurricane???
The server is in Poland and:
Frost wrote:[...]The game server processes don't crash or appear in any way impaired at any time. Performance on the server is perfectly fine. There are no software errors and no indication of a hardware problem. Logs report that other sites on the Internet were down during these times, which points to a network problem.

There's no indication of an attack against the game.
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Hm, I guess it *is* possible that those of us having problems have our network routed *through* the hurricane...

I, at least, have been having connection difficulties and live in the western US.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

o11c wrote:Hm, I guess it *is* possible that those of us having problems have our network routed *through* the hurricane...
Highly unlikely. I am in Germany (which, as you should know, is right next to Poland and very far away from North America) and this morning I couldn't reach themanaworld.org either. I just did a traceroute and it didn't even leave Europe (Hamburg->Frankfurt->Berlin->Warshaw).

Dear Americans: just because that strong breeze right now does affects you a lot, doesn't mean that it also affects the rest of the world (at least not directly).
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.