Requested Client features

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Nard
Knight
Knight

Requested Client features

Post by Nard »

During the recent developers-players meeting several questions concerning the client(s) arose. As there is no Forum about them I open this thread to allow some feedback to be published about them. I dont intend to initiate any flame war here, If it happened this thread would be closed and we would be back to the actual point which is not satisfying in my opinion.
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Re: Requested Client features

Post by Nard »

One of the nice features of manaplus is that it has a "local" folder which allows you to "customize" your client very easily: You can also test any kind of outfit, haircut... you just have to put in local folder the replacement graphics at the same place it should have in the Client data that is shown on the git repository. or on the one you could have cloned on your hd.
This feature is very useful when you start with graphics and don't understand that much how git works.

I think it should be integrated in mana client along with the debug windows of manaplus.

The same approach would be nice in both Mana and Manaplus about music: replace in the "local" folder original music by the one you prefer. the problem is that, like replacement graphics , the files should have to ne named after the original ones.
A workaround could be that all music files are named after the map they are attached to i.e.: 001-1.ogg 001-3.ogg and so on and that the titles and credits are referenced elsewhere in an XML file for example, or simply on wiki (where they should be referenced anyway, but i have little information about the tunes :/). If I remember well iPods work this way.
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
Freeyorp101
Archivist Prime
Archivist Prime

Post by Freeyorp101 »

You can use a local customdata folder in mana as well.

What does the debug window do in manaplus?

---Freeyorp
(09:58:17) < tux9th> Freeyorp: your sig on the forums is kind of outdated
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Freeyorp101 wrote:You can use a local customdata folder in mana as well.

What does the debug window do in manaplus?

---Freeyorp
local customdata : Then this feature should be documented.
debug window do in manaplus: It contains at least 3 times more information than the mana one
tux9th
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by tux9th »

this feature is documented
try this

Code: Select all

mana --server localhost --port 6901 -u -d ~/tmw-ea/eathena-data/client-data
whereas the path "~/tmw-ea/eathena-data/client-data" is the path to your custom client-data
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

That's not what I meant, tux9th : no need to specify a path to a specific user data folder, (which has to be complete, just drop the file ( a sprite for example) in the folder ~/.local/share/mana/updates/updates.themanaworld.org/local/graphics/sprites/ and you're done, the "local" sprite will substitute to the regular (updates) one. No need to have another client data set.
Capture du 2012-12-07.jpg
Capture du 2012-12-07.jpg (102.34 KiB) Viewed 3471 times
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I created the customdata feature years ago. I decided to make it use zip archives so that people can distribute them as mods. But I agree that it would also be a nice feature when the customdata directory would also accept uncompressed files.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

I did not know this feature in mana. I do not regret the thread, at least ot points out the necessity of a better documentation. Maybe it will help to make mana better too.
Will the customdata work with music too?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

It works with anything which can be distributed as updates (it uses the same virtual filesystem).

But to have a different music on a specific map, you would also need a modified version of the map file.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Crush wrote:It works with anything which can be distributed as updates (it uses the same virtual filesystem).

But to have a different music on a specific map, you would also need a modified version of the map file.
or rename with the name wich is refered to by the map file as for the items; ok. this is why I suggest to rename the music files a standard way and put the titles and other credits somewhere else, such as a XML.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Are symlinks enabled in the PhysFS? I recall there being a security-related option that disabled symlinks in the *real* filesystem...

If so, we could change the map files to all specify their music as 001-1.ogg and in default client-data ship symlinks to the real music. This might cause problems running unzipped, though.

This is assuming PhysFS's zip reader support symlinks (or the 7z one does, which we really *should* be using - it's been supported by PhysFS since forever by now)
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Do all our target platforms support symlinks? I remember symlinks to be quite shaky on NTFS, especially on some older versions of Windows.
  • NOT a game master

o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Crush wrote:Do all our target platforms support symlinks? I remember symlinks to be quite shaky on NTFS, especially on some older versions of Windows.
It's not (theoretically) necessary for the underlying platform to support symlinks, in order for PhysFS to support them in zip or 7z files.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.