Will the carts ever get some individuality?

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

eiseras
Newly Registered User

Will the carts ever get some individuality?

Post by eiseras »

This probably sounds silly compared to the other topics, and I'm just wondering if there is a possibility this will be done in the future or if anyone is thinking about doing this in the future.

Will the images of the carts ever be different from each other besides size and location? Will the counter of the cart, or kiosk, display what the NPC is selling? For example, Ara's cart having cakes on it (image below).

-- The bakery cart in North Tulimshar

Sorry if anyone has asked this recently. And if there is any confusion about the image, I put the cakes there.
kook
Novice
Novice

Re: Will the carts ever get some individuality?

Post by kook »

nice idea. some misguided links to get you started :twisted: :
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... evelopment
https://github.com/themanaworld/tmwa-cl ... hics/tiles
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... channel.3F
stop by under the hurnscald's tree for support.

i'm sure somebody not kook will have something wiser to say 8)
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

That's a good idea. It's a similiar concept as with the dyer in Hurnscald, who has some dyes and dyed clothes behind him.
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 055#p98055

I think having items in the carts could help a lot to make Tulimshar more interesting to explore.
Would you like to work on creating a tileset which contains several different items that can be placed on the carts?

The links kook posted are good places to start. Additionally it might be a good idea to have a look at how mapping works when developing tilesets.
Here you can find the program we use for editing tmw maps: http://www.mapeditor.org/
And these are our wiki pages about mapping: http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Map_development http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Mapping_Tutorial
eiseras
Newly Registered User

Post by eiseras »

kook wrote: i'm sure somebody not kook will have something wiser to say 8)
Those links a really helpful. And thanks for letting me know about by the tree in Hurnscald :D
Jenalya wrote: I think having items in the carts could help a lot to make Tulimshar more interesting to explore.
Yeah, and it would definitely make it a bit easier for newer players, I think, to sort of vary the landscape.
Jenalya wrote: Would you like to work on creating a tileset which contains several different items that can be placed on the carts?
I would. Although my experience in pixel art (or traditional art) doesn't go too far. (The tutorials you linked to definitely help.) To clarify, I would make the item and then tell someone the coordinates that it should be placed? (I didn't see anything talk about that on the main page about mapping.)

Also, do you think items should be re-sized (if they look better that way) when put on carts? Like in the image in my first post, if I made the cakes a bit smaller before they went on the cart, would that be better?

Edit: Along with making the image and deciding the coordinates, I'd have to make an xml file about it? I don't know much about xml (although I'm familiar with some other markup languages) but I think there was something on the wiki about it.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

eiseras wrote:
Jenalya wrote: Would you like to work on creating a tileset which contains several different items that can be placed on the carts?
I would. Although my experience in pixel art (or traditional art) doesn't go too far. (The tutorials you linked to definitely help.) To clarify, I would make the item and then tell someone the coordinates that it should be placed? (I didn't see anything talk about that on the main page about mapping.)

Also, do you think items should be re-sized (if they look better that way) when put on carts? Like in the image in my first post, if I made the cakes a bit smaller before they went on the cart, would that be better?

Edit: Along with making the image and deciding the coordinates, I'd have to make an xml file about it? I don't know much about xml (although I'm familiar with some other markup languages) but I think there was something on the wiki about it.
Only sprites (NPCs, mobs, players, items) require creating an xml file. A tileset is just added to a map in tiled. Though, if you create a new tileset you do need to export the tileset, which is technically creating an xml file.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
kook
Novice
Novice

Post by kook »

Somebody on irc perhaps in #tmw-art will probably answer those and all the other questions you will have. Just remember to hang around long enough and dont give up when they tell you to pack your cakes and GTFO :lol:
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

eiseras wrote:Also, do you think items should be re-sized (if they look better that way) when put on carts? Like in the image in my first post, if I made the cakes a bit smaller before they went on the cart, would that be better?
Inventory icons are not to scale. Automatically rescaling pixel art with a graphic editor often leads to bad results which don't fit together with other graphics which were not scaled, so it is usually better when they are redrawn. Some inventory icons also do not have the perspective the map tiles are in. In that case they have to be redrawn.

By the way: Who says that those wares which have a use for the players are the only items which are sold at the carts? Feel free to be creative and draw whatever one could expect at a bazaar.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

eiseras wrote:To clarify, I would make the item and then tell someone the coordinates that it should be placed? (I didn't see anything talk about that on the main page about mapping.)
You would create a tileset. This is a graphic file on which a grid of 32x32 is put on, then it is used with the mapping program tiled to place single 32x32 tiles on the map. That means the items need be placed on the tileset file in a way that it aligns with the tileset that contains the carts. A map has several layers, so different tiles can be put over each other.
This is a bit difficult to imagine, so I suggest to look at some maps in tiled and turn on/off the visibility of the layers, and maybe place some additional tiles just to see how it looks. To be able to look at the maps, the tilesets have to be in the correct relative path to the map files. The easiest way to get that is to clone or download the repository that contains the client-data: https://github.com/themanaworld/tmwa-client-data

About what items to place on the tileset and about their size, I agree with Crush. Feel free to create graphics of different kinds of items that make sense to be sold at a bazaar (could be clothes and other equipment, food, tools, decoration items, ...).
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Ill join and help with it
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
eiseras
Newly Registered User

Post by eiseras »

kook wrote:Somebody on irc perhaps in #tmw-art will probably answer those and all the other questions you will have. Just remember to hang around long enough and dont give up when they tell you to pack your cakes and GTFO :lol:
Thank you for warning me that may happen xD.
Jenalya wrote:
eiseras wrote:To clarify, I would make the item and then tell someone the coordinates that it should be placed? (I didn't see anything talk about that on the main page about mapping.)
You would create a tileset. This is a graphic file on which a grid of 32x32 is put on, then it is used with the mapping program tiled to place single 32x32 tiles on the map. That means the items need be placed on the tileset file in a way that it aligns with the tileset that contains the carts. A map has several layers, so different tiles can be put over each other..
Thank you! This certainly answers my question.
Nard wrote:Ill join and help with it
Cool. I probably won't be able to work on it until the weekend unless I ignore my homework (which I won't, hopefully).
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

Also take a look at my topic from years ago:
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... ket#p53542

If you want the unfinished sourcefiles of that market, feel free to contact me after the weekend (dont have time right now / this weekend), then I can send them to you. Though finishing that market is a LOT more work than adding pies on the current tiles. So you may not want to do that if you don't have much time.

Anyway, good luck!