[Forum ban] Thoutmes

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

[Forum ban] Thoutmes

Post by o11c »

We still don't have a policy for publicly reporting our forum actions against human offenders (so let's see what happens if this is not a discussion thread ...), but here's something in the interest of transparency:

Today I did a one-week ban against Thoutmes for his response to my warning about this now-hidden thread, which I parsed as utter nonsense. (I thought about just moving it to "Off Topic", but it seemed too lacking in a topic even for that)

Particularly:
  • Not understanding why his profile image, which says "kill yourself", is offensive.
  • Being argumentative instead of responding to my points, such as "how do I know that you are a human who actually plays this game?"
  • Twice questioning my authority.
The main reason I actually did the ban was because I didn't want to waste any more of my time dealing with someone like that. I feel I've already wasted too much.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Re: [Forum ban] Thoutmes

Post by Nard »

I read this topic before you hid it.
I know the player' who calls himself "Thoutmes" in game
I think your first Idea was the good one ("I thought about just moving it to "Off Topic") so that topic would not have been worth the thread that you started.
I would also unable to answer to "how do I know that you are a human who actually plays this game?" I would think it is a joke or a troll.
The avatar Thouthmes chose showed one thing: the person may not always feel very well in his real life shoes or have darker than black kind of humour (maybe both). Some contributors who are still here chose avatars, published images or texts here which can be seen as an offense by some others and have not been banned.

∕me really wishes that this thread becomes invisible and that the other one is quietly brought off topic to the importance it has really.
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

o11c wrote:The main reason I actually did the ban was because I didn't want to waste any more of my time dealing with someone like that. I feel I've already wasted too much.
Can't you just remove his avatar instead of banning him?
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

Yes he could have.
Ginaria
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Ginaria »

Hiya Olli :),

its not easy to say something about what happened, if i cannot access original thread. But i would like to say little bit too, because i know Thoutmes in-game and you talked with me a little bit too at past, when you running around at manaworld.

Normally Thoutmes is a friendly player, you can talk with in a normal way, he doesn't offend someone and he likes to help other players. He doesn't want any conflicts and he likes manaworld. I talked much with him and i had never problems with him. I talked with him today about his avatar picture, because i dislike it too, and i believe he understands me little bit, why its no black humor for me. And in my opinion it doesn't fit to him, but he promised to change it too. It doesn't needed much time for me to explain him my point of view, why i dislike it.

And you are spending your free time for developing, that's cool too. We were talking at manaworld too, but i haven't seen you long time there. Devs are always busy :D it would be nice if you would like to think about it too, what happened. Without knowing the original thread, i would say, this situation could be handled more easily without much effort. Like... if it was wrong topic move it to other topic. I don't know, if is possible to ban avatar picture.

Best solution would be to forget about what happened, probably you both had bad day. Thoutmes will change his picture. He gets his thread back. The ban should be canceled. And the discussion about it should be deleted. And you both shake hands virtually.

lovely greetings :)
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Reid wrote:
o11c wrote:The main reason I actually did the ban was because I didn't want to waste any more of my time dealing with someone like that. I feel I've already wasted too much.
Can't you just remove his avatar instead of banning him?
No, I don't have that permission.

However, I didn't actually ban him for the avatar; I banned him for his response to my warning.

--

And btw - I asked a very simple game-related question that any novice TMW player would be able to answer.

Because I *have* seen bots that post more coherently, and with such images. The idea is that they post a thread that hopefully won't get deleted on its own merit, and then later add the spam links in their signature.
Also, his forum thread had a broken title (containing some [ b ], etc), which spambots are usually too stupid to fix even if they know about "edit post" (which he obviously did, since he edited one of the posts in the thread)

I am now convinced that he's human (well, I have been since he responded aggravatedly). Based on the responses here, I'm open to unbanning him now instead of letting it expire, and moving the thread back to Off Topic, but I'll wait another day first.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Wise decision and thanks for explanation! :)

Now that things are more relaxed I feel in a mood joking about it:

I suggest we ban the words suicide, die ....from the game and replace it by explode, desintegrate, increase of entropy. thus punishment for dying in other threads should be replaced by "punishment for abuse of entropy".
Players who trespass the rule will be obliged to cut pink flowers a whole day long. During the following day, they'll have to cover the lying bodies with the petals they got the day before to avoid us to bear this unbearable sight of violence...
Also Jack Deth will have to change his name in Jack Birth...

posted just for fun
Nard
Okurwieniec
Peon
Peon

Post by Okurwieniec »

Well dont bother to waste your time ooo my great o11c you can delete whatever you wish too its your greatest power, indeed, besides banning someone after being inhuman like a machine. I invite you all to take tour to Reids inn end check guy hanging in one of rooms - that curiously not affect any person here, even those who are close to the suicide subject.

Of course, perhaps he was officially condemned to be hanged there, but i think, that american black humour, perhaps most gore of the planet is curiously accepted by everyone here no problem.

What about Halloween and all this dead bodies cult from America? How long i had to endure skeletons and dead bodies asking me for candies? I am fragile being and it gives me suicidal toughts, i have tryed to kill myself in the past (ooops sorry i did) - i cuted my throad with a knife almost with succes.
Why? Because of inhumanity of this world.

If you are so busy take a break man, no one will complain i suppose - get out, breath some air, go to the restaurant or pub with friends and observe humanity - that will help you find a contact with humans.

I can pass some time to re-learn my forgotten stuff and make a machine that will replace you when you are not here - i bet she will be much more kind and human, than you was with me.

Only - i have better, most urgent things to do.

Oh! Remove the cemetery from the game, some members of my family are dead and i cry every time i play on the cemetery and after i have suicidal thoughts end i will have to throw all knifes from here.

Remove weapons from game its violence and violence is nonsense.

Remove Halloween Event please i had to endure it in real but not here i hope...

My avatar in case you wonder is not some junkie, but Jesus, so i hope it fits for everyone this time. The phrase you cannot understand is written in Latin and its not an insult - PECCATA MUNDI - The Sins of the World.

The people like you 011c are killing the spirit of TMW, probably, because you have none or you are completely unaware of its existence, so how could you understand in first place, what i am talking about when saying "spirit"?

I know that in the past the people left TMW because of breaking balls admins like you and i think thats a pity. Only human part of your machine are us - players - and if we are no more - well, then you are playing with yourself, oooo great one, authority of wich i accept twice as hell yeah. Even more times - telle me how many times, i am unaware, perhaps there is a rule for that.

o right if i have more thoughts ill put them there; I hope thats a right place :mrgreen:

and this is my original account i managed to guess e-mail haha so i got it back until deleted or banned again :mrgreen:

ah one more thing: almost every image i try to attach is invalid i guess size restriction? i try to attach jpg :shock:
Attachments
Mortimer.jpg
Mortimer.jpg (90.97 KiB) Viewed 3239 times