Suggestion on PVP

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

veryape
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Suggestion on PVP

Post by veryape »

Hi!

I think that the PVP element in themanaworld is more of an annoyance than anything that gives me (and most of the other players) any joy in the way it is implemented now. I myself has only killed friends out of clumsyness or hunted down people (along with a few friends) that has killed me.

I appreciate tux9ths efforts with the new pvp area under Hurnscald but unfortunately it is mostly inactive.

What I would like is something along the lines of the arena in Oblivion where you can fight other players and rank up.
I think that a sign that you could interact with that shows you a leaderboard of the most powerful pvp-players and challenge them to climb on the board yourself.

It would be nice to have 1vs1 and team-fights with 2 or 4 per team challenging eachother.

Hopefully this would get the pvp-lovers less active in the terra cave and let us lvl 80-something get our oar in piece and give them a new, fun challenge at high level, to get to the top at the pvp-board. It would be cool if they had a special hat or something that could only be worn if you're top three in the pvp arena as a status symbol..

Just a thought, does anyone has any imput/similar suggestions?

(Sorry in advance for grammar/spelling, I'm a bit to lazy to check for that kind of thing right now)
Ablu
Manasource
Manasource

Re: Suggestion on PVP

Post by Ablu »

Yeah i really like this and we planned something similar to this for Invertika back then. I think there is still half finished code inside invertikas repo (but manaserv based of course).

For invertika we planned it as pvp and pvm arena. So either fight against other players for a rank or fight together with other people against mobs (in TMW this is maybe already covered by candor). The plan was to have ranks and a ladder. Issues were that people from outside who are watching can help the players inside (like with heal in TMW (in invertika problem were indirect damage items)). I am not sure how flexible the server is at disallowing spells for specators in the arena. I think blocking out specators might be boring since nobody can watch the matches then.
Speiros02
Novice
Novice

Post by Speiros02 »

Interesting, and a good idea. I like the idea of people having these places that they enjoy, and also like that there would be some place for those who don't like PvP (like me) to farm certain things. I hope that there are plenty of places for PvP as many do enjoy it, but also an alternative option, as I hear (but could be wrong) that for instance, terranite ore can't be farmed except for in a PvP cave. This makes it hard and frustrating if someone wants to just peacefully harvest at a moderate level.

A name is to be chosen rather than abundant riches...Solomon's words (Pr.22:1)

[url=http://speirosmusic.tumblr.com]Speiros' music page[/url]

A.K.A "Speiros"...(not being smart...this name is speiros)

veryape
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by veryape »

Ablu wrote:Yeah i really like this and we planned something similar to this for Invertika back then. I think there is still half finished code inside invertikas repo (but manaserv based of course).

For invertika we planned it as pvp and pvm arena. So either fight against other players for a rank or fight together with other people against mobs (in TMW this is maybe already covered by candor). The plan was to have ranks and a ladder. Issues were that people from outside who are watching can help the players inside (like with heal in TMW (in invertika problem were indirect damage items)). I am not sure how flexible the server is at disallowing spells for specators in the arena. I think blocking out specators might be boring since nobody can watch the matches then.
Yeah exactly, right now pvp is mostly an annoyance for me, when i kill i do it by misstake by not switching target after healing them. It's just not all that fun the way it is now. But i can really see it being something that high level characters can enjoy when all the quests are done. Even if they participate in candor and cindy-quests they don't come along all that often. It would be a nice challenge for them too.

The price could be the golden warlord plate that is already in game but not used for anything as it is now.

And this thing about watching the fights, is that really necessary? Ok, it would be cool. but i think that a leaderbord with rankings should be enough. If a fight is really talked up in the community the ones participating could make a youtube video for everyone to see later, right?
Travolta
Novice
Novice

Post by Travolta »

I support the idea, because some jerks and cowards might lose interest in game and finally leave us alone.
tux9th
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by tux9th »

Just to get this right.
You wish for a Duel Arena where you can fight and get some kind of reward. This reward should be aquired by points you get in the fight.
I think I have an idea how to do that:

First we need something similar to Brodomir. A where you write down names pay a little fee or maybe none to participate. Then you can choose who you fight against (ofc this person has to be in the same room). Once that stage is done you get warped into the battle room where you can fight. The winner gets something like "Boss Points". You acquire a certain amount. This amount could be calculated by level of player1, Level of player2, difference of levels. Then there is a board somewhere (which is also just a NPC) who lists the players in a Dialogue who are the best. This should be similar to the fluffy killing count.
Once this is done we can think about ways to pay with the PvP Points you acquire. There is a special NPC where you can buy stuff once your PvP Point count has reached a certain amount. This should be similar to the WoW-PvP Cabin where you can buy stuff at certain ranks. I'm not sure what we could sell there but ammo etc. would be a start. You have to buy that stuff with GP though as the PvP-Points are just a status which give you a position on the ladder and the rank required to buy stuff from certain NPCs.

