A few ideas to improve newby retention

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

bell chick
Novice
Novice

A few ideas to improve newby retention

Post by bell chick »

One issue ive seen is all the newbies are in tulimshar while most of the player base is in hurnscald. This can leave impressions of the game being dead, also newbies can get less chance of help in being established. One easy fix i see to this is adding dialogue to the script of one or multiple key npcs suggesting to the player to take a trip to hurnscald. Itd also be nice tp possibly give the newby a one time free trip to hurn to help them get to where all the players are even sooner.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: A few ideas to improve newby retention

Post by Crush »

As far as I know the content developers are currently working on a big expansion of the desert area. When this includes some content attractive for high-levels, you will likely see a lot more veterans in the area.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
bell chick
Novice
Novice

Post by bell chick »

Crush wrote:As far as I know the content developers are currently working on a big expansion of the desert area. When this includes some content attractive for high-levels, you will likely see a lot more veterans in the area.
but doesnt the new content also come with a new town at some point as i recall? i agree that new cvontent in general area cold make a difference. this was intended as a simple more immediate fix that should be easy to throw in and delete later if it became no longer needed
Jenalya
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Jenalya »

Wushin is working on quite a lot of content targeted at Tulimshar and the area around it. One quest in that context is ready for testing: http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 13&t=17304 and since it's repeatable, I hope it might lead players to Tulimshar regularly. Everyone can help to get it ready for release by testing and giving feeback.

Regarding 'short-time fixes' to point the players to Hurnscald in npc dialogs, this is partly already done, e.g. in the Magic Fertilizer quest, or the gossip lady suggests that after you completed the south tulimshar quest series.
There probably could be added more dialog to do that, but it still requires some thinking about which npc could do that in what way, context and storywise. If you'd be interested to do that, you can find the npc scripts in the server-data repository: https://github.com/themanaworld/tmwa-server-data
Specifically in the subfolder world/map/npc, there they are sorted by map.