i have a brilliant idea for some new dye's for clothe's

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Sharona
Peon
Peon

i have a brilliant idea for some new dye's for clothe's

Post by Sharona »

I've noticed there's only a few choice's for dye's such as black, orange, dark blue, light blue, yellow, purple, red, green, and dark green.

and those have been the only available colors to choose from since well i guess since dye's first came in this game.

I really would like to see new color's that can be used as dye's such as lavender and/or turquoise, maybe even a rainbow deluxe dye which is only obtainable through a quest.

it would most defiantly broaden the choices, i mean lavender dyed on a v-neck its a rather nice color :3 or rainbow cotton trousers.

i have tons of idea's and i use to write quest's for another server years back before i eventually quit and focused on my own life for awhile.

Id like to know if we the players of TMW can have new dye's?

What will it take for it to happen?

And whats your opinion on this idea?

i personally after awhile get bored of seeing the same old colors i mean yes sure there's plenty of new items to dye and i think a few which you can use two dye's on, but its time we have more variety in color :D!
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Re: i have a brilliant idea for some new dye's for clothe's

Post by o11c »

adding new dyes is complicated, because the client doesn't support server-side dye, so we have to create a new item clone for each new color
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Sharona
Peon
Peon

Post by Sharona »

o11c wrote:adding new dyes is complicated, because the client doesn't support server-side dye, so we have to create a new item clone for each new color
Oh so im guessing it would be rather complicated to do, and no one would pretty much have the time to waste on even creating it. But what if it was a pre dye'd item itself that was made for a specific quest?
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

Sharona wrote:
o11c wrote:adding new dyes is complicated, because the client doesn't support server-side dye, so we have to create a new item clone for each new color
Oh so im guessing it would be rather complicated to do, and no one would pretty much have the time to waste on even creating it. But what if it was a pre dye'd item itself that was made for a specific quest?
There'll be some problems with old dye items, but it's not impossible to add a new dye. The only impossible thing is to add a rainbow dye. :)
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
Ablu
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Ablu »

Of course you can dye something to rainbow deluxe. You only need to defined a palette and the replace it with the dye. For rainbow you maybe need a lot of colours. But it should be perfectly possible.

Regards
Ablu
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

Ablu wrote:Of course you can dye something to rainbow deluxe. You only need to defined a palette and the replace it with the dye. For rainbow you maybe need a lot of colours. But it should be perfectly possible.

Regards
Ablu
He was talking about old and current clothes, it's perfectly impossible that TMW can handle the change of actual palettes on every clothes (and even only one) to rainbow-compatible ones, the amount of work is really big, and useless.
And even from a tehorically point, mana client doesn't support it, because the actual dye way is too instable. (It mix colors between each others, which make it very hazardous to creat a "rainbow" dye. (I speak with experience...))
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Creating a rainbow-colored version of an individual equipment piece would be possible for a pixel artist. But I wouldn't use the sprite coloring system for that. I would just draw the real colors right to the image.

When you hand-pixel it, I would estimate about a full day of work per equipment piece. But maybe it could be done faster by just drawing a rainbow gradient (in multiplication mode to preserve the shading) over each frame.

By the way: Did you know that it is possible to have equipment which is animated even when the character is standing?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Lota
Peon
Peon

Post by Lota »

Crush wrote:By the way: Did you know that it is possible to have equipment which is animated even when the character is standing?
It would be great ! Something like a tail short or an Halloween living hat...
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

When you have a look at the dyed items in our item database: https://github.com/themanaworld/tmwa-se ... b.txt#L493, you will notice that there is for each kind of item (e.g. the Cotton Shirt) the same order of colors, going from red to dark green. After the dark green of one kind there is the next item in red.
The dyer's script (https://github.com/themanaworld/tmwa-se ... im.txt#L43) needs the id of the red item, and then adds depending on the color a value between 0 and 9 to get the id of the correctly colored item.
That means if we want to add more colors, we can't extend this system, but would need to add the new colored items in a new id range, and the dyer's script would need to work with these two different color ranges. This is a bit ugly, but possible.

There is actually the idea to add a new dyer NPC who offers different colors - it is/was planned to be located in Thermin. But there isn't any progress on the Thermin tileset. The story for this is, that in Thermin they developed a new dyeing technique, which makes different colors possible, which also would depend on different items to create them.
Sharona
Peon
Peon

Post by Sharona »

Jenalya wrote:When you have a look at the dyed items in our item database: https://github.com/themanaworld/tmwa-se ... b.txt#L493, you will notice that there is for each kind of item (e.g. the Cotton Shirt) the same order of colors, going from red to dark green. After the dark green of one kind there is the next item in red.
The dyer's script (https://github.com/themanaworld/tmwa-se ... im.txt#L43) needs the id of the red item, and then adds depending on the color a value between 0 and 9 to get the id of the correctly colored item.
That means if we want to add more colors, we can't extend this system, but would need to add the new colored items in a new id range, and the dyer's script would need to work with these two different color ranges. This is a bit ugly, but possible.

There is actually the idea to add a new dyer NPC who offers different colors - it is/was planned to be located in Thermin. But there isn't any progress on the Thermin tileset. The story for this is, that in Thermin they developed a new dyeing technique, which makes different colors possible, which also would depend on different items to create them.
thank you for the information :D
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

cody wrote:
Are you saying that the server supports dye? I know of discussions about how to add this to ManaServ, but I have never heard that TMW-eA already supports it.
Well, it used to. Since the client doesn't support it, it's on the "scrapped" list; it can easily be reimplemented in a more flexible way (currently it supports only one dye per character, not per piece of equipment). And now that I think about it, I think the old TMW people removed it from the network layer in favor of more equipment slots, but we *do* still have some "holes" in the packets.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
blackrazor
Warrior
Warrior

Post by blackrazor »

Crush wrote: By the way: Did you know that it is possible to have equipment which is animated even when the character is standing?
Doesn't the Candle Helmet do this? It's one of my favourite hats because the flame is animated.