serious proposal to make ManaPlus the only official client

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Re: serious proposal to make ManaPlus the only official clie

Post by meway »

Ah good to know 4144
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

cody wrote:Just to state the obvious: Those repositories brought almost all of us here.
That's true for many of us. I am sure that 4144 is aware of it and has an eye,and an ear (at least) on the problem :)
By switching to the evol client, new players will go to evol. Which is actually the better choice for them, since evol's website isn't dead and it has a much nicer starting place
If the evol server will be set to a better place than it is now, TMW, TMW-test are in the Start-up screen. Thus even in the actual situation it is likely that there is no significant change.
Why does there have to be only one official client? Why not none?
Having an official client means that the client features are used as reference, thus that any other client may have to include them if it pretends to be compatible with game. It means too that server developers, content developers and client ones have tight relations to ensure consistency. But it also means that all client's features are guaranteed to be inside the rules. A client which has extra features could be considered as "illegal".

Note to those who have difficulties to read wikis: Just as in mana, type F1 key, or type /help in chat line to bring help menu which makes you able to play quite easily. If you really need some pdf; go to http://manaplus.evolonline.org/documentation, all major OS allow you to print it as pdf file. Also, there is no need to use advanced features if you don't want to. Default configuration makes you play as you would do in mana.
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Yes, Manaplus support following. But:
Platyna wrote:There is no rule forbidding following other players. There is a rule preventing to annoy players and to use automation to gain advantage over other players which is unfair. If a GM suspects botting, s/he is supposed to execute a standard ...
If I understand it well, this means that auto-follow (and I think automation features such as crazy moves) is not forbidden as long as it is not used to gain more experience and items that you could do alone, and to annoy other players.
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi everyone,

I thought, even if I'm now just a ghost for many people, that I would open my virtual mouth, for once.

I do myself support the switch to using ManaPlus as an official client, as it is something obvious. That client is faster, has much more refined features, and only lacks a few screw-driving here and there to make it perfect for both normal and hard-core players. The only thing I'll regret is the movement system I've put much blood into ;) but that's just a personal thing.
4144 has been, and for years, putting the equivalent effort of 5 active developers daily on it, so it's no surprise, and that's why he's got all my respect, whatever other people think about it.

That said, I do hope everyone will agree to follow Jenalya's example and start a smooth transition into using ManaPlus, along with some constructive feed-back from the community.

Regards,
o11c wrote:Recent discussions have made it quite clear that the people working on Mana - currently our official client - do not care at all about support for the tmwa server. Instead, they care about their eternally "almost done" ManaServ.
@o11c:
Isn't the "o11c eAthena server port to c++ with new features" "eternally almost done" as well, btw? Stop messing everybody about the mana devs, this is just pitiful and makes people go away, including myself.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Hello Bertram and happy new year.
Bertram wrote:I thought, even if I'm now just a ghost for many people, that I would open my virtual mouth, for once.
That's a pity that we don't hear your voice more, even if "virtual" as I always found your advice inreresting, balanced and respectful to those who have different opinion than yours.
I personnally do think that mana client, mana source, TMW, and at last many of TMW forks suffered from the multiple splits that such a small project cannot afford. Mana source has been cut from it's main source of fresh "meat" and feedback: players. This is, in my opinion due to the lack of respect that occured in many occasions here on forum and, I suppose on IRC too. But this is another topic. I just wish, because this project (or family of projects) is able to draw lessons from the past and will not repeat the same errors.
[...]people go away, including myself
Enough wise persons have left. Please stay.
unknown author wrote:You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
You earned it.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Bertram wrote:
o11c wrote:Recent discussions have made it quite clear that the people working on Mana - currently our official client - do not care at all about support for the tmwa server. Instead, they care about their eternally "almost done" ManaServ.
@o11c:
Isn't the "o11c eAthena server port to c++ with new features" "eternally almost done" as well, btw? Stop messing everybody about the mana devs, this is just pitiful and makes people go away, including myself.
I'm making progress. Slow, since I'm the only one, but I have fixed a number of bugs and/or limitations.

