A suggestion for a new quest - fishing -

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Joseph^Sod
Newly Registered User

A suggestion for a new quest - fishing -

Post by Joseph^Sod »

Hello Everyone , So i like to fish(i live in Montana) and was wondering why not have a fishing quest here in the mana world,
there's alot of good fishing holes around the world by the looks of wandering around the map's ... but we have no fish.

Some idea's could be that the oldman holds the record for the largest fish but his wife the (old woman) wont let him fish anymore and hes craving some smoked fish.

smoked fish could be a new food source in the game.

raw log's could be gathered for the smoking, worm's for bait and the fish could drop rare items... that they would have eaten.

part of the quest could be to create a fishing pole & basket(to hold the fish) and helping the oldman with his craving for fish. after that you could fish and give the supplies to the old man for smoked fish, food source.

for the sea area's you could have electric eel's that do something for the magic user's idk just a suggestion

animation could be random fish jumping or rolling in the water's , just something simple.
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: A suggestion for a new quest - fishing -

Post by Jenalya »

That's an interesting idea. What I didn't understand was how you intend the actual fishing to take place. Do you mean it as kind of a minigame (similiar to shooting at the target at Gwendolyn or brewing monster oil) or as some form of fighting against fish monsters? Or something completely different?

About the story, what's the reason the old woman forbids the old man to go fishing?
Joseph^Sod
Newly Registered User

Post by Joseph^Sod »

jenalya, well im not sure on the game mechanic's but it could be a mini-game(i guess like a daily quest) that after completed it offers a source for food. I suppose it could be like the clover patches if you see a area where fish are jumping you click (with your fishing pole equipped) and fish but it could be like a attack but instead of a sword it would be a fishing pole casting... idk just a thought.

and as for the story with the old couple, could be something like he stays gone fishing too long and she wants him home and is concerned with his health and welfare at his advanced age... and he just wants to fish... :)
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Joseph^Sod wrote:jenalya, well im not sure on the game mechanic's but it could be a mini-game(i guess like a daily quest) that after completed it offers a source for food. I suppose it could be like the clover patches if you see a area where fish are jumping you click (with your fishing pole equipped) and fish but it could be like a attack but instead of a sword it would be a fishing pole casting... idk just a thought.
A kind of turn text based battle with a NPC like in Dungeons & Dragons ? I can't wait until I get my first ingrav-roasted troutboo :P
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
Rill
Novice
Novice

Post by Rill »

Nard wrote:I can't wait until I get my first ingrav-roasted troutboo :P
Or maybe some nice rainboo trout. :D
Joseph^Sod
Newly Registered User

Post by Joseph^Sod »

lol :)
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

Joseph^Sod wrote:jenalya, well im not sure on the game mechanic's but it could be a mini-game(i guess like a daily quest) that after completed it offers a source for food. I suppose it could be like the clover patches if you see a area where fish are jumping you click (with your fishing pole equipped) and fish but it could be like a attack but instead of a sword it would be a fishing pole casting... idk just a thought.
I can see different possibilities to implement something like this (as monster spawns, as npcs with minigame...), it'd be needed to try them out/think about them in detail to see which fits best. Personally I don't have time for this project at the moment, but if you, or any contributor or someone who would like to become a contributor is interested in looking into this, that'd be nice. :)
In any case I added a reference to this topic on the Trello Board about content development, so it's less likely to get completely forgotten: https://trello.com/card/fishing/4efa1aa ... b50e779/52
bell chick
Novice
Novice

Post by bell chick »

one simple way i envision and have seen in other games is to have the player select his pole. the player then sits at the hole with the pole extended over the water. the player sits and waits, after a random amount of time a message shows over the players head telling them they have a bite. at that point the player has a set number of seconds to hit the attack button and reel in the fish. if the player is too slow the fish goes on its way and the player will have to wait again.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

we *can* do timer-based things with NPC dialogs or with OnDeath labels.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
triforce_hyrule
Novice
Novice

Post by triforce_hyrule »

exelent idea!!!!! a nice game to pass time
Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.

--Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

triforce_hyrule wrote:exelent idea!!!!! a nice game to pass time
Like chilling at the fishing place in Ocarina of Time, right next to Hylia Lake?
Was a very nice minigame to pass the time and I also think this would be great in TMW.
Main characters:
Lv.94 - Cassy - speedarcher on dark path, bunny-wannabe, would like to ride on a Mouboo once...
Lv.95 - Biqcassy - mage on light path, addicted to her Fluffy Hat, love-hates Fallens, really misses Confused Tree...
Lv.70 - Simca. - dreams of becoming a speedarcher on light path, still has a lot to learn...

Personal development overview | priorities | wiki to-do | wiki profile incl. other characters

[20:24:59] <Cassy> debug npc in crypts!
[20:25:02] <Cassy> just a joke...
[20:25:08] <wushin> DONT DO THAT
[20:25:10] <o11c> !slap Cassy
cinderweb
Peon
Peon

Post by cinderweb »

I like this idea myself.