suggestion for GM polling in-game

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

suggestion for GM polling in-game

Post by Reid »

Mod edit: split from http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 28#p129328
Kazenawa wrote:I wasn't here when serious GM canditature has been made, but as i've read on forums, it seems that really more people voted. Now it seems there are really less players, and even less which vote. It think tux9th's number of votes should be considered as enough too, and that his nomination should go to the next step.

Regards,
Kazenawa
TMW have an average of 65players online, when "serious GM canditature" has been made, the average of player was of 90players, so the difference is not that big. :)
An other problem is that the forum frequentation reduced compared than this other time... And that now not every new player have the 20 requested posts for voting.

Maybe it's time to consider a GM election in-game?
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
Kazenawa
Novice
Novice

Re: tux9th

Post by Kazenawa »

Reid wrote:TMW have an average of 65players online, when "serious GM canditature" has been made, the average of player was of 90players, so the difference is not that big. :)
An other problem is that the forum frequentation reduced compared than this other time... And that now not every new player have the 20 requested posts for voting.
60 persons are supposed to vote and, considering people aware of their right to vote, we need more than 65 players. With these numbers, a difference of 25 seems rather high to me. In addition, as you said, i doubt that more than the half or three quarters of the active players online frequents the forum, that's why i think that the number of required votes should be decreased.
Reid wrote:Maybe it's time to consider a GM election in-game?
That would be a nice idea yes. I think players would react really quicker.

Though, i think it would need a really well made coordination.
First of all, you would have to know all the chars that corresponds to all the players, with their potential other account(s).
Then, as some kind of "justification" is needed, you'll have to be able to handle them all, and they'll probably arrive in mass. That's surely doable if you warn that only private messages will be taken in consideration.
Also, you would have to fix an enough long duration to allow unregular players to vote too. But a long duration mean that you'll have to take care if new players or new accounts don't belong to an already existing player.

But i approve this idea. I might be feasible with a great coordination only, or it will be distorted and nugatory.
I hope that some desicion-making people will consider your idea Reid :)
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

Kazenawa wrote:Though, i think it would need a really well made coordination.
First of all, you would have to know all the chars that corresponds to all the players, with their potential other account(s).
Then, as some kind of "justification" is needed, you'll have to be able to handle them all, and they'll probably arrive in mass. That's surely doable if you warn that only private messages will be taken in consideration.
Also, you would have to fix an enough long duration to allow unregular players to vote too. But a long duration mean that you'll have to take care if new players or new accounts don't belong to an already existing player.

But i approve this idea. I might be feasible with a great coordination only, or it will be distorted and nugatory.
I hope that some desicion-making people will consider your idea Reid :)
Why? Just do a script which handle it as a event's quest, only player with level higher from 50 can vote, and you need to do a short quest or something like this to be able to vote.
GM election could be made with some roleplay, it won't hurt. :P

Maybe this belong to an other forum topic, it's indirectly related to tux9's election.
-- Ford Prefect
mistergrey
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by mistergrey »

This would not work out, I'm afraid. A quest would be fun... but the NPC would need to be able to see a player's IP, and then not allow anyone else on that IP to do said quest, or else someone with 20 accounts would just spam vote for someone.
Tiana wrote: I apologize if I gave anyone the impression that BC is the troll-king of the GM's. That title is rightfully held by mrgrey :P
<Mistakes> you are too difficult to troll

<Frost> Germans have Chess Boxing. English have Cheese Racing.
<Frost> I'm slightly terrified what the Russians consider violent sport.
<o11c> chatroulette

<Jaxad0127> YOu can't grab yourself.
<Jaxad0127> Elenore explicitly prevents it.
<Mistakes> speak for yourself
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Re: suggestion for GM polling in-game

Post by o11c »

and even IP-checking, which could be implemented in theory, is not enough to prevent problems.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Kazenawa
Novice
Novice

Post by Kazenawa »

Reid wrote:Just do a script which handle it as a event's quest, only player with level higher from 50 can vote, and you need to do a short quest or something like this to be able to vote.
I haven't tried it but i'm sure that someone who has 2 different accounts is able, alone, to reach level 50 in only 3 or 4 hours... So, somebody who would really want to impact the poll's result would be able to do it.
Also, changing your IP is easy, and it admins have to take care of past and new IP, i don't know which kind of work it is, but i'm sure that's kinda long and painful...
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

I just adopted a pregnant Female dog, wolf, fox or otter [female dog]. Once she gives birth next Tuesday, each of the 19 puppies will have his own TMW account. I'm giving them some of my characters, you see.

Since we share an IP address, it might look like I'm just voting 20 times, but really I'm not. Also, my brothers and sisters and all my cousins will be visiting soon. "Pure blind coincidence," as CPO Pertwee would say.

Don't worry; all the characters are level 60+ and most have been around for more than a year. It's perfectly legitimate.
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

Frost wrote:I just adopted a pregnant ***** [female dog]. Once she gives birth next Tuesday, each of the 19 puppies will have his own TMW account. I'm giving them some of my characters, you see.

Since we share an IP address, it might look like I'm just voting 20 times, but really I'm not. Also, my brothers and sisters and all my cousins will be visiting soon. "Pure blind coincidence," as CPO Pertwee would say.

Don't worry; all the characters are level 60+ and most have been around for more than a year. It's perfectly legitimate.
That problem can also happen on the forum, if the GHP/admin/whatever find that two same IP voted on the same poll, the poll can be closed. (MrGrey experienced this afaik)

And what I said was only an idea of how to do it in-game, of course it need some more brainstorming... ;D
-- Ford Prefect
Kazenawa
Novice
Novice

Post by Kazenawa »

Frost wrote:Since we share an IP address, it might look like I'm just voting 20 times, but really I'm not. Also, my brothers and sisters and all my cousins will be visiting soon. "Pure blind coincidence," as CPO Pertwee would say.
;
I hadn't thought to that yes... This way, that's legitimate ok, but how would you recognize players who have many accounts (one told me he has more than 10) ? This way they also play with the same IP, but only one players would be able to vote 10 times or more...
Reid wrote:That problem can also happen on the forum, if the GHP/admin/whatever find that two same IP voted on the same poll, the poll can be closed. (MrGrey experienced this afaik)
Hum yes actually, i hadn't thought to that too. Now i don't see any problem for adding an on-game vote since it changes nothing from forum polls.
Reid wrote:And what I said was only an idea of how to do it in-game, of course it need some more brainstorming... ;D
I like, even love the idea, i was just thinking about how you could implement it carefully. But i hadn't thought that it's actually the same problem with forum polls :lol:
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Once we get unified forum/game/wiki login, this might be feasible, but I can't even make a list of all the things that need to be done before that.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.