(The server *is* already running the C++ version btw)
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Speiros02
Novice
Novice

Post by Speiros02 »

o11c wrote:
Bertram wrote:
@o11c:
I'm making progress. Slow, since I'm the only one, but I have fixed a number of bugs and/or limitations.

Yep, and your hard work is appreciated by all of us manaworld users. I speak for myself and for Aeli, and I'm sure many others agree that all people working on this deserve a big thanks.

A name is to be chosen rather than abundant riches...Solomon's words (Pr.22:1)

[url=http://speirosmusic.tumblr.com]Speiros' music page[/url]

A.K.A "Speiros"...(not being smart...this name is speiros)

Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi again,
o11c wrote:I'm making progress. Slow, since I'm the only one, but I have fixed a number of bugs and/or limitations.
Good to hear. And the mana dev team, roughly speaking, has participated to a challenge the past summer using manaserv and a modified client.
It seems to me both projects are in use finally. One point in each team. Can we stop this silly war and start at least neutral again for the best and the community?
Nard wrote:Hello Bertram and happy new year.
Hi :) and a Happy New Year to you and your closings. :)
Nard wrote:That's a pity that we don't hear your voice more, even if "virtual" as I always found your advice inreresting, balanced and respectful to those who have different opinion than yours.
I personnally do think that mana client, mana source, TMW, and at last many of TMW forks suffered from the multiple splits that such a small project cannot afford. Mana source has been cut from it's main source of fresh "meat" and feedback: players. This is, in my opinion due to the lack of respect that occured in many occasions here on forum and, I suppose on IRC too. But this is another topic. I just wish, because this project (or family of projects) is able to draw lessons from the past and will not repeat the same errors.
Thanks for your support, Nard. I do appreciate it. You're right. Let's not repeat the elitist mistake of refusing good work when we see some. ManaPlus is defacto the client to use, with some little fixes. We should all work together using this for the players.
I'm even sure o11c could retake or even improve certain evolserver features to the tA-server, and even better, look at making a transition to a common server with new features, whatever it is.

Best regards,
Ablu
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Ablu »

Bertram wrote: I'm even sure o11c could retake or even improve certain evolserver features to the tA-server, and even better, look at making a transition to a common server with new features, whatever it is.
The evol server code is currently not published (the public git is outdated a lot). So I am not sure how working together works nicely there. But of course Bertram is right about working together.

Regards
Ablu
Ablu
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Ablu »

When manaplus becomes official client manaplus should create at least a package for Debian/Ubuntu and Fedora. Then the tmw package inside of those repository can be changed to depend on manaplus instead of mana (which also makes all users using that package autoupdating when updating their system). Otherwise this tmw packages should maybe get removed from the official distribution repositories and moved into the non official repositories of manaplus and users should add those repositories to their system. It would also nice to know for how long the mana client will still be supported (so for how long we need to keep the packages inside of the official repositories tmw compatible)

Regards
Ablu
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

In the short term (which probably means at least 6 months), the problem I have with the evol server is that it's more of the same "little hacks to solve an immediate problem instead of making it more maintainable".

In the long term, rebasing the evol changes onto future TMWA is feasible. This would go faster if 4144 did it instead of waiting for me (it's not a priority for me - although a few things like Who's Online and Quest Log I'll be sure to implement with the same network protocol), but TMWA isn't a stable rebase target yet.

--

With this post I declare this thread concluded ... I'll write a news post sometime this week (if I don't, flood my PM box) ... I could leave this thread open for wider players, or there could be a new thread ... Hm, I'll probably lock this and wait for a player to post a feedback thread (feel free to disagree).

I'll also make a new thread about branding.
Ablu
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Ablu »

How long will the mana client be supported?
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Ablu wrote:How long will the mana client be supported?
Let's say July 1, 2013 officially, though it will likely still function somewhat after that.
argul
Novice
Novice

Post by argul »

I'd rather put it to end of 10/2013, synced to the next ubuntu release, so
manaplus has a chance to get in the repos of Ubuntu as we have a large player base
using it.
---
straelyn
Novice
Novice

Post by straelyn »

I sure hope gentoo gets a manaplus package into portage by then; of course I guess I could always compile my own (my sys is actually gentoo hardened).