The future of the tmw branding package

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

The future of the tmw branding package

Post by o11c »

1. Make the 'tmw' package depend on mana OR manaplus
    • This would require some logic changes in the wrapper script - what should 'tmw' do if both mana and manaplus are installed?
    • Or should we ship a 'tmwplus' script in addition (meaning one of the scripts is dead if the corresponding package is installed) This is what I have on my personal computers - if I've been online you can see Manaplus (Linux; tmw) in versions.php
  2. Drop it entirely, or ship it with ManaPlus
    • Obvious semantics post-transition
    • How does manaplus get automatically installed if the user currently only has tmw+mana?
  3. ???
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Ablu
Manasource
Manasource

Re: The future of the tmw branding package

Post by Ablu »

If you would get manaplus into Fedora and Debian/Ubuntu you could just edit the tmw branding package to use manaplus as dependency. That would autoupdate everybody.

However it might be interesting for us on manasource to use the existing packagename mana for shipping the qt based client (which probably wont support tmwAthena as it looks). If we decide to do that tmw cannot keep depending on mana. So the Debian and Fedora package for tmw would have to move to the unoffical repositories if there is no manaplus package in the official repositroies.

Regards
Ablu
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Sorry if this wasn't clear: The problem is that the 'tmw' script (and also 'tmw.desktop') is that it has to hard-code the name of the 'mana'-compatible executable.

I guess one other solution would involve virtual packages and/or dpkg-divert ...
Ablu
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Ablu »

For information: I am working on getting manaplus into Fedora. So if the branding is done the tmw package can get changed to depend on manaplus.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

The solution I have chosen is to change the branding to only work with manaplus, not mana.

Anyone who needs it the other way can just use the old branding package.
Ablu
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Ablu »

The next fedora release will make you install manaplus instead of mana then. Changing this for old versions is not allowed since it is a "major" change.

Regards and a nice weekend,
Ablu