Regarding teamfights:
I have no idea how to do that yet but maybe I'll come up with something.

please comment. It would be great if any Dev could check if what I wrote is possible to realize.

greetings tuX9th
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

tux9th wrote:It would be great if any Dev could check if what I wrote is possible to realize.
What you described sounds possible to implement. Though the NPC where you can buy things based on your rank might be a bit unhandy, since it's not possible to have conditional shops, it'd need to be entirely scripted.
If someone would like to work on this, I suggest to use the arena in Tulimshar, since it's already there, and modify Phaet's script to take the role of registering the opponents. Eventually he could also keep his current functionality and offer it as 'training fight'.
alastrim
Novice
Novice

Post by alastrim »

ablu/Jenalya: I always wanted to do something like this. I will see if I start working on something and post the progress on this topic.
tux9th
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by tux9th »

I would do the shops similar to the one in WoW where there are 15 ranks ergo 15 shops.
we don't need 15 ranks though *lol*
one would be a good start where you can buy stuff at a certain amount of points

greets
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

For team fights, just join a party and set the pvp_noparty mapflag
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
0x0BAL
Peon
Peon

Post by 0x0BAL »

On brasilian server, they have make an Arena, where they fight and they reward the winners.
veryape
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by veryape »

Tux idea sounds nice, where you can buy stuff for pvp-points.

My initial idea was that the highest ranked one would be crowned Champion and that he alone would have some cool bling special item (like a Crown or a belt (instead of a shirt or chest-armour) or maybe just the golden warlord-kit. But I don't know if it is possible to have one such thing that automatically gets taken from his inventory if he is no longer ranked as no 1.

However i'm no dev and i ain't got any idea of what is doable.

However i feel that it will be something nice for the ones that has done every quest and leveled to 99.

But I really do like what i am seeing here and that devs are interested in the concept!
ali.footballist
Peon
Peon

Post by ali.footballist »

So then if I have 2 char then I can lvl up fast. Or I can ask my friend to die so then I can buy new things.This idea looks similar to some famous mmo rpg games like (wow). And in pvp fights the lvl 90 will surely win because there are a few powerful items in tmw.but I still think that it can be a good idea if developers work on that.
Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

I remember speaking to someone about this before. I know I mentioned spectators, but what I really wanted was to be able to bet. You would have to do odds, like the races. Base it off of stats and equipped items. Maybe focus skill too, If possible and better if you can 'lock' the equipped items of both players to not upset the odds. I'm not much of a gambler in real life, but would love it here.
veryape wrote:I think that a sign that you could interact with that shows you a leaderboard of the most powerful pvp-players and challenge them to climb on the board yourself.
agreed
veryape wrote:I think that the PVP element in themanaworld is more of an annoyance than anything
Sometimes, yes. Especially if it's your first character, but having PVP where you hunt a particular item is a good thing, I think, but only because the terra items are mostly useless. They are more like the ring. What you want when you have everything else. Spend it all on a +1 item. other than that, they are just a fraction of protection from mages in the cave.
Ablu wrote:I think blocking out specators might be boring since nobody can watch the matches then.
Yes, it sure would be nice if possible.
_Speiros_ wrote:terranite ore can't be farmed except for in a PvP cave. This makes it hard and frustrating if someone wants to just peacefully harvest at a moderate level.
Right. This causes conflict and makes you want to rally. To team up with others to accomplish a task to ... adventure! Believe me, I've been on the losing end plenty of times, but you always get a cahnce to strike back and others will always want to hunt Terra ore too. There would be no teams, if there were no oppositions. The big problem is most players take the PVP too serious. Have fun with it, I say.
veryape wrote:when i kill i do it by misstake by not switching target after healing them.
Manaplus allows you to select who you do and don't attack by relations. Take a look through settings. The yellow bar does more than I knew it did.
o11c wrote:For team fights, just join a party and set the pvp_noparty mapflag
Not good for those that won't leave their party though. To some, party's are supposed to be permanent.
veryape wrote:the highest ranked one would be crowned Champion and that he alone would have some cool bling special item
I have mentioned before that I would love to see an 'artifact', as others put it. One that gives some type of bonus (exp would be nice), but it would make you a slave to it too as you could be summoned under certain conditions (more than one player - costly to do... whatever) and then have to defend that item or lose it. Maybe the item could be one of those non-item items, like when you pick up the simple ring before it is actually yours, if a real item doesn't work. There could be many PVP scenarios all at one arena.
ali.footballist wrote: So then if I have 2 char then I can lvl up fast. Or I can ask my friend to die so then I can buy new things.This idea looks similar to some famous mmo rpg games like (wow).
Good point, and yes PVP should give exp always, I think. Otherwise, why bother? I know a good answer, but it is scary.... the bet between players is exp .... what you win, the other loses... it also brings new player dynamics to the game and makes you hesitate to enter. It should be scary, but there also should be a cap..... ???? Mwahahahahaahahahhaaa!!!!

Ledmitz = Ardits = KillerBee = Mystic = Mystical_Servant = Tipsy Skeleton = BoomBoom = Cloak

Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

_Speiros_ wrote:terranite ore can't be farmed except for in a PvP cave. This makes it hard and frustrating if someone wants to just peacefully harvest at a moderate level.
At the moment Amethyst can also be only got in this place. I guess that terranites and items that you can get from terranite ore were released only to incite players to pratice PvP.

The result of this release is rather ambiguous in my opinion. On one side, it is nice that players who like PvP can pratice it and train for free. It is also fun that some players can play evil role of bandit or as Amos did it, bounty hunter or wages killer. On the other side the stakes and difficulties to retrieve the drops from that place make a lot of grinders feel harassed when they are attacked with no special reason and trolled to incite them to fight. The result is sometimes bad relations between players instead of increased fun.

I support the idea of pvp for reward as tux9th (and past HMC or CRC events) introduced it. The possibility of an arena, with betting and watching seems a rather nice idea that I share. If there was a possibility to @hide the public ... :)

There is also the possibility of "castles" and gvg wars but as long as o11c decides to suppress the code ... :'(
